Do comic books exist in the Marvel and DC Universe ?

ShredderX

Sidekick
Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this. But I was thinking about a line in the first Jurassic Park movie where Grant says a park with living dinosaurs would put Paleontologists out of business. So I was thinking, in the Marvel and DC universe, where damn near 75% of the inhabitants have super powers, and a super hero battle happens every 5 minutes daily, would a comic book about fictional super heros in a world of real super heroes exist or even be relevant ?

In Watchmen there were comics about Pirates. Maybe they have covers DC as well. As for the Marvel Universe, they have comics that are like docu-drama things about the "real" superheroes.

I imagine Marvel characters read DC comics and DC characters read Archie comics.

I guess they have superhero comics, but they'd be like...hyper-superheroes or something. Like in our world we have police, doctors, etc and most of the fiction about them is a 'enhanced' version of reality.

I can't remember the exact details, but in She-Hulk by Dan Slott, comics were indeed made of the Marvel Characters; some as biographical and historical recountings and some for promotional and entertainment purposes.

I don't know if there is any basis for this, but I always imagined that in the Marvel Universe the non-biographical ones were about DC heroes or just original characters.

Yes, but they have real photographs of real people.

They have comics of ordinary people... like Seinfeld comics.

It's usually done as a fourth wall meta gag when they do have them. Or some kind of a mind screw thing like with The Sentry. We have graphic novels featuring normal people in realistic drama situations so it's probably like that to them.

Yeah, they do. Just off the top of my head:
In Marvel: I remember Steve Rogers even applied for an artist job at Marvel in the 70s and I think they offered him their Captain America book. :hehe:

In DC: The Question read Watchmen back in the day.

questionrorschach1.jpg

In Marvel comics Johnny Storm was reading a Hulk comic book.
hulkinf4-1r.jpeg

Then there were FF comics, and Steve Rogers ended up as the artist of the Captain
America comic because it was like he knew exactly how to draw him in action.
Captain+America+311+Rom+spaceknight+easter+egg+page+5.jpg

Captain+America+311+Rom+spaceknight+easter+egg+page+6.jpg

And in Kingdom Come they reasoned that the world would either embrace the
superhero phenomenon or go against it. And they figured they would embrace it like
we embrace celebrities. With planet Hollywood and comics about actors, etc. So they
had Planet Krypton.

I've seen it many times before , but can't think of specific examples. In our world there is a crime every day , but we still have fiction novels. I suspect it would be the same if heroes were real. You would still have people writing fictional tales about them. Also the superheroes would probably appear in commercials and have endorsement deals. They would make Superman look like a nascar driver.

I believe the Marvel universe has comics about many of the Marvel heroes themselves, published by Marvel comics.

Outside of the example above, I can't think of any in-canon examples. But I remember the Marvel RPG back in the day explaining in detail the relationship between the fictional Marvel Comics and their respective heroes. The Marvel RPG was based on the Marvel comics canon, so maybe it exists in the Marvel writer's bible somewhere.

Steve Rogers met a kid in a bus, that kid was happy reading DareDevil comic book
In Captain America 600 back up feature by Mark Waid some guy bought a comic shop from a hater of Cap to publish comics featuring the good picture of Captain America
In Silver Surfer v1 14 some kid collected comics and watched superheroes on TV

DC universe probably do as well, one episode of Superman: TAS features a guy giving Kara some of his comics to read on her trip to Metropolis

Marvel comics in fact exists in the Marvel Universe and produces comics about Marvel superheroes. Captain America, who is frequently depicted as having a talent for art, once was hired by Marvel to draw Captain America due to his ability to really capture Cap. And no one was the wiser, except for the readers who were forced to tolerate that f***ing nonsense.

And of course the Marvel staff has drawn themselves into their stories for years.

No, we're living in the Dark Tower. ;) (Which is now a comic from Marvel).

If I remember correctly, didn't Peter Parker read comic books as a youngin'? I had one of those huge Spider-Man encyclopedias back in the day and they detailed Peter's childhood in it and they said he would read comics. It was written by Tom DeFalco, so I'm sure it has merit to it, but I've never actually heard of this outside of that one book. Either way; yes, they have comic books in their world.

When they read comics it's like the Land 'O Lakes logo.

I remember there being a comic after Daredevil revealed his secret identity where he was getting prank phone calls, one of them being "Do you know Batman?"

tumblr_mijwgzlu6c1rg0lgoo1_500.gif

tumblr_mijwgzlu6c1rg0lgoo2_500.gif

well in Raimi´s Spiderman universe DC does exist , i guess

We're actually living in a comic book right now.

If that's the case, then some poor kid who accidentally picked up Pink Ranger Adventures is seeing some really disturbing **** right now.

Didn't know where to post this. But I was thinking about a line in the first Jurassic Park movie where Grant says a park with living dinosaurs would put Paleontologists out of business. So I was thinking, in the Marvel and DC universe, where damn near 75% of the inhabitants have super powers, and a super hero battle happens every 5 minutes daily, would a comic book about fictional super heros in a world of real super heroes exist or even be relevant ?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=449333&page=4

Also, there should be a stupid question thread in the community forum.....just puttin' that out there. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"