Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Things change as science marches on. It should happen. There's still a metric ****ton of evidence to show evolution happens.

He's making a youtube show. everyone should go see it and see how bad it is.

He's making a youtube show. everyone should go see it and see how bad it is.

Seriously? It's going to be the most popular show on youtube.

The man singlehandedly put Canada on the map.

Seriously, can anyone here name any other Canadians?

And no, Wolverine doesn't count.

The man singlehandedly put Canada on the map.

Seriously, can anyone here name any other Canadians?

And no, Wolverine doesn't count.

Sabretooth? He was born in Edmonton, too :yay:

Justin Bieber, although we try to deny it as much as possible, is Canadian. As is Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion.

Ryan Reynolds is also Canadian. And Anna Paquin. The list goes on.

I think it's that most people don't realize the above actually come from Canada. Rob Ford, as mayor of Toronto, is clearly Canadian (unfortunately).

I think that guy is an idiot and he's just going the kamikazee route at this point. He's as much of an ape as the first "human."

I would go with model myself.
That would be rather confusing, considering that we already use that term to refer to specific modes/patterns of evolution. For example, when I say, "model of evolution," I'm usually referring to any one of several numerical/mathematical models devised to approximate molecular evolutionary processes (JC, HKY-85, GTR+G+I, etc.).

Great for the layman, not so great for the evolutionary biologist or systematist.

Last edited:
The way I understand it, there are multiple missing links. Just show an evolution nonbeliever the skeleton of an australopithecine.
Well...yes, and no. The concept of a "missing link" is inherently flawed. What we're really interested in are intermediate character states which are exemplified by certain organisms/species. But the phrase "missing link" assumes both speciation via anagenesis (linear or non-branching evolution...something virtually possible to infer via the fossil record) and that there isn't actually a continuum of so-called "intermediate forms" leading to Homo sapiens.

This latter issue is one upon which creationists frequently seize. When you fill in one gap, you create two more. Beyond that, creationists are rather quick to draw the line between "ape" and "man." You could show them a true intermediate and half of them would declare it an "ape" and the other half would declare it a "man" (to paraphrase Richard Dawkins).

That would be rather confusing, considering that we already use that term to refer to specific modes/patterns of evolution. For example, when I say, "model of evolution," I'm usually referring to any one of several numerical/mathematical models devised to approximate molecular evolutionary processes (JC, HKY-85, GTR+G+I, etc.).

Great for the layman, not so great for the evolutionary biologist or systematist.

True. System is taken... process is taken.

Well, ****.

I guess theory was all that was left.

Well, ****.

Yeah, but that's okay. What we really need is better science education - the difference between a hypothesis and a theory should be one of the first things we teach, along with the scientific method itself.

Well, ****.

Scientific theory :funny:

Having "theory" in there does complicate things, even if the definition of a scientific theory is different than just theory. It gets tiresome having to explain to people the difference between the two.

Justin Bieber, although we try to deny it as much as possible, is Canadian. As is Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion.

I think it's that most people don't realize the above actually come from Canada. Rob Ford, as mayor of Toronto, is clearly Canadian (unfortunately).

I think that guy is an idiot and he's just going the kamikazee route at this point. He's as much of an ape as the first "human."
And, to add more X-Men, Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore.

Sad to see UFO's are down.

Or up... according to this. Most polls I see have the number way higher.

If we came from dirt, than why do we still have dirt?!
Clipboard01_zpsdf7437dd.jpg

Jim Carey

The whole team of Alpha Flight.

Yeah, but that's okay. What we really need is better science education - the difference between a hypothesis and a theory should be one of the first things we teach, along with the scientific method itself.

Well, to be fair, the difference between hypothesis and theory were drilled into my head as a student. And the scientific method.

I was never once told of the two "theories", though. Maybe the teachers didn't want to confuse us. I know when I taught my brothers to read, I left certain spelling and grammar exceptions for when they grow older.

My sympathies go to anyone who has to learn to read and write in English. I mean that. It's a language that can become hard to respect.

Scientific theory :funny:

Having "theory" in there does complicate things, even if the definition of a scientific theory is different than just theory. It gets tiresome having to explain to people the difference between the two.

It really is annoying. The whole point is that science is willing to be proven wrong. Thats how we got to what we have now.

It's idiots who refuse to be told the difference that cause problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"