Doc Savage in the DCU!

I just wish DC had the rights to The Shadow...

I just wish DC had the rights to The Shadow...
I was just thinking about that the other day. All the pulp heros seem to be owned by someone with comics coming out, but where is he at? You'd think DC would get him with the new pulp universe and the fact they published him before.

good thinking and don't forget wing as kato's proxy

http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/solicits/dccomics/201007/dcu/Doc-Savage-4.jpg

DOC SAVAGE #4
On sale JULY 14
40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by PAUL MALMONT
Co-feature written by JASON STARR
Art by HOWARD PORTER & ART THIBERT
Co-feature art by SCOTT HAMPTON
Cover by J.G. JONES
1:10 Variant cover by JOHN CASSADAY
“The Lord Of Lightning” concludes as Doc Savage faces down the mastermind behind the attack on New York – high in the clouds above the United Nations! The true face of this enemy could crack even Doc’s resolute faith in human nature...
And in the co-feature, JUSTICE INC., the kidnapping plot Benson hoped to unravel has turned into a horrific murder ring, and Benson himself is next on the hit list!
Retailers please note: This issue ships with two covers. Please see Previews Order Form for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else read #2? As a fan of Malmont's novel, his 2 issues so far have been really lack-luster. The writing is alright, a little stilted. The artwork, however, is damn atrocious. Lack of panel continuity and abrupt changes in location. It's very sloppily illustrated. However, it's fun, and it isn't trying to be so serious. I'll keep with it, in hope that Malmont and Porter hit a stride. However, i really think Howard Porter should get the boot once this arc is over.

The Avenger back-up though is just absolute trash. It's riddled with horrible dialogue and cliche scenarios. It's laughably bad. Where as the Doc Savage feature is cheesy, it's still a fun read. It's nothing serious. The Avenger back-up is written as if trying to beat you over the head with how dark and serious it's trying to be, perhaps with the hope that the reader won't realize how bad the story is. Jason Starr should stop writing comics.

The BIGGEST criticism i have for the the Doc Savage book is that in both the Savage and Avenger stories, there's a poor indication of setting. This is supposed to be tied into the First Wave universe, a pulp 30's/40s+modern world setting. The Doc Savage stories only vaguely hint at it, and The Avenger indicates that it's strictly modern, unless I missed something.

I had read that Azzarello was gonna over-see these stories. If he hasn't, whoever has been put in charge of that has done a terrible job. The Spirit is the only book that feels like it ties directly into the First Wave world.

Anyone else read #2? As a fan of Malmont's novel, his 2 issues so far have been really lack-luster. The writing is alright, a little stilted. The artwork, however, is damn atrocious. Lack of panel continuity and abrupt changes in location. It's very sloppily illustrated. However, it's fun, and it isn't trying to be so serious. I'll keep with it, in hope that Malmont and Porter hit a stride. However, i really think Howard Porter should get the boot once this arc is over.

The Avenger back-up though is just absolute trash. It's riddled with horrible dialogue and cliche scenarios. It's laughably bad. Where as the Doc Savage feature is cheesy, it's still a fun read. It's nothing serious. The Avenger back-up is written as if trying to beat you over the head with how dark and serious it's trying to be, perhaps with the hope that the reader won't realize how bad the story is. Jason Starr should stop writing comics.
The panel to panel issues make it very difficult to read, I find myself having to re read and wondering "WTF just happened to get us here?" I would argue that is the worst part about it. And the back up was just as you described it grim dark grim dark and it's just silly.

WOW I may have to read a dc comic again

My review of the recent FIRST WAVE books with Doc Savage:

BATMAN/DOC SAVAGE SPECIAL - Excellent. Beautiful artwork by Phil Noto. Very good story by Brian Azzarello. The original press release of DC's intentions for the series said they would make an alternate universe with a combining of PULP heroes and some NON-superpowered comic characters and set it in ablend of modern day and the 30's. This comic pulled it off superbly.

FIRST WAVE BOOK ONE - Extremely good. Really nice art by Rags Morales. Real good story by Brian Azzarello. A very good blend of modern day and 30's.

DOC SAVAGE: the Lord of Lightning parts 1 and 2 - Terrible. The art by Howard Porter is bad....very bad. The story by Paul Malmont is also bad. Except for the use of dirigibles....everything looks modern day. I think that the writer has not only never read any of the original Doc pulps....but his only exposure to Doc was from the recolections of his sister's husband's uncle's third grade teacher reciting of how they saw a kid reading one once. I expected some changes due to it being an alternate universe...but I didn't expect the Bizarro universe.

On a side note...the terrible Doc comics have a backup storyline featuring the Avenger from Justice Inc. The writer of this didn't even have the luck to have the recolections of anyone's uncle's sisters, teachers who may have seen someone reading the book. Richard Henry Benson (the Avenger - originally printed 1939-1942) and leader of Justice Inc had a diverse group of assistants (especially for the time period it was originally produced in).

Nellie Grey - Petite blonde - in the new comic Hispanic.
Josh and Rosabel Newton - African American married couple and Tuskegee Institute grads - in the new comics they are divorced, Josh has a gambling addiction and has apparently been having an affair with Nellie.
Smitty - Large, moonfaced, barrelchested, strongman - in the new comic looks more like a male model...and uses his strength to beat up a dwarf......

When I first heard that DC was going to be working with Pulp related characetrs...I was estatic.....I am not feeling that way now.

Hello All: I remember enjoying the pulp novels back in my younger days. Love the idea of a new comic line for Doc & the guys, and hope it's a big success! Best regards, Madelow.

Any artist that can make Patrica Savage look UGLY is not much of an artist.
What happen to Howard Porter? I like his art on FLASH.
I like the art on JUSTIC, INC. But the writting has also been poor as the Doc story.

First Wave #2 was a jumbo mess. Too many characters with too little screen time.

First Wave #3 got delayed until August. The delays are gonna kill this book.

Doc Savage has been cheesy fun. It's not very well written and the artwork is atrocious. But it's fun. The Avenger story however isn't entertaining at all.

The original pulps for Doc and the Avenger were a lot more fun than these books. There has got to be a good artist somewhere out there who wants to work with these characters.

The original pulps for Doc and the Avenger were a lot more fun than these books. There has got to be a good artist somewhere out there who wants to work with these characters.

There's a new creative team starting on Doc Savage with issue #6 in September. Never heard of either of them, but hopefully everything will be much better. Jason Starr is still doing the Avenger back up, though.

Jealousy is my sole motive for posting in this thread.

Hopefully Azzarello has some steam left over to maybe take over writing The Spirit, since his handling of Denny Colt in First Wave has been singlehandedly my favorite interpretation since Eisner himself. With no offense to Cooke.

First Wave's Denny has been written brilliantly. Especially the rooftop scene with Renny.

OK... end of my multi-thread diatribes on the exact same subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"