Would anyone be interested in a Doc Savage movie, and who would get the rights?

MucasMan

Civilian
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Doc Savage movie, and who would get the rights? He's a superhero character from the golden age who has seen actions in the following books, which begs the question, who would get the rights to the "Man of Bronze"

Post-Golden Age, there have been several Doc Savage comic books:

Gold Key Comics, 1966, one issue. Adapts The Thousand-Headed Man.

Marvel Comics. In 1972, eight standard color comics with four adaptations of books — The Man of Bronze, Brand of the Werewolf, Death in Silver, and The Monsters — and one giant-size movie adaptation.
In May 2010, DC Comics reprinted the eight-issue series as a trade paperback.[4]
In 1975, the Marvel imprint Curtis Magazines released eight black-and-white magazines as a movie tie-in. All are original stories by Doug Moench, John Buscema, and Tony DeZuniga. The character also teamed up with the Thing in Marvel Two-in-One #21, an important issue that would form the basis of later significant stories like "The Project Pegasus Saga" and "Squadron Supreme: Death of a Universe".

DC Comics, 1987–1990, a four-issue mini-series tryout, then 24 issues and one Annual, most written by Mike W. Barr. Original adventures, including a reunion with Doc's Mayan sweetheart/wife Monya and John Sunlight, adventures with Doc's grandson "Chip" Savage, and back story on Doc's parents and youth. Included a four-issue crossover with DC's current run of The Shadow.

Millennium Publications published several mini-series and one-shots, including Doc Savage: The Monarch of Armageddon, a four-part limited series, from 1991 to 1992. Written by Mark Ellis and penciled by Darryl Banks, the treatment "come closest to the original, capturing all the action, humanity, and humor of the original novels".[5] Other miniseries were Doom Dynasty and Devil's Thoughts, and one-shots Pat Savage: Woman of Bronze and Manual of Bronze.
Dark Horse Comics, 1995, two mini-series: a two-issue mini-series The Shadow and Doc Savage and four-issue Doc Savage: Curse of the Fire God.
DC announced in 2009 that it would publish a Doc Savage crossover with Batman, written by Brian Azzarello with art by Phil Noto and a cover by J.G. Jones.[6] Other characters involved will be Black Canary,[7] The Avenger,[7] Rima the Jungle Girl,[7] the Spirit,[7] and Doc Savage's the Fabulous Five.[8] It is a prologue to First Wave, a six-issue limited series with art by Rags Morales.[6] The First Wave line was then expanded to include a Doc Savage ongoing series written by Paul Malmont, with art by Howard Porter.[9] Malmont only wrote the first four issues, with other authors writing the rest of the series.

Fictional character biography
Doc Savage's real name was Clark Savage, Jr. He was a physician, surgeon, scientist, adventurer, inventor, explorer, researcher, and, as revealed in The Polar Treasure, a musician. A team of scientists assembled by his father deliberately trained his mind and body to near-superhuman abilities almost from birth, giving him great strength and endurance, a photographic memory, a mastery of the martial arts, and vast knowledge of the sciences. Doc is also a master of disguise and an excellent imitator of voices. "He rights wrongs and punishes evildoers." Dent described the hero as a mix of Sherlock Holmes' deductive abilities, Tarzan's outstanding physical abilities, Craig Kennedy's scientific education, and Abraham Lincoln's goodness. Dent described Doc Savage as manifesting "Christliness." Doc's character and world-view is displayed in his oath, which goes as follows:

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.

Definitely.

There's already one in production, though. Seems to be lost in development hell, but it still has a 2012 tentative release date, according to IMDB. Set in the golden age 30s, with Shane Black writing and directing, and Neal Moritz producing. No cast yet.

And I would assume that since Shane was given Iron Man 3 as of February 2011, The Man of Bronze is most likely on indefinite hiatus.

So you think the good Dr. will run with Marvel or DC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"