The Year 2012 (Merged)

Venus passes between the Earth and the Sun in a weird cycle.
8 years
121.5 years
8 years
101.5 years
8 years
121.5 years
etc.

The last transit of Venus was in 2004, the next one will be June 5th/6th, 2012, after which another one will not occur for 101.5 years. So June 5th/6th arrange to watch it if you can, because you may not get another chance in your lifetime.

I was wondering if anyone strongly believes that the world will end in 2012? There are plenty of people that think things like "Well, I guess it's possible" that's not what i'm talking about.

I am talking about the people who strongly, firmly believe it and are not afraid to share their thoughts on it. Anyone out there? And no, i'm not one of them. But I am interested in the thinking behind those who do believe it.

The world will not end in 2012.

As long as people get to see The Dark Knight Rises in theaters, they'll be okay with it.

I just cannot understand this fascination that some people have with wanting to know when our world going to end. I actually want to ask the believers what they could possibly have to gain from it. Does it make them happy - believing the world is going to end next year? Or is it just another excuse for them to not pursue their life's ambitions?

Why waste the energy on something as uncertain and unforeseeable as the end of times?

As my sister would say, embrace the fruits of life, and don't dwell in thoughts of its inevitable end.

Last edited:
I believe that everything is impermanent. However, unless we blow ourselves up, I don't think we have anything to worry about in the near future. I certainly don't think an old calendar, especially a misinterpreted one, is going to be a harbinger of our doom.

Every single prophecy that's purported to predict the end of the world has turned out to be wrong. Even Jesus and Paul thought the day of judgment was right around the corner, and 2,000 years later, we're still here.

I was wondering if anyone strongly believes that the world will end in 2012? There are plenty of people that think things like "Well, I guess it's possible" that's not what i'm talking about.

I am talking about the people who strongly, firmly believe it and are not afraid to share their thoughts on it. Anyone out there? And no, i'm not one of them. But I am interested in the thinking behind those who do believe it.

Why post this if you don't believe it? You know who believe it. Gullible idiots who spend too much time reading about conspiracy theories online. Their IQs are generally low. Honestly, who even cares? I can't wait to see all those idiots claim they never thought the world would end when it's January 2013.

If you believe what the bible says, no one knows the day or the hour. So it will not be a time that anyone expects.

I fully expect to celebrate New Years Eve 2013 with my girlfriend :up:.

maya_cartoon11.jpg

If you believe what the bible says, no one knows the day or the hour. So it will not be a time that anyone expects.

I believe what science says. The world will end in a few billion years when the sun burns out. Humans will probably be dead by then, maybe as a consequence of using up all our resources or polluting the crap out of our air and oceans. But it won't happen on one day. There will never be a "judgement day." It will be a gradual decline over a few hundred or few thousand years.

aaannd.....it's time for me to unsub this thread. I can see where this is heading.

It's not headed anywhere. I don't argue about what people believe. Nobody is gonna change their minds and beliefs are like opinions. He has his I have mine. I'll shake his hand and move on. :D

I just cannot understand this fascination that some people have with wanting to know when our world going to end. I actually want to ask the believers what they could possibly have to gain from it. Does it make them happy - believing the world is going to end next year? Or is it just another excuse for them to not pursue their life's ambitions?

Why waste the energy on something as uncertain and unforeseeable as the end of times?

As my sister would say, embrace the fruits of life, and don't dwell in thoughts of its inevitable end.

Maybe it gives them a time to do things by. Maybe it gives them an excuse to do what they want without fear of consequences. Maybe, like you say, as an excuse to not do things. Maybe they think it'll give us answers to great questions like "Why are people born?" "Why do they die?" And "Why do they spend much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"

Mayans never predicted the end of the world next year. 21 december 2012 just marks the end of a cycle in their long-count calendar, with a new cycle starting the day after:

The ancient Mayan calendar was, like the modern Gregorian calendar, 365 days long. In addition to the year, the ancient Maya measured time in longer periods, with a short-count and a long-count calendar, just as we measure time in decades, centuries and millennia.
"The short-count was 52 of our years, and the long-count was 5,125 years long. This long-count calendar is coming to an end on Dec. 21," Yeomans said."Of course, a new calendar would start on Dec. 22. It would be like saying that our calendar ends Dec. 31, and that's the end of time, the end of days, that's it, no regard for how a new cycle would begin. The Maya never predicted the end of the world occurred at that time."
Although there are those who believe Dec. 21, 2012 will bring about a new age of enlightenment, many, many others fear a catastrophe. "I Googled '2012 disasters,' and you know how many hits I got? 35 million hits," Yeomans said. "A lot of people are concerned about Dec. 21, 2012."

:hehe:

My friends and I have all agreed we are having a rave that night, up in the hills. Figure that way, we'll be the safest possible at high ground, and also all be wasted if the **** really does rain down :p

:hehe:

My friends and I have all agreed we are having a rave that night, up in the hills. Figure that way, we'll be the safest possible at high ground, and also all be wasted if the **** really does rain down :p

I envy you. The only place that had a techno night over here got shut down some months back.

I'm sure it'll be a fun party, but I don't think the world is going to end anymore.

I went through a stage of considering it a possibility, because of the solar flares, solar alignment and planet x stuff which is all kind of unpredictable...

But 'Man of Steel' isn't out until AFTER the world is supposed to end.

And I don't think life is that unfair that they would make one great Superman movie and then have us all die before we get to see it :p

Aaaand I have to get my pet put down tomorrow... :csad:

What a great start to the frickin' year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"