Dixie Chicks : How do ya like 'em now?

You know, after looking at King's signature, I suddenly regret being one of those people who only reads Runaways in digest form.

KingOfDreams said:
Really? I don't intend to be mean but I find that kind of odd.

No offense taken. At some point in my mid to late 20s, I lost interest in it. I sold all my tapes and CDs years ago. I turned into a bibliophile so now I listen to audiobooks instead of music. Man, that makes me sound really old. LOL!
I still like Christmas music though.:)

That's cool. I love books almost as equally as I love music. I really have too many interests to keep up with.

Cyclops said:
Because they're country musicians. Their audience is mainly redneck Republicans who love their redneck President. So anything said against him is blasphemy.

the tolerant left speaks lol

I'm Asian, a conservative and yes i would criticize the president now and again, but its better than the alternative loony left. Who have you guys got going for you? A flip/flopping lying gajillionaire (Kerry) a drunken moron (Kennedy) and a frigid also lying ***** (Clinton).

Most these folks voted FOR The war. In case y'all didn't know. The president couldn't just say "I reckon i'mma declare war on Iyraq today" and just start deploying troops. It needs to pass congress approval. And it did.

The more you know....

Franklin Richards said:
Come on. That's just not true. Even if you don't like the style of music, you can't deny that they are great musicians. They play all their own stuff and multiple instruments. Do you know how to play a banjo or a mandolin?

That's just a crap statement Joker.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

I cant play saxaphone either, but Kenny G is still an awful musician. I can't play piano, and I still think Ben Folds should be shot for the crap he makes. It's an opinion, if you don't like it, don't agree with it, but don't insult me.

bulok said:
the tolerant left speaks lol

I'm Asian, a conservative and yes i would criticize the president now and again, but its better than the alternative loony left. Who have you guys got going for you? A flip/flopping lying gajillionaire (Kerry) a drunken moron (Kennedy) and a frigid also lying ***** (Clinton).

Most these folks voted FOR The war. In case y'all didn't know. The president couldn't just say "I reckon i'mma declare war on Iyraq today" and just start deploying troops. It needs to pass congress approval. And it did.

The more you know....

Actually, the patriot act gave him the right to declare war without congress approval.

The more you know...

Patriot act yes but who voted it in? That's right. Congress. Not just Republicans. It had a 98-1 vote in the Senate and 300 something to 60 something in the House.

also the Patriot Act doesn't allow for the US to start war with other nations. All it does is to give more power to the Feds in surveillance and information gathering.

I remember hearing on the news that one of the many things the PATRIOT act did was give the president the right to declare war without it being voted on by the senate. Also, yes, it had a 98-1 vote in, what like, 2, 3 days after 9-11? It was a stupid, knee jerk reaction.

Oh yes, and while many people did agree with the war under false pretenses when it first began, as you can tell my George W's steadily decreasing approval rating, not many people agree with it now.

Cyclops said:
Because they're country musicians. Their audience is mainly redneck Republicans who love their redneck President. So anything said against him is blasphemy.

What a clueless remark this is. Country music has come a long way since the 80's, and that stereotype you speak of doesn't exist at all anymore.

I like their music, but they should just shut their pie holes and play music. That's what they're there for, not to hear their political views. Toby should **** as well along with every other celebrity or musician - shut up, I don't care what you think, entertain me.

LOL people need to stop concentrating on Bush's approval rating. The man's on his way out. This is why the Dems are losing elections, because they focus too much on President Bush. He doesn't have to worry about approval ratings anymore. He doesnt need anybody's vote. Why do you think he's doing all these anti-immigration laws? to get it out to the public, have the general American voters in an uproar and then the next Republican oppose Bush's immigration policy will be hailed as a conservative hero. Then we have another 4 more years of Republican government.

Liberals and Democrats hate Bush so much that they miss the bigger picture and just come out looking like loony toons like Cynthia Mckinney

race-card.gif

If the Dems provided alternative policies instead of rhetoric, then maybe they'd actually win votes outside of their already established constituency.

PS. you are very wrong about the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act only added a few provisions from previous US Anti-Terrorism Acts.

* The inclusion of the Financial Anti-Terrorism Act (H.R. 3004), which expands money laundering abatement to international terrorism. (which thanks to the NY Times is no longer viable since outing the process used :down )

* Immunity against prosecution for the providers of wiretaps in accordance with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978.
* Request for a report on integrating automated fingerprint identification for ports of entry into the United States.
* Start of a foreign student monitoring program.
* Request for machine readable passports.
* Prevention of consulate shopping.
* Expansion of the Biological Weapons Statute.
* Clearer definition of "Electronic Surveillance"
* Miscellaneous benefits for victims of the September 11 attack and extra penalties for those who illegally file for such benefits.

Nothing at all about being able to start war without congress approval.

Oh yes, and while many people did agree with the war under false pretenses when it first began,

heh

Milkman95 said:
What a clueless remark this is. Country music has come a long way since the 80's, and that stereotype you speak of doesn't exist at all anymore.

I like their music, but they should just shut their pie holes and play music. That's what they're there for, not to hear their political views. Toby should **** as well along with every other celebrity or musician - shut up, I don't care what you think, entertain me.

QFT!!! LOL

go to some political rally or benefit or something. I pay 60 bucks to hear you sing. shut your pie holes is right lol

The Joker said:
I cant play saxaphone either, but Kenny G is still an awful musician.

I can't believe I'm about to defend Kenny G...but...from a purely technical perspective, Kenny G is one of the more talented guys to pick up the saxaphone. His skills as a player are pretty damned amazing, actually, and he's one of the few wind players who's capable of doing circular breathing which basically enables him to keep playing non-stop without the need to sneak a breath in. His SONGWRITING is crap, though, and I really can't stand to listen to him because of that.

As far as the Dixie Chicks, my friends and I used to call girls that we weren't really interested in anything but a one night stand with "Dixie Chicks", indicating that we didn't really care for their music but we'd screw 'em. I'm not a country fan (excluding Johnny Cash), so their music has never appealed to me. I'm not their demographic. That said, I admire their courage to stand up for what they believe in and I find it pathetic that not only could three little girls from Texas could see what so much of the country could NOT see at the time, but they were villified for it by all these idiots who've let the neo-con's convince them that saying anything bad about the government means being "Un-American". Good for them for sticking to their guns and standing by their ideals. :up:

jag

The Joker said:
I cant play saxaphone either, but Kenny G is still an awful musician. I can't play piano, and I still think Ben Folds should be shot for the crap he makes. It's an opinion, if you don't like it, don't agree with it, but don't insult me.

Where in my post did I insult you?

:thing: :doom: :thing:

I see that a lot here.
Some people don't understand the distinction between saying "You are crap." and "You just made a crap statement."

they are awsome...they got more "balls" then some men do

bulok said:
A flip/flopping lying gajillionaire (Kerry)

The conservative spin machine conjured this up when kerry said he voted for the war before he voted against it. Many people in Congress did. In the beginning it looked like we had credible justification for war. And besides, every president, modern president at least, is a gajillionnaire, especially Bush. What people call flip-flopping is merely the altering of opinion based on facts, something the Bush administration has not really done. It's stubborn and irresponsible to ignore the facts if they don't suit your agenda. You want lies? Bush and his cronies are like neverending Pez dispensors full of lies.

jaguarr said:
I can't believe I'm about to defend Kenny G...but...from a purely technical perspective, Kenny G is one of the more talented guys to pick up the saxaphone. His skills as a player are pretty damned amazing, actually, and he's one of the few wind players who's capable of doing circular breathing which basically enables him to keep playing non-stop without the need to sneak a breath in. His SONGWRITING is crap, though, and I really can't stand to listen to him because of that.

As far as the Dixie Chicks, my friends and I used to call girls that we weren't really interested in anything but a one night stand with "Dixie Chicks", indicating that we didn't really care for their music but we'd screw 'em. I'm not a country fan (excluding Johnny Cash), so their music has never appealed to me. I'm not their demographic. That said, I admire their courage to stand up for what they believe in and I find it pathetic that not only could three little girls from Texas could see what so much of the country could NOT see at the time, but they were villified for it by all these idiots who've let the neo-con's convince them that saying anything bad about the government means being "Un-American". Good for them for sticking to their guns and standing by their ideals. :up:

jag

OMG you dickwads are totally missing the point. The problem isn't that Dixie Chicks expressed opinions (however given the fanbase are you surprised there is a backlash?), people are pissed because they did it during a concert. Ever hear of the saying about not discussing politics or religion at work? It's a volatile subject and there's a time place and platform for this kinds of talk.

Even the President says the Dixie Chicks are entitled to their opinions,

"[T]he Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say ... They shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street ... I ... don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq ..." [3]

I live in their hometown and everyone here still hates them:down

KingOfDreams said:
The conservative spin machine conjured this up when kerry said he voted for the war before he voted against it. Many people in Congress did. In the beginning it looked like we had credible justification for war. And besides, every president, modern president at least, is a gajillionnaire, especially Bush. What people call flip-flopping is merely the altering of opinion based on facts, something the Bush administration has not really done. It's stubborn and irresponsible to ignore the facts if they don't suit your agenda. You want lies? Bush and his cronies are like neverending Pez dispensors full of lies.

*Ahem* http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1119904/posts *cough*

Still at it...

I never cared about the Dixie Chicks before their comments, nor do I care after they said it. Aside from Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, country music doesn't interest me

chaseter said:
I live in their hometown and everyone here still hates them:down

I live in Austin, thier new hometown and everybody loves them as far as I can tell. But then again, Austin does not really fit the Texas stereotype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"