Django Unchained - Part 2

For me that's it. Foxx as a leading man has never really stood out as having movie star charisma whilst Smith playing a rare joke free character with barely any dialogue in a, imo, lesser film like I AM LEGEND for example commands the screen. Waltz, Leo and Jackson would still have stolen the show but the complaints from some quarters about Django would have been less prevalent if Will had played the part I reckon.

I think it's a combination of the above and I also don't think Jamie was really prepared to be in a western everyone else is perfect but him he just didn't really cut it for me. I would have wanted Will or Idris in this role but I liked that Quentin went for someone of a shorter stature he just went for the wrong someone in my opinion.

Picked up a Futureshop steelbook copy today. :yay:

For me that's it. Foxx as a leading man has never really stood out as having movie star charisma whilst Smith playing a rare joke free character with barely any dialogue in a, imo, lesser film like I AM LEGEND for example commands the screen. Waltz, Leo and Jackson would still have stolen the show but the complaints from some quarters about Django would have been less prevalent if Will had played the part I reckon.

I know it's pointless, but how do you think Tarrence Howard or Jesse L Martin might have done in the role?

Well,
Candie obviously needed to die. Schultz was just too impatient. If they really wanted to kill him, they could have gone back to Candieland later on and finished the job. But then again, who's to say that Candie would have let them walk out of there alive?

Still, he was characterized as somebody who thinks things well through, and this seemed kind of outrageous for him. I didn't like the timing, seemed to rushed to get rid of what was the best character in the movie.

Still, he was characterized as somebody who thinks things well through, and this seemed kind of outrageous for him. I didn't like the timing, seemed to rushed to get rid of what was the best character in the movie.

He was also characterized as someone whose compassion for the plight of slaves completely usurps the practical aspect of his mind. Him helping Django retrieve Broom-Hilda underscores this, as well as other scenes, no?

Love this movie. Everything about it was top notch. Foxx, Waltz, Decaprio, Johnson, and Jackson did EXCELLENT JOBS !!! Kudos, Mr. Tarentino. Flawless victory !!!

Well,
Candie obviously needed to die. Schultz was just too impatient. If they really wanted to kill him, they could have gone back to Candieland later on and finished the job. But then again, who's to say that Candie would have let them walk out of there alive?

Yeah, I get that but
why couldn't Schultz, after shooting Candie, just run to a position to at least try to avoid getting hit? He just stood there! I guess he was shock or something?

Damn, didn't want Schultz to die :(

He was also characterized as someone whose compassion for the plight of slaves completely usurps the practical aspect of his mind. Him helping Django retrieve Broom-Hilda underscores this, as well as other scenes, no?

If that was the case he wouldn't have only given Django his freedom after he helped him with the Brittle Brothers.

I got the 3 combo pack from Target, and I have been trying to download the digital copy from Itunes, and like always, it takes so long that I lose patience and not go through with it. It claims it takes 24 hours, and now 20 hours has gone by and it says it still has nine hours to go. I have downloaded digital copies with no problem from Amazon and I have all three Transformers movies on my PC via digital copy, but anything that sends me to Itunes, is nothing but trouble. Anybody else have this issue?

I have no idea what you are saying here. WTF is unsurp?

Anyways, I think he wanted to help Django free his wife once King found out that she has German connections. I saw it that he was in such awe at the fact that the very man he was traveling with has a wife with a German name and can speak German, of out of all of the slaves he could have freed, he saw it as some sort of fate and felt obligated to free her. I just thought the ending with him was rushed because the movie was pushing over three hours. I'm curious as to what a director's cut might entail.

Last edited:
If that was the case he wouldn't have only given Django his freedom after he helped him with the Brittle Brothers.

The fact that he gave him a gun and proper clothing before entering the plantation despite the possibility of the offense it would give or Django killing the brothers before he said to, which he did, indicates that even here his compassion for the plight of slaves undermined his pragmatic nature.

I have no idea what you are saying here. WTF is unsurp?

Usurp: to subvert the power or position of by force

Anyways, I think he wanted to help Django free his wife once King found out that she has German connections. I saw it that he was in such awe at the fact that the very man he was traveling with has a wife with a German name and can speak German, of out of all of the slaves he could have freed, he saw it as some sort of fate and felt obligated to free her. I just thought the ending with him was rushed because the movie was pushing over three hours. I'm curious as to what a director's cut might entail.

That's not why. Before he heard Broomhilda's name he mentioned he felt responsible for him since he's never freed a man before. He wouldn't feel this obligation unless, as he mentioned before and later, he feels strongly for the plight of the slaves.
If you think his death was lazy writing, I can only disagree. Every slip up of his character when witnessing the harsh treatment of slaves in front of Candy before hand (the Mandingo fight, the dog mauling, seeing Broomhilda's scars) suggested to me that he was going to do something because of a slave being mistreated that would get him killed.

Usurp: to subvert the power or position of by force
That's not why. Before he heard Broomhilda's name he mentioned he felt responsible for him since he's never freed a man before. He wouldn't feel this obligation unless, as he mentioned before and later, he feels strongly for the plight of the slaves.
If you think his death was lazy writing, I can only disagree. Every slip up of his character when witnessing the harsh treatment of slaves in front of Candy before hand (the Mandingo fight, the dog mauling, seeing Broomhilda's scars) suggested to me that he was going to do something because of a slave being mistreated that would get him killed.

Uh, that's wrong. It's after he heard of Broohilda's name that he felt obligated to help Django. He first learns of Broomhilda at the 26 minute mark, and is clearly astonished and intrigued. Then, we go through the Big Daddy fiasco, and once that is all done, Django and King are sitting around a camp fire and this is when King tells Django about the German legend, and offers Django to work with him through the winter, and then afterwards he would help Django find his wife. Django asks him why he is doing this for him, and this is when he says he has never freed a slave before, and felt obligated to help him. He goes on further to explain that Django reminds him of the German hero in the fairytale, and that as a German himself, felt obligated to help Django in his quest to free his wife. This all happened in the 50:00 mark.

Also, in the very beginning, we see King get very disturbed by seeing Django's own scars when he shakes that blanket, but nonetheless, kept his composure. Maybe I can buy that he was really starting to loose his cool starting with the mandingo fighting, and that it escalated with the man being torn to pieces by the dogs, but the movie doesn't flow as evenly here as it did in the beginning, so I felt it as a rush job to have the character bow out so as to let the Django character shine. Too bad though, Tarrantino could have had one helluva original trilogy here with the possible adventures of Django and the German bounty hunter. Add in Hildie, it could have been quite interesting. I wished there were more scenes of Schultz and Hildie, the one scene they had was one of my favorites. "You silver tongued devil you!" is probably my favorite quote in the movie, fit the character and timing perfectly.:yay:

My favorite scene is Django escape scene. The music, the action everything about that scene is why that would be my no1 scene. I love how DJango comes out of the smoke

An edited version of the film was finally able to hit screens in China this week.

I wonder if the fact that it was Jamie Foxx rather than Will Smith who ended up playing Django had anything to do with it. Foxx is a very good actor, but out of all the films I've seen him in a major role - Ali, Collateral, Miami Vice, and Any Given Sunday, not a single one of his characters ever stood out as assured, charismatic or even having any kind of magnetic personality. When it comes to Hollywood's African-American elite, Foxx, to me, occupies a very dull middle ground, in that he neither has the super-likable charm of Will Smith nor the dignified presence of Denzel Washington (...and Morgan Freeman is too old to count as a leading man contender anymore).

I have to disagree on Foxx's character in Collateral--that's probably his most memorable part to me. I think he really imbued that character with a lot of personality. I really cared by the end. Excellent acting. He deserved an Oscar for it.

I thought he gave a damn fine performance in this film, but then again unlike others, I loved the heck out of Django Unchained.

I agree on say, Ali (which I don't remember his part in it, just the stunning Will Smith performance as the lead) or Miami Vice (completely unmemorable, which is doubly a shame for the fact he was playing such an iconic role as Tubbs, and I hear he gave Michael Mann a ton of problems while filming it, to the extent that the ending was flubbed up because he left the production and refused to return).

Last edited:
I have to disagree on Foxx's character in Collateral--that's probably his most memorable part to me. I think he really imbued that character with a lot of personality. I really cared by the end. Excellent acting. He deserved an Oscar for it.

I thought he gave a damn fine performance in this film, but then again unlike others, I loved the heck out of Django Unchained.

I agree on say, Ali (which I don't remember his part in it, just the stunning Will Smith performance as the lead) or Miami Vice (completely unmemorable, which is doubly a shame for the fact he was playing such an iconic role as Tubbs, and I hear he gave Michael Mann a ton of problems while filming it, to the extent that the ending was flubbed up because he left the production and refused to return).

I thought he carried the film The Kingdom pretty well. I just think in DU, he was a bit one dimensional. I did love him in the beginning though, when he saw Schultz shoot the Sheriff, he had a fantastic "WTF?" look.

My favorite scene is Django escape scene. The music, the action everything about that scene is why that would be my no1 scene. I love how DJango comes out of the smoke

I have two favorite scenes.

This would have to be my main favorite scene. No, it's not action packed, but it's a great character moment between the two stars.

[YT]qPQhiautkpQ[/YT]

And then this, which I think formidifies their friendship.

[YT]RUA3UyM8wOk[/YT]

I didn't get that bit. Why did that need to happen? :(
I took it to be that he knew that if he reached out to shake Calvin's hand, the gun would pop out. That or, he knew that Calvin was merely trying to reel him in so he could be killed by either Calvin or Pooch.

Or maybe its as he says he "just couldn't help himself" Throughout all of the candyland scenes he is getting more and more frazzled even snapping at the Candy and his people for degrading European culture by appropriating it in such a place.

I think Tarantino plays the last masked KKK member to talk during the bag scene; the one who says the bags were a good idea but could have been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"