• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Rate And Review Thread(Tag Spoilers!!)

I give it a B, or a 7/10.

I'm of two minds on the film in many ways.
On the one hand, I liked it more than DS 1, but I don't think it's a better film than DS 1.

One the one hand, I feel like the scope should be more epic given it's subject matter, but at the same time, I feel it's too long given the actual focus and story and characters at hand.

There were parts I was engaged in, and other parts which dragged for me.

I think Olsen makes a great heavy and does a great Job, as usual.

Xochitl Gomez is also pretty good for a Freshman Marvel outing

I liked the easter eggs and shout outs to the fans.

I can see why fans may be mixed on it, but overall, i'd still recommend it .

I agree with everything you said except the score. I score based on how much I want to watch it again and I would watch again immediately. Admittedly, I am probably ranking high because Dr strange is an all time favorite though. 9/10

It seems to be getting a pretty good reception around here. About 70% are rating it good or better. About 90% of the GA seems to be liking it. Those aren't eye popping numbers, but are pretty good. I've always suspected that us Hypester types are a little more critical than most when it comes to the SH movie genre and this seems to back this up.

EDIT: Only 14% of us called it mediocre or worse. The rest (about 16%) say it's okay.

I agree with everything you said except the score. I score based on how much I want to watch it again and I would watch again immediately. Admittedly, I am probably ranking high because Dr strange is an all time favorite though. 9/10

I would watch certain parts again, but not the whole thing.

Can't believe people are complaining about a lack of humor in a Marvel movie lol

Agreed. And not me. Multiverse of Madness and Moon Knight are adding a very welcome darkness to the MCU in my eyes. Also making the X-Men movies and Amazing Spider-Man and Venom movies "canon" adds a level of darkness and grit that I'm happy for.

I very much enjoyed the first movie, and thought this sequel really elevated on every level.

The magic/VFX were fun and interesting. I loved Doctor Strange creating giant purple hands to fight the Shuma Gorath in the beginning, or conjuring serpents to attack Wanda. And I was really tickled by the musical fight against the evil Doctor Strange.

Quiet moments really stood out to me too, included the small cameo from Nicodemus West at Christine's wedding -- his conversation with Strange was poignant and just a great way to set the stage for the film's proceedings.

Of course, everyone is talking about the Illuminati. For me, the standout was Patrick Stewart as Xavier -- loved him trying to help Wanda escape the Scarlet Witch's hold in her mind. And the X-Men animated theme playing during his entrance. The other Illuminati members I can take or leave--I like the idea, and I understood their roles in the film but it was ultimately introduced and wrapped up all within Act II. I wonder if we're actually getting Krasinski as Richards now. Hopefully a better costume :)

I liked seeing Wanda as a full-on villain. The WandaVision post-credits had her already consumed b the Darkhold and searching for her children. While this was certainly a leap for those who didn't see the series and last saw Wanda in Endgame, I did watch the series just like Feige told me to lol so I found this a totally natural progression for the character. Better to just get into then needlessly spend the whole movie building up a confrontation between Strange & Wanda.

The one surprise that really got me was Charlize Theron as Clea. Sign me up for Doctor Strange III!

Last edited:
Really? That bad?

No, it's not that bad .
It's just that as a whole , the film didn't grab me as much as it did others.
There are sections of the film I dug, and other sections that didn't grabbed me
I still give it a 7/10, but its certainly not one of my favorite MCU films by any means.

Last edited:
Agreed. And not me. Multiverse of Madness and Moon Knight are adding a very welcome darkness to the MCU in my eyes. Also making the X-Men movies and Amazing Spider-Man and Venom movies "canon" adds a level of darkness and grit that I'm happy for.

Multiverse of Madness didn't seem dark for darkness sake, but the stakes were raised here and I'm glad Raimi & co. didn't shy away from it.

This felt like the perfect amount of humor. Tense scenes between Strange & Wanda weren't undercut with a sight gag or pop-culture reference. I think many will be happy there are no moments in this movie where Strange calls Wong 'Beyonce.' Come to think of it, the only humor/recurring joke I can think of is the bowing before the Sorcerer Supreme and even that was cute & not overdone.

Last edited:
No, it's not that bad .
It's just that as a whole , the film didn't grab me as much as it did others.
There are sections of the film I dug, and other sections that grabbed me
I still give it a 7/10, but its certainly not one of my favorite MCU films by any means.

Fair. I really enjoyed it lol; I'll want to catch this a second time for sure--if anything, just to try to catch any Easter Eggs or landscapes when they're multiverse-hopping.

Hey....tag spoilers. It says so right in the subject.

Fair. I really enjoyed it lol; I'll want to catch this a second time for sure--if anything, just to try to catch any Easter Eggs or landscapes when they're multiverse-hopping.

Yeah, that sequence was one of my positives.
On a superficial note,
I really want the 3 piece suit that Stephen wears at the wedding. :funny:
Looked pretty cool to me:word:.

That was insane!

Recent bias places as a top 10, perhaps 5, perhaps it even dethrones my beautiful Spider Man 2.

Beautifully shot, great cinematography and combination of VFX and practical/costumes and Danny Elfman well balanced score. Loved the horror! This has Sam Raimis fingerprints all over it.

Definitely for fans of Evil Dead trilogy, Darkman, OG Spider Man trilogy and Drag Me To Hell and pizza balls.

Disappointed Sam Raimi didn't direct No Way Home, glad we got this.

Holy ****! Holy ****!

All praise our lord and savior Sam Raimi!

Holy ****!

10/10

That was insane!

Recent bias places as a top 10, perhaps 5, perhaps it even dethrones my beautiful Spider Man 2.

Beautifully shot, great cinematography and combination of VFX and practical/costumes and Danny Elfman well balanced score. Loved the horror! This has Sam Raimis fingerprints all over it.

Definitely for fans of Evil Dead trilogy, Darkman, OG Spider Man trilogy and Drag Me To Hell and pizza balls.

Disappointed Sam Raimi didn't direct No Way Home, glad we got this.

Holy ****! Holy ****!

All praise our lord and savior Sam Raimi!

Holy ****!

10/10
So you liked it? :funny:

Is my review going to be biased? Probably, but I also don't care. One of my favorite moments ever going to the cinema was seeing Spider-Man for the first time and buying the entire first wave of movie figures before the movie even started. Even before seeing that movie, Sam Raimi was always one of my favorite directors. The Evil Dead series is one of my favorite horror franchises and I love most of his movies. So when Scott Derrickson left and Raimi came on board, boy did I feel that was an upgrade.

But that all being said, I was also worried about this movie. One worry I had with Spider-Man No Way Home was that it would lose focus trying to be this multiverse movie and that Holland's Peter would suffer. That didn't happen, but rumors about this film centered more on possible cameos and such than the film itself. Between that and rumored extensive reshoots and maybe an entire 30+ mins being cut, I was a tad concerned. Would this film crumble under the weight of MCU fan service or would Raimi pull this together and deliver the goods? The answer: really depends on what you wanted in this film.

I think the marketing hurt this movie. Many of the major cameos leaked or were in the TV spots briefly. I think that gave the perception that this movie was holding back major cameos, but it really doesn't. Spider-Man: No Way Home for example was trying to be a Spider-Man film and a film that was paying homage to the history of Spider-Man in film. I think people expected to see Wesley Snipes pop up as Blade or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and see something similar here, but that wasn't the movie we were delivered. The leaked cameos of the Illuminati are basically it. That may hurt the film for people that wanted Cameos and Fan Service: The Movie, but I thought it was better for not being that. The film was way more focused than I predicted it would be.

So now that we covered what the movie isn't, let's talk about what it IS. This is movie was like a Doctor Strange comic book come to life. The action sequences and how they use the magic and sorcery are really inventive and Sam Raimi crafts what might be the best MCU film ever from a visual standpoint. Raimi has a way of using colors and framing shots that give this movie so much life. When you watch a lot of MCU movies, you almost forget what dynamic color and camera work looks like cause so many films in the MCU saturate the color away and feel like they were filmed in front of green screen backdrops. This is a very welcome change. Please Marvel, more of this.

The weakest part of the movie is going to be the script. At its core, this is Terminator 2 by way of Evil Dead. Which is a great pitch, but this movie moves very fast. Which both works for and against the movie. The movie never really breathes, which creates a lot of suspense but also weakens character development. Now, I know Raimi said something like 30 mins was cut, and while I feel this movie was rushed, I think the movie maybe needed another 5 mins to be perfect. It didn't need to be another half hour.

I already know the 2 things everyone will talk about from this movie and be most critical, so let's talk the first of those 2 things: the Illuminati. Did they work in this movie? Again, it depends on what you wanted. Fans of these characters will be upset with how they are dispatched, but their narrative purpose is to make the villain of our movie look stronger. In wrestling, they call that being a Jobber. On that front, they worked. They did their job. It was great seeing Patrick Stewart again, and one line of dialogue he had sent me a giant wave of nostalgia and I got a bit misty. The group themselves are mostly throwaway, although random inclusion of Anson Mount as Black Bolt makes me scratch my head wondering who that was for and what ramifications that may have. But the next debate will be long pushed for Reed Richards choice John Krasinski popping up here in that role. Is Feige being cheeky? Is it a hint at something else long term? We don't know exactly, but I do think this was an introduction and that he will return. That is my gut. So overall, I can see people not loving how they are worked in the story, but I was fine with it.

Now let's get to the Wanda of it all. This is what will divide people most. I am shocked at how far they took Wanda here. Especially without any type of possession or whatever being evident, at least currently at time of writing. They committed to it, and props for making a decision and sticking with it. I have seen many say she hijacks the movie. I don't see that. Wanda serves as a mirror for Strange in this film. Strange is faced with variants of himself that go bad, but Wanda is the true mirror. She is the unquestioned antagonist of this piece, she is scary, Elizabeth Olsen is amazing in this, and I think she works in this film. It is going to be divisive to see a beloved character go evil like this, but I kind of see this as a successful version of what Fox wished they did with Dark Phoenix either time they tried it. This movie also doesn't shy away from her actions. We get the multiverse here essentially to allow Wanda freedom to showcase her power and do shocking things without killing our true MCU main heroes, but the film emphasizes what she has done at the same time. I have no idea how you redeem Wanda after this short of some random retcon about possession or whatever. Cause as it stands, holy crap what she does here is messed up.

Benedict Cumberbatch is also given a lot to work with here. He gets to be fun variants of Strange, gets to have a more traditional superhero story in defending the kid who shows up on his doorstep, and Cumberbatch is awesome in general in the film. The film looks at what makes Strange similar and different from his variants and the core theme of feeling empty inside and not knowing how to fill that void really worked for me. I also think Rachel McAdams was used far better in this movie than the first one. In fact, hard to think of a place where this one isn't an upgrade from the first installment.

Sam Raimi's style may not be for everyone, but it really works in this horror themed movie they were going for. You can see which boxes Feige and Marvel forced Raimi to check, but when the film allows Raimi to go nuts in the sandbox, it is an awesome spectacle. I don't think this will be as universally loved as some of the MCU's highest profile entries, but I think there is plenty here to enjoy. I was pretty predisposed to loving this movie. Is this the best MCU movie to date? No, but there is plenty is wish the MCU would learn from, especially in regards to visuals.

Verdict - 4 out of 5

Last edited:
Very well said; and pretty succinctly summarizes my thoughts on the movie too.

So I saw it last night and I feel that its settled in enough to make an official review:

I love this movie. For a lot of reasons. I think its messy, with some missteps. But overall it was a trip and took me for a ride. As someone who ranks both GotGv2 and Thor Ragnarok very high, I feel this is Dr. Strange's equivalent. It's wild, its nuts. It takes a lot of chances which is really good to see this late in the game with the MCU.

I'll talk about what it does right first.
- America Chavez is actually awesome. The powerset, the visuals, her spunky personality, it offset Dr Strange so well. She fit in well to a film that she felt like she shouldnt belong in. It speaks to her character that she could simultaneously look and feel out of place and the perfect fit. She's a dimensional traveller.
- Christine is implemented perfectly imo.
- Wanda killed it.
- Horror elements.
- Mid-credit scene.

Missteps:
- Some of the cameos felt clunky. I'm hoping this will change on repeat viewings. Specifically the immediacy of their exit.
- The theme of the film changes on a whim (good and bad). it is meant to be STRANGE afterall
- Awkward battle scenes. What I like to call "the Harry Potter effect" from two people casting spells at each other. Can be done well, can look really weird or goofy.

Overall I think this film was awesome. I think Dr. Strange could stand to have another couple outings where it's just him and his own cast. Wong, Dormammu, Mordo, TAO, Clea, and his various villains. 8.9/10

I liked the film. It was distinct from other MCU movies and was very Raimi! The horror aspect was great. Loved the scenes where they had close up of the eyes…reminded me of 80s horror movies. The cameos were good but spoiled during the commercials and trailers so it felt kind of flat with me. Loved everything else about the movie though. Solid 7/10 for me.

I loved this movie and SW was definitely the highlight for me. It just kept getting better as it went and I especially loved the magic Strange used in the movie it was a unique and visually enthralling display of creativity.

While I won't be able to see it for a few days, what I want is a DS that is generally overmatched, but, by his wits and intelligence, is able to take all of his surroundings into play, and figures out a way to either put off oblivion or save the day. Loved the old comics and that's what I always liked about him. He defeated those who were much more powerful than he was by being smarter than they were.

I thought he was portrayed really well in Infinity Wars.

The only thing I missed was the original theme from the first movie. I loved that music and wished it was featured during the end credits.

This film is a mix bag for me.
cons
1. Horror and gore: it wasn’t necessary, there were some very violent scenes that unfortunately were overblown and unnecessary. You can kill without it being borderline. Kids are going to see this and it’s not ideal.
To be honest. I didn’t find the violence to be that bad. It’s definitely more intense compared to an average MCU film, but it’s hardly that violent I would say. 80’s kids action adventure films like Raiders and Temple Of Doom are way more stronger in terms of violence than anything in this film. I found this movie rather tame in comparison. Nothing in this film comes close to Nazi’s faces melting from Raiders for instance.

I have to ask, what exactly were some folks expecting when they know perfectly well that Sam Raimi was directing this? Horror was always going to be a part of this movie and let's not act like pre-teens nowadays aren't disensitized to horror movies.

I don't think any parent is taking their six year old to see this lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"