Django Unchained - Part 2

I was just thinking that Tom Cruise would have probably made a great calvin candie and could have been the role to sort of bring him back in the publics good graces, as Tarantino's done for so many people's careers.

Not that Tom is not popular anymore just that he still has tons of haters. Also Cruise is great when he plays a villain. I hope he does work with tarantino some day.

I thought he did pretty much just that in Tropic Thunder.

Cruise would have made for an interesting Candy.

I also would have rather seen Forest Whittiker in the lead. Something about fox just comes off inauthentic at all times. As far as this film it was in the first half.

Denzel would have been pretty interesting too, if only to see him not have all his scenes stolen from him.

Forest Whitaker? A paunchy 51 year old? I can't see it all. He never could've pulled off those pimp moves at the end the way Foxx did.

I loved the crap out of this movie. Tarantino is simply a master a modulating tone. Like most of his work, it's such a fine line between trashy fun and dead serious and he walks it like a master.

I was just thinking that Tom Cruise would have probably made a great calvin candie and could have been the role to sort of bring him back in the publics good graces, as Tarantino's done for so many people's careers.

Not that Tom is not popular anymore just that he still has tons of haters. Also Cruise is great when he plays a villain. I hope he does work with tarantino some day.
I agree. I'm drawing a blank though, what villain has Cruise played? I got Grossman and Lestat maybe, but you might be talking about some other parts.

Good movie. Christoph Waltz wasn't as crazy as I hoped he would be though. And DiCaprio had surprisingly little screentime.

Why did Django use the whip on the guy when he had a gun??? :dry:

^Symbolism.

That's a pretty thin excuse for any character in any story to do anything. You really gotta build it up to sell me on that one. Otherwise it just smacks of plot convenience.

I think it's precisely the opposite. The plot went where it does because the characters can't help but be exactly who they are. Their flaws, their sense of honor, their needs, their desires are what's driving the plot, not the other way around.

In any movie, the guy that always has the plan and is always put together and never falls apart has to have a moment where he's not in control, or else he has no arc.

Why did Django use the whip on the guy when he had a gun??? :dry:

The guy who whipped his wife (and probably him too) in the past? Yeah he should've ended it quick for him. :dry:

In any movie, the guy that always has the plan and is always put together and never falls apart has to have a moment where he's not in control, or else he has no arc.

More than that, if there's no conflict, no loss of control, there's no drama, the fundamental ingredient of storytelling and the catharsis it offers.

The guy who whipped his wife (and probably him too) in the past? Yeah he should've ended it quick for him. :dry:

I thought it was the one that Schultz killed that whipped his wife. The guy with the eyepatch.

They all were insanely cruel to him and Broomhilda, that's all he remembered.

I also didn't like how Django became an evil bastard at the end...he became what he detested. He killed Candie's sister when she didn't do anything at all. I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner. She then gets blown away for audience lulz. Fritz was talking about how he only killed bad people. Well Django just became a stone cold killer...even letting that poor guy get fed to the dogs. I think he got too caught up in his fake persona he was allowed to pretend to be and he became sort of the anti-hero at the end...which makes Fritz' death even more pointless for Django's redemption than it was in the movie after Django became re-chained.

Putting into question the morality of an Archetypical hero has been a concern of Tarrantino for a long time. It was absolutely by design, same as it was when he portrayed some of the Nazi's as exceedingly noble and likable while the Basterds came off as inhuman savages.

I also didn't like how Django became an evil bastard at the end...he became what he detested. He killed Candie's sister when she didn't do anything at all. I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner. She then gets blown away for audience lulz. Fritz was talking about how he only killed bad people. Well Django just became a stone cold killer...even letting that poor guy get fed to the dogs. I think he got too caught up in his fake persona he was allowed to pretend to be and he became sort of the anti-hero at the end...which makes Fritz' death even more pointless for Django's redemption than it was in the movie after Django became re-chained.

It was the sister who had him be sent off to that other slave trade with the Aussies. She was far from innocent.

As far as letting that guy die, he had no choice. He had to 'stsy in character' or else their cover would've been blown had he shown compassion.

And seriously, the whole movie Django only had one objective anyway and that was to get Broomhilda by any means necessary. That was his objective and he stuck with it no matter what or who got in his way.

Besides what was said about sending him to the mining camp, the only reason the sister was mad about ripping the dress off was because of all the time she spent "dressing up hilda"

It was the sister who had him be sent off to that other slave trade with the Aussies. She was far from innocent.

As far as letting that guy die, he had no choice. He had to 'stsy in character' or else their cover would've been blown had he shown compassion.

And seriously, the whole movie Django only had one objective anyway and that was to get Broomhilda by any means necessary. That was his objective and he stuck with it no matter what or who got in his way.
Not like that came after Django and his friend decided to commit murders in her home.

Besides what was said about sending him to the mining camp, the only reason the sister was mad about ripping the dress off was because of all the time she spent "dressing up hilda"

That was an excuse in front of company. You could say she was simply embarrassed by how her brother was acting in front of guest.

Chaseter said she 'didn't do anything at all.' and didn't deserve to be killed.

My only point was that she did.

She did nothing whatsoever. She simply wanted rightful retribution. Her brother was murdered for no reason. Django shot up her people and her house. It wasn't even really her idea to send him with the Aussies. It was made clear the idea was planted in her head.

I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner.

I read that as "I don't wanna see those disgusting scars while I'm eating and you just wasted all that time I spent prettying her up." There may have been some sympathy in there, but her primary concern to me seemed to be that she was embarrassed for herself.

She was still part of the slave trade and didn't exactly lift a finger to right any wrongs Candie did. Guilty by association.

Exactly. We may not see her get as nasty as Calvin or Stephen but she is still a slave owner. I didn't feel bad seeing her get blown away hilariously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"