THE SUICIDE SQUAD RATE AND REVIEW THREAD

8/10. Loved the political elements in the film, find they should been somewhat emphasized in the trailers to give the film a story hook rather than just relying on attitude to sell the film.

Negatives, hated Peacemaker, and not in a good way. Also, why can't anyone write some funny lines for Harley?

THE SUICIDE SQUAD: 8 Reasons The Movie BOMBED At The Box Office This Weekend
187084.jpg

The Suicide Squad earned less than 10% of its budget domestically this weekend, and it's gone from being praised as one of DC's best films to getting touted as a flop. Here's where Warner Bros. went wrong!
THE SUICIDE SQUAD: 8 Reasons The Movie BOMBED At The Box Office This Weekend

8/10. Loved the political elements in the film, find they should been somewhat emphasized in the trailers to give the film a story hook rather than just relying on attitude to sell the film.

Negatives, hated Peacemaker, and not in a good way. Also, why can't anyone write some funny lines for Harley?

Was it super political though? The references to the negative side of US military interventionism wasn’t really all that biting. I enjoyed having it called out, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think including the line or two from the movie would have created some new hook for audiences to latch on to.

And I thought Harley was funny enough. I liked her bit with Javelin on the beach. And her monologue with the General was funny yet had a serious undertone which I really got into. Gunn’s humor is not always my favorite, so I’m kind of happy that Quinn was spared some of the more cringe jokes from the script.

I agree though that I’m not looking forward to a Peacemaker series. He was a good character in the film, but some of his lines were just bad. Thank goodness the movie had Idris Elba to lift it back up.

Saw it tonight, enjoyed it a good bit but not as good as his GOTG movies for me, especially the first one. Highlights for me were Bloodsport, Ratcatcher 2, Polkadot Man and King Shark, can we get him in an Aquaman movie please!

I really enjoyed Harley here also, her best showing for me.

8/10

Last edited:
Was it super political though? The references to the negative side of US military interventionism wasn’t really all that biting. I enjoyed having it called out, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think including the line or two from the movie would have created some new hook for audiences to latch on to.

And I thought Harley was funny enough. I liked her bit with Javelin on the beach. And her monologue with the General was funny yet had a serious undertone which I really got into. Gunn’s humor is not always my favorite, so I’m kind of happy that Quinn was spared some of the more cringe jokes from the script.

I agree though that I’m not looking forward to a Peacemaker series. He was a good character in the film, but some of his lines were just bad. Thank goodness the movie had Idris Elba to lift it back up.

Well, the whole film has an overarching political hook to it, I just think sort of a hint in that direction would have been good for the trailers.

Some of the jokes for Harley were ok, but I thought the ones from the trailer like the "personalized license plate you die"was just awful. Nothing as good as "you're ruining date night" from SS in this film or BOP for that matter.

This...

Was as much a mess as the first one, which had just speaking for myself, better humor, action and characters all around.

This was... I had nothing to latch onto and tonally with characters, plot and general vibe, was all over the map and not in a positive, eclectic way.

I'm among the brave few that finds both GOTG 1 and 2 to just rub me the wrong way with it's supposed humor and fun and this Squad outing felt very much like a "dark" GOTG and... It didn't make anything better from the previous. And that's not to say that black comedic elements shouldn't be part of SS. But I feel very similar to 50% of Marvel Studios output, this film felt conceptualized from the "bits" they could have between characters first and then as an afterthought they decided on the "plot" to build around those bits.

It's watchable enough, but Gunn and Co. were not really interested in making me care about anything going on in the least.

And for the billionth time... Please keep Harley Quinn's bull**** away from SS. She added nothing to this film but what the character always does... Eye Candy, a "kooky" voice and attitude... And that it. There's no there, there and there never was, and there's zero reason to have her on this mission outside of DC having pushed her into the team for the lowest common denominator appeal the character has.

I don't see any of this as an improvment over the previous movie. A lackluster attempt at block buster movie making.

I didn't care about anyone or anything because among other things, these were all just caricatures of characters. No one has anything genuine to their characters just all surface details or really forced characterization at any given moment to fit either the "outrageous" dark humor or the out of nowhere pathos Gunn suddenly wants you to buy into.

There's also not much to really latch onto for fans of the Classic Squad. Killing Boomer? Half assing Flagg's death? Waller gets a coup pulled on her?

I don't know anyone that read the Squad book from back in the day that would have been okay with any of that.

Gunn put it together well enough, but the mechanics of his Tarantino styled out of sequence narrative seemed to have gotten a lot more thought than anything else outside of the "jokes".

And at this point the supposed "unexpected" humor route for super hero films isn't even close to being edgy or interesting. It's just the hack approach. It's the defacto formula almost and has been that way for close to a decade.

So for me... the "laughs" were forced and didn't do much.

The characters were thin and the film wanted you to feel and think things that were unearned.

The "fun" was the usual BS I've gotten with almost every other film about super heroes only now filtered through a James Gunn that wants to be even more outrageous after the Disney debacle.

It didn't even begin to try to honor anything from the comic book it's based on.

Sorry but... Ain't none of that going to entertain me as a general movie watcher and certainly it ain't satisfying me as a fan in particular of the characters and group.

Just saw this on HBO Max. 6/10 for me.

Definite improvement on Ayer's movie for sure (which I'd rate at maybe 3/10).

I'd say Gunn's general sensibilities kinda work a little bit in favor for some of the movie, but not all of it. But it had too much "Gunn" for me, for lack of a better term. It didn't need to be rated R, the pop music was a little too much, and while the humor was mildly entertaining, not all of it really worked.

My favorite part was the beginning (i.e. the decoy team also being a decoy to the audience, which made me laugh) and the ending with Starro. Speaking of which, was probably the highlight of the movie for me. Seeing an actual faithful adaptation of Starro was awesome!

My main complaint is that it's still not really the kind of Suicide Squad / Task Force X story that I'd like to see. The folks in DC Animation who put Task Force X into JL/JLU had a much better idea and handling on Task Force X. It's constantly frustrating that there's zero collaboration between DC Animation and the folks who make WB's live-action movies. The live-action movies could easily be so much better if the Animation folks had some type of creative input, even if just on story.

Really gotta praise the CGI on this movie though. King Shark and Starro were both extremely well-done. Even the throwaway Weasal character looked amazing.

Last edited:
I fell a sleep the first viewing, had to rewatch later. Overall I didn't really hate it, but I don't think I would watch it again. Alot of the humor was a miss for me. I did find pokadot man comical, but the other characters weren't. I did like Starro's appearance.

So far Gunn has been declining to me since GOTG 2, now this. Hopefully he gets it running on all cylinders for Guardians 3, I am optimistic.

Better than they David Ayer version. Lots of Gunn humor some of it I liked and some of it was dumb. I am so over Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. I wish they'd use other DC villains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"