• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Disney will release Avengers and Iron Man 3

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
Just came in from The Wrap. Paramount got a $115 payout from Disney, and now all the worldwide distribution rights for Iron Man 3 and Avengers fall under Disney.

Veeeeery interesting.

I wonder how Thor and Cap will perform and how this could affect the Disney ownership or view on Marvel IP.

From the link:

BURBANK, Calif. – October 18, 2010 – The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios announced they have reached an agreement under which Paramount will transfer its worldwide marketing and distribution rights to Disney for Marvel Studios’ The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Paramount will remain the worldwide distributor of the upcoming films, Thor and Captain America, as well as the previously released Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Under terms of the new deal, Disney will pay Paramount $115 million for the transfer of the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers to be paid on the theatrical release dates. These monies will serve as a minimum guarantee against the distribution fees.

“In completing this agreement, Disney will now assume worldwide marketing and distribution of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 and leverage these two highly-anticipated films across the multiple global platforms of The Walt Disney Company,” said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “We appreciate the tremendous momentum that Paramount established with these iconic Marvel characters and look forward to propelling the brand even further in the coming years.”

“Five years ago, when Paramount and Marvel made our initial deal, both our businesses were in very different places,” said Brad Grey, Chairman & CEO of Paramount Pictures. “We are grateful for the partnership we have had with the terrific Marvel team over these years and proud of the work we have done together. Today, this new agreement is the right deal for Paramount, for Marvel and for Disney. We look forward to working together on Thor and Captain America, and we wish Disney and Marvel the utmost success, in what we know will be a very productive and wide-ranging partnership.”

Well is good to know finally which movies Disney will distribute first.

Wow. Disney is SERIOUS.

But, Paramount is another big successful studio with many multi-million dollar franchises. So in reality, this wasn't much of a loss for them.

Fox or Sony won't be this easy. And I'm not even sure if Disney/Marvel even WANT those films. It's probably still in their best interest to have Fox and Sony cranking out other Marvel movies.

Well is good to know finally which movies Disney will distribute first.

That and hopefully the marketing will be better. TIH got screwed when it came to advertisements. I have a feeling either Thor or Cap will get the same. Most likely Cap since he comes out after Thor.

So does this mean that Disney will distribute the films under its Touchstone Pictures label? Or will it be part of the POTC/POP Disney label with PG-13 ratings?

Wow. Disney is SERIOUS.

But, Paramount is another big successful studio with many multi-million dollar franchises. So in reality, this wasn't much of a loss for them.

Fox or Sony won't be this easy. And I'm not even sure if Disney/Marvel even WANT those films. It's probably still in their best interest to have Fox and Sony cranking out other Marvel movies.
I'm fairly sure that Disney wants Marvel's top franchises. They are not going to let them keep X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Cause when it comes down to it all Marvel's most recognizable characters to general audiences are those, or were until the recent surprise success of Iron Man.

I think this is just the beginning, and I'm sure Disney will try to get the properties back from Fox and Sony because I don't see why Disney will stay idly by while Marvel's biggest superheroes like Spider-man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four will remain with their rival studios. Disney did not acquire Marvel just so other companies will make money off properties that are theirs. I think Sony is doing well with their Marvel licenses overall (Spider-man 3 & Ghost Rider notwithstanding), but they need to go after Fox's stranglehold on X-Men and FF seriously.

So does this mean that Disney will distribute the films under its Touchstone Pictures label? Or will it be part of the POTC/POP Disney label with PG-13 ratings?

I'm pretty sure the movies will be release under the Disney banner. Touchstone Pictures usually distribute movie with a bit more matures themes those that are released under the Disney banner.

I'm fairly sure that Disney wants Marvel's top franchises. They are not going to let them keep X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Cause when it comes down to it all Marvel's most recognizable characters to general audiences are those, or were until the recent surprise success of Iron Man.

Disney may want them but there's no way Sony or Fox will sell any of those properties back to Disney, anytime soon.

What studio in the right mind would sell off a billion dollar franchise like Spider-Man?

Deadline touches on this, in their article:

We don't believe that Disney will try to buy up other Marvel franchises that are tent poles for other studios, like Spider-Man, X-Men and other franchises. Sony, Fox and other studios can hang onto those titles as long as they keep making payments and occasional movies that they finance. The difference here is that the films under the Paramount deal are the ones that Marvel Studios began funding under its $500 million credit line with Merrill Lynch, an accommodation made before the studio was bought by Bob Iger last year for $4 billion.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/disney-paramount-marvel-restructure-marketing-distruibution-deal/

and now all the worldwide distribution rights for Iron Man 3 and Avengers fall under Disney.

Almost, but not quite. ePix, the new movie channel founded by Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM, has exclusive pay TV rights to The Avengers.

LOL, tomato tomoto.

I was referring to theatrical more so than TV.

Basically based on the elaborated commentary by Nikki Finke, this works out for Paramount that they basically would get a similar amount from their existing distribution deal without having to deal with the extra cost of P&A and manpower on all the movies. So I guess it works out well for them. For Disney it keeps the big IP and tentpole franchises under their banner. Also at the end of the day, Paramount was merely a distributor, they weren't the producer.

So basically anything not Daredevil, X-men, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man now falls under Disney.

Honestly here is what I would like to see, Marvel and/or Disney try and throw their weight around and use characters that previously fell under Sony or Fox but that they aren't or haven't used. Just curious what the statute of limitations on certain characters that never see the light of day is.

Maybe not X-men but I can see Fox losing Fantastic Four and Daredevil soon enough.Especially Daredevil since it's been five years since the last movie related to the property was released.I mean they got Punisher back rather easily why not Daredevil?

Here's the thing though, if Disney wants something it has the means to get it and Fox and Sony will look like ants next to Disney. Technically when it all comes down to it, because of Disney now owning Marvel Entertainment as a whole. Spider-Man, X-Men, and other franchises outsourced BELONG to them.

The only reason those franchises have not been snatched away from them before is because Marvel did not have the power source that is Disney behind them. You best believe if Disney were to want those franchises. They'd get them. Not saying it'll be immediate, but it will happen in the future.

They won't lose Fantastic Four if they release their stupid reboot version.

They need to stop fooling themselves and let go of Daredevil already.

I'm sure Disney wants all of them, but this is also Newscorp. and Fox we are talking about.

Disney may want them but there's no way Sony or Fox will sell any of those properties back to Disney, anytime soon.

What studio in the right mind would sell off a billion dollar franchise like Spider-Man?

Deadline touches on this, in their article:

Sigh, I guess Fox will be making movies based on Dazzler if it means they can keep the rights of X-Men and other Marvel properties indefinitely. :cmad:

They won't lose Fantastic Four if they release their stupid reboot version.

They need to stop fooling themselves and let go of Daredevil already.

I'm sure Disney wants all of them, but this is also Newscorp. and Fox we are talking about.

Yeah, I don't understand why Fox is trying to hold on to Daredevil. I mean, are they really going to make a reboot off the Man Without Fear? It seems like they just want to maintain the license just to keep it away from Marvel and Disney.

Huh kinda pissed DC didn't jump on 2013's opening summer date wit would be nice if the company could open instead of marvel for once, but whatever.

So who is under what now.

Disney has all of marvel except for

X-men, daredevil, and f4 which are at fox and spider-man which is at sony?

Yeah, I don't understand why Fox is trying to hold on to Daredevil. I mean, are they really going to make a reboot off the Man Without Fear? It seems like they just want to maintain the license just to keep it away from Marvel and Disney.
That's pretty much it. Remember unlike Paramount, Fox are more than just distributors of these movies.

Huh kinda pissed DC didn't jump on 2013's opening summer date wit would be nice if the company could open instead of marvel for once, but whatever.

So who is under what now.

Disney has all of marvel except for

X-men, daredevil, and f4 which are at fox and spider-man which is at sony?
Ghost Rider is also at Sony.

If they don't make a daredevil or f4 film soon will they just lose the rights back to marvel and therefore disney?

I would think that if the families of the guys who created Superman can find a way to get the rights back then Disney could also find a way of getting the rights back to the Marvel properties when the time comes.

So does this mean that The Avengers and Iron Man 3 will have more money to work with? If so, I'm Disney will give them way more money to work with than Paramount ever would

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"