Doc Savage in the DCU!

I love that top cover with Bats and the Spirit.....really looking forward to these books.

That Bermejo cover is beautiful. All three of these titles sound promising. The Spirit co-feature seems to have consistent talent on board and the talent in both features in the Doc Savage book are solid. Looking forward to reading Malmont's Doc Savage stuff, as his novel was fantastic.

For the only three books I intend on reading from DC, i'd say it's worth it.

I see by the preview they listed Pat Savage as Doc's sister.
In the original novels she was his cousin.
Well, Since this is a different universe I suppose I can accept this change.

That cover with Denny, Doc, and Batman is great. So far, there hasn't really been any art related to this entire universe that hasn't been impressive. Including the sketchbook samples in the Doc/Batman one shot. So far, my favorite has been the cover to Spirit #1, and I know I am biased. It's just such a solid piece of art with great storytelling, rather than just posing. Besides, it really captures the 'spirit' of the character, which gives me hope for the writing. Denny, with a girl in tow, one slip away from death with an "oh crap" look on his face. I do like the Bermejo cover a lot, too. Really anxious for this series to get going.

Brian Azzarello fires up a new pulp universe for DC Comics.

2hfj86a.jpg

2qtllx4.jpg

5b46ck.jpg

v2uyaw.jpg

IGN Comics: Besides DC acquiring the rights to all the properties involved, how did the idea for First Wave come about?

Azzarello: Well…DC acquired the rights. [laughs]

IGN Comics: Fair enough. Well then how did the idea to put all these characters together in one world and story come about?

Azzarello: That was Dan's [DiDio] idea. He came to me with that idea, actually.

IGN Comics: So what attracted you to the project?

Azzarello: He and I had been looking for a way to get me back into the DCU for a while. I really had no interest in doing any super-powered characters. I didn't want to touch Batman when it wasn't Bruce Wayne. So this was a nice little back door in. We have actually been trying to get this going for years now. Dan first contacted me about it almost four years ago. At that point, none of the DCU characters were part of it. That was something I brought to the table. Why don't we include some of these other guys that haven't been used in a while?

IGN Comics: You're obviously known for writing hard-boiled crime stories. What's the difference between writing a crime or noir story and writing this type of pulp tale? Is there one?

Azzarello: Motivationally, you have to be a little bit purer. Because you're dealing with people that are heroes. Which is tough for me, man. [laughs] I have to come at this from a different place.

IGN Comics: Right. They all can't be deeply flawed.

Azzarello: Yeah. I have to come at these characters from the other side of the bars, I guess.

IGN Comics: Bringing together characters from different backgrounds, origins and companies – ones that originally had nothing to do with one another – hasn't always worked well from a story standpoint. Some would say Captain Marvel hasn't really stuck at DC precisely because he wasn't created in the context of the DCU. How do you plan on making the various characters involved in First Wave thrive together in the same universe?

Azzarello: Well you have to tweak the characters. Captain Marvel doesn't work in the confines of the DCU because the characters itself hasn't been turned a little bit at his core. I think you have to do that to make these things work. You need to reinvent them to a certain extent.

IGN Comics: That's a good place to jump over to a discussion of the various players involved. DC ran your notes on a lot of these characters in a number of their comics a month or so back, and it made for a fascinating read. Your take on Batman in particular was rather interesting, as you note that one your of the problems with Batman is that he's been depicted as fully formed once he took on the mantel. You have the rare chance in First Wave to put Bruce Wayne/Batman through a more pronounced character arc or journey than we typically see in the DCU comics. Can you describe your take on the character and what makes it different, besides maybe the idea that this version of the character carries a pair of guns?

Azzarello: I looked at some of those older, original issues, and Batman had a bit of a mean streak, but also enjoyed his work. That's something that's been taken away from the character. But then again, his work hasn't been enjoyable. I want to put that back in. I want to cast him more as a rookie cop. There's an idealism there. He hasn't been soured yet. He also doesn't have to do it, so it's like this crazy hobby of his. He's not obsessed yet.

IGN Comics: Besides Frank Miller, no one has really been able to tackle the two extreme ends of Batman's journey –his beginnings in Year One and then the more extreme, exaggerated far end of his growth in Dark Knight Returns. Are you going to run as wide of a gamut in your take on Batman, or are you more concerned with showing his formative years?

Azzarello: More so the formative years. But even in Year One he didn't really laugh at himself. Listen, it's a cliché, but if he's a millionaire playboy, why can't he act like a millionaire playboy? With Bruce Wayne acting as such a dark character, why doesn't everyone know he's Batman? The guy never smiles. If he's going to have a secret identity, it shouldn't be so easy to say this guy is depressing to be around.

IGN Comics: It also sounds like you're going to bring out that lighter side in your depiction of Bruce in costume, at least as far as his enthusiasm for the job is concerned.

Azzarello: Yeah. This Batman likes doing what he's doing. There's a bit of a rush there.

IGN Comics: Can you talk about your decision to move Gotham to the West Coast?

Azzarello: Well Doc Savage is Manhattan. I think people tend to think of Gotham City as Manhattan as well. I didn't want to have both in the same city. Geographically speaking, I just figured we'd move him to the other side of the country. There's something about Los Angeles – or at least there was – where it's this fairly new city. I wanted to make the city as vital as the character.

IGN Comics: So you're almost going for something like James Ellroy's take on Los Angeles?

Azzarello: Exactly.

IGN Comics: How about Doc Savage? Were you a fan of the character going in to your work on First Wave, or did you have to go back and do some reading?

Azzarello: I had to go back and read. I had read some of those books as a kid, but I had to go back and read a few of them again.

IGN Comics: You describe him as the story's "superman", emphasis on the lower case. What do you find appealing about the character?

Azzarello: For one thing, he's completely human, even if he's been engineered by his father to be the best. And so many characters owe so much to that character. He's one of the first actual (lowercase) "superman." There are plenty of vigilantes, but there's only on Doc Savage.

IGN Comics: You bring up the fact that he's been engineered by his father, and the character really comes across as the perfect human or uberman, so to speak. There's definitely a creepy element to that, and I'm curious if you're planning on playing up that creepiness at all?

Azzarello: I'm not playing up the creepy aspect so much in Doc. Other than that when he's in the room, everyone knows he's in the room. He's famous. He doesn't hide his identity. He's out there. He works with the police, or rather the police turn a blind eye when he's working.

I have to say... having read every Spirit story Eisner ever wrote... I really really like the pages with Denny napping in an open grave... without it coming across even remotely macabre or dark. More whimsical than anything else. Seriously looking forward to this.

• Gotta call Paul Malmont, thank him for calling me “legendary” in a recent interview (Is that a nice way of saying I’m history?), and ask after the next DOC rewrite.
Just got off the phone with Brian. He’s gotta make a few simple adjustments on the next FIRST WAVE script.
• Gotta call Rags Morales. Let him know everybody in the office is slapping me on the back for the looks of the first issue, as if I drew it. Might as well ring him up and share the, er, credit.
• Gotta call Nei Ruffino, same reason.
• Pardon my sharing my “to-do” list like this, but it’s the only way I can remember it all.
• Gotta call Howard Porter, make sure we’re getting more DOC SAVAGE pages like the one here.

2ey9pjr.jpg

LINK

Over the last few years, I've moved into trade waiting for everything, with Sonic being the only single issue I buy, but this First Wave stuff...I will buy every single damn issue. This stuff just looks to good.

I have read through the first issue 3 times since I picked it up, and I have to say, it is truly underwhelming. I think my expectations for it (being an introductory device) were way too high going in. I liked it... a lot... but it really felt like, for all the storylines interconnecting, that nothing happened. I like the way Doc was introduced, I adored Denny's introduction, and I was glad to see a good Spirit fight, where he gets his butt handed to him til the last punch... but the villains, so far, at least, did absolutely nothing to interest me. I really believe this series will take off, even as soon as next issue, and I really did love a lot of the intros and characterizations... I suppose I am saying the whole is not nearly as cool as the sum of its parts. My only legit character concern so far is waiting to see how the whole "Denny fights crime for the money" motivation plays out. I hope its a build up to a moral dilemma where he becomes more heroic... waiting to see where that goes...

Anyhow, I do have a ton of expectation for the next 5 issues. This one really had some nice moments, but as a whole kinda left me kinda meh.

Well....I grew up when you actually had to read comics....and if you were lucky it was accompanied by some halfway decent art. From what I have seen over the last decade or so....you now mostly get fantastic artwork accompanied by a few words here and there.

I agree completely. Other than Cooke on the Spirit, this book is the only comic 'issue' i've bought new in years for the reason you stated. I reread a lot of golden age and silver age stuff and have trades of very few modern stories. I did like this issue, I suppose what I meant was that in spite of how much did happen, it still kinda felt like I missed something, which is why I read it 3 times. It's good. I'm sold on it. Just not completely sure why...

So does the Batman/Doc Savage special take place in the same universe as the First Wave series?

On another note, I picked up First Wave #1 and honestly it didn't wow me that much. I'm sticking with it mostly because I love the art and want to see Batman packing heat. Don't get me wrong, the writing was great, but if I didn't already have an interest in these characters, I don't know if it would get me to come back for the rest of the mini.

-- FunBob

To answer your question; yes, the one shot takes place in this First Wave universe. And, I agree with you. The writing and art are both good, and my investment in the characters (mainly Denny and Dolan) is keeping me looking forward to this, but for a first issue, it was somewhat (not completely) underwhelming. I am sincerely excited to see where the story goes, which says something about the book, at least. Besides, the main villain is Alan Moore drunk on a park bench, so how can it go wrong?

I am only peripherally knowledgable about Doc Savage... anyone able to tell me if there are slight 'alterations' to his characterization? I know they are toying around with minor aspects of the characters, such as Denny fighting crime for money and Dolan being a slightly crooked cop, but I'm wondering if Doc has been canon so far... just so I know what may be new to the character.

^Thought the same thing about the drunk guy! :D

As far as Doc Savage goes, I'm not sure since I've never read the pulps, and the first issue didn't go into much detail on him. I'll have to get the one-shot and compare it to what (little) I know about the character.

-- FunBob

To answer your question; yes, the one shot takes place in this First Wave universe. And, I agree with you. The writing and art are both good, and my investment in the characters (mainly Denny and Dolan) is keeping me looking forward to this, but for a first issue, it was somewhat (not completely) underwhelming. I am sincerely excited to see where the story goes, which says something about the book, at least. Besides, the main villain is Alan Moore drunk on a park bench, so how can it go wrong?

I am only peripherally knowledgable about Doc Savage... anyone able to tell me if there are slight 'alterations' to his characterization? I know they are toying around with minor aspects of the characters, such as Denny fighting crime for money and Dolan being a slightly crooked cop, but I'm wondering if Doc has been canon so far... just so I know what may be new to the character.

The bad guy/drunk is called Mr. Sunlight in the comic....in the original Doc Savage pulps, John Sunlight was the only villian to appear in 2 of the books.

In the comic....William Harper "JOHNNY" Littlejohn has his eye injured by the robot....in the pulps his eye was damaged in World War One, he wore glasses with a magnafying lens over that eye to help his vision....years later Doc is able to repair his vision with surgery.

In the original story that dealt with Doc's father's death....his grave was not dug up and bags of gold found in the coffin. Doc did show up 3 weeks after his death because he had been at his fortress of solitude. For those who didn't know it....Doc had a fortress of Solitude in the Arctic from the first book (wrote in 1932 and published in 1933)...seven to eight years before Superman had one.

The art in the first one shot mag made Doc look more like the James Bama depictions from the BANTAM paperback reprints than the art in the miniseries does (mainly with the slightly exagerate widow's peak hairstyle)....the miniseries has him just having more of a standard short haircut. In the original pulps...Doc is described as having short hair with a slight widow's peak (widow's peak means it comes down into a slight point on his forehead) but the artists in the thirties painted him with regular hair.

Cover of Doc #1 from the 30's

docsavage13.jpg

Doc from Bantam reprint #1 form the 60's

docsavage7.jpg

I saw a preview for an upcoming issue where it mentions Doc's sister PAT....in the pulps, PAT was his cousin.

Way cool. thanks for the info. I have a head full of Spirit trivia, but just about everyone else is new to me. I recognized the Blackhawks solely on the logo on the plane. And I know enough about Doc, himself, to have a lot of respect for his character... everyone else is where I think I'll get the most shocks and revelations. I liked the chase with Littlejohn. Keeping in mind that this takes place before WWII, I'm really interested in the technology behind that robot that was after him.

this doc pic is so good i saved it to my computer

Does anyone know exactly what the time frame is for these stories? I remember reading an interview with Brian Azzarello on Newsarama where he said it was like the world of Batman: The Animated Series, where people used cell phones and other modern technology, but the gangsters seemed to be out of the 1930s, using Tommy guns and such.

-- FunBob

2wdal9w.jpg

DOC SAVAGE #3
On sale JUNE 9 * 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by PAUL MALMONT
Co-feature written by JASON STARR
Art by HOWARD PORTER & ART THIBERT
Co-feature art by SCOTT HAMPTON
Cover by J.G. JONES
1:10 Variant cover by JOHN CASSADAY
Doc Savage and his crew take the fight to the sinister mercenaries who've targeted them in a high-speed chase between two dirigibles in the canyons of Manhattan! You've never seen a dogfight like this before! In the Justice, Inc. co-feature, the Avenger is starting to lose control - and so is the mastermind behind Josh's kidnapping! If Benson thinks this nightmare can't get worse, he has no idea how wrong he is...
And come back next month for the return of FIRST WAVE with issue #4!
Retailers please note: This issue ships with two covers. Please see Previews Order

Damn thats a good looking cover.

Yeah....that covers nice.

Wish DC had the Green Hornet. Matt Wagners writing of the character would fit right it.

And WOW that cover is epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"