1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Patrick Stewart Returns As Professor X

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' started by Detective Conan, Aug 26, 2021.

?

If Fox-Verse Charles Xavier Is In This Film: Who Will Play Him?

1. Patrick Stewart

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. James McAvoy

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. ZenTheAvenger Registered

My inner child absolutely freaked out when I heard the X-Men Animated Series theme tune play!

2. Mr. Peanut Registered

They explicitly aren't.

What If doesn't seem to have any bearing on the MCU at all, it's basically only called an MCU show as a formality. Maybe this will change in the future, but as of now the live action writers are making no effort to carry over plot elements from What If in a direct or consistent way. For instance, while we may have gotten Captain Carter and evil Doctor Strange in this movie, their universes and backgrounds are incompatible with what was established in What If.

And the X-men TAS universe is completely incompatible with univerese 838 as well. I mean for one thing...X-men TAS has normal traffic lights.

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. Havok83 Registered

It was good seeing him but man did he look old AF. I kinda hope this is the last time we see him in the role. If and when Xavier returns, they must go younger

4. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I thought he looked and sounded better in this than Star Trek Picard. There's a series where he looked past his prime.

The Infernal likes this.
  5. The Infernal Mky Mk

I think he looked fine enough for what was needed here, but I would be hesitant to have Stewart back outside of say a one-off Secret Wars film. That way you could crossover not only Stewart's Xavier, but also Dafoe, Molina, Foxx etc as a last big hoorah before setting the next phase of the mcu.

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

They'll have to go younger for the long term MCU Xavier given how old Stewart would be by the end of that. I thought this was a good cameo for him at least.

KaijuDude1992, P Supreme and BobJM like this.
  7. BobJM Uncle Charlie

Agreed. Great to see him, as always, but I’d be lying if I didn’t notice his age when he was onscreen. I don’t think it helped anything that it seemed every Illuminati member just filmed their bits in front of a green screen.

Iceman likes this.
  8. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    45 to 50 years old would be ideal.

9. Scarlet Spider Registered

The writer mentioned in an interview that this Xavier variant is a mixture of the FOX movies, the Animated Series and the comics.

10. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Well yes, the actor, the yellow/gold hover chair and the character being a member of the Illuminati. Its a miXture.

11. Pennywise Registered

I cheered when I heard the iconic theme once he appeared, plus, seeing him in the hoverchair was also sweet! I remember as a kid, wondering why he was in a regular wheelchair when I saw the first X-Men.

22 years later, here we are.

Wish the Illuminati got a bit more to do, though.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  12. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

That much was certainly obvious.

13. Scarlet Spider Registered

It was to us. It wasn't to other certain people in this thread. :funny:

Ene and Mr. Peanut like this.
  14. FlareKnight Registered

There's no question he's old at this point. But I thought he absolutely nailed it as Xavier here. It really did feel like a wonderful mixture of the Fox movies, animated series, and comics. They definitely hit on what they were going for.

Already kind of gushed about it in the Illuminati thread, but I think he was perfect here. He just felt like Professor X. I know they'll likely recast for a more long-term version of the character. But I'm glad we got this version in the MCU. Even his fate in the movie wasn't all that painful. He was being true to himself and trying to help people. Both trying to help Strange and Wanda. Even up against someone who didn't hesitate to kill him, he never lost his compassion.

Hopefully whoever they choose as the long term option can still capture this magic.

15. #root Registered

It was great seeing Stewart again as Xavier and the theme song was so nostalgic to hear.
    I do wish he got to do more in his fight with Wanda. Feels like he got beat really quickly. I thought it was weird how he just disappeared in the scene with Strange and Mordo but then when he showed up to protect America, I was like oh ok, a little mutant showdown, he’s about to show just how powerful he is but then… he died pretty much immediately.

16. TheVileOne Registered

Kind of like the rest of the Illuminati. ;)

17. #root Registered

I know, I know but the X-Men nerd in me wanted more :funny:. Still I’m happy that we got to see him again in a good portrayal. Stewart is always a delight.