• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Animation Disney's 'Moana'

It won't have anything against it till Lego Batman, another couple weeks out.

Saw this yesterday, magical film! I thought the mythology was wonderful and felt so fresh and creative and served the regular heroes journey story of Moana and the redemption journey of Maui, perfectly, both are great characters, entertaining and likable with a dynamic that clicks from their first scene together.

Visually the film makes the most of it's distinctive setting in the same way Frozen did and is absolutely stunning, and the imagination on show with some of the sequences within was just a joy to watch. Musically the songs are decent but not the movie's strongest point, however they are still pleasent enough bar the crab one.

After listening to Lira's iteration of "How Far I'll Go", I wish her performance was used for the U.S. version of the end credits.

After listening to Lira's iteration of "How Far I'll Go", I wish her performance was used for the U.S. version of the end credits.

I like this a lot better than that pop version they had on the U.S release (Can't remember the singer now)

I really enjoyed the movie. It is visually amazing. The story is very satisfying at many levels and the songs are worked well into the narrative.

Moana is my favorite Disney lead in a long time.

The film has just crept up on 600m WW. Pretty impressive.

I need to look up the roll out plan. Because I remember the international number being pretty low for a while. Now it is over 350m.

The roll out overseas was very slow, thats why the numbers were so low for so long.

I really enjoyed this, even though it had the usual buddy road trip stuff and villain twist from their recent animated films. I do wish Disney animation would try a different formula now.

I wonder what will happen now. Will Disney give this a sequel like Frozen and Wreck it Ralph or dump it on tv as an animated series like Big Hero Six and Tangled.

Saw the DVD design today and was surprised to see that Maui is MUCH more prominent on the cover than Moana. She's sort of stuck off to the side, almost like Disney just sort of threw her on there as an afterthought.

Saw the DVD design today and was surprised to see that Maui is MUCH more prominent on the cover than Moana. She's sort of stuck off to the side, almost like Disney just sort of threw her on there as an afterthought.
I don't like that.
It's called Moana, not Maui.

We've had this same argument when the trailers came out.

They need to advertize Maui to draw in the boy demographic. We all know Moana is definitely front and center in the movie itself.

The film has just crept up on 600m WW. Pretty impressive.

Impressive? Depends on how much it cost to make the movie. Disney hasn't officially announced any budget-numbers for Moana for some reason.

So why didn't they just make a movie about Maui? It seems like that's what they wanted to do anyway.

Maui is ultimately the red herring. Moana herself thinks at first that her role is to lead him to perform the heroic restoration of the world, but at the end, she realizes she has to shoulder the role herself. She is the hero, she is the one who must travel to Oceans End, restore the Heart and save the world.

Maui is just her unreliable sidekick. And she saves him as well, making him the hero he wanted to be, by leading him to follow her footsteps.

That was great, IMO.

Impressive? Depends on how much it cost to make the movie. Disney hasn't officially announced any budget-numbers for Moana for some reason.
it 600m for an animated movie. One not featuring a white lead. It is not only impressive, it is nice bit of evidence that if they build something worth seeing, people will come.

I don't know about the DVD, but the blu ray covers I have seen all feature both prominently. The only difference between that Mau is huge, but usually they are either standing side by side or Moana is standing in front of him.

it 600m for an animated movie. One not featuring a white lead. It is not only impressive, it is nice bit of evidence that if they build something worth seeing, people will come.

Agreed. Films that can be given the opportunity to tell interesting stories that are worth seeing can most certainly be financially viable without needing white leads all the time or as the status quo.

I really enjoyed this, even though it had the usual buddy road trip stuff and villain twist from their recent animated films. I do wish Disney animation would try a different formula now.

I wonder what will happen now. Will Disney give this a sequel like Frozen and Wreck it Ralph or dump it on tv as an animated series like Big Hero Six and Tangled.

How was the villian twist like any of their other films?

How was the villian twist like any of their other films?

Most of their recent films Moana, Frozen, Zootopia, Big hero 6, Wreck it Ralph have villain twist at the end. An unexpected character reveals themselves to be the the villain at the end.

I thought you were saying that they were like the specific twist in this movie not that they have twist in general. I'll never mind a twist so long as it's well executed and they've done alright so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"