Doctor Who comic recommendations

shallbecomeabat

Yes, father...
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm a big Doctor Who fan and follow the series since its reboot in 2005 (and love Eccleston's Doctor still the most). Since I'm also a big comicreader (mostly DC/Batman/Vertigo stuff) I am thinking about checking out the Doctor in comics as well. Do you guys have any recommendations for me where to start and what to buy?
Is there a book where the 3 newest Doctors meet? Are the comics official canon, or more like the expanded Star Wars universe?

Hey there,

I'm a big Doctor Who fan and follow the series since its reboot in 2005 (and love Eccleston's Doctor still the most). Since I'm also a big comicreader (mostly DC/Batman/Vertigo stuff) I am thinking about checking out the Doctor in comics as well. Do you guys have any recommendations for me where to start and what to buy?
Is there a book where the 3 newest Doctors meet? Are the comics official canon, or more like the expanded Star Wars universe?

If you're looking for Doctor Who comics, your best bet is to look toward IDW Publishing. Here's a link to their DW page: http://www.idwpublishing.com/catalog/series/496/ I'll go over my recommendations a little further down...

IDW's comics don't do too many crossovers between different Doctors. In fact, it's rare to find any comics featuring the 9th Doctor and Rose. I think there's a flashback or two, but that's about it. They only started publishing their own Doctor Who comics a couple years ago.

IDW's comics aren't really canon with the TV series. At best, the writers of the comics just try to fit the comics somewhere inbetween episodes of the show without making too many contradictions. But that's the case with the entire expanded Doctor Who universe. It's pretty much impossible to fit all of the comics, novels, audios, and even the TV episodes into a single continuity without things getting mixed up.

IDW's ongoing comic starts with the 10th Doctor, telling his adventures after leaving Donna and before "The End of Time." After issue #10, the comic switches to the 11th Doctor, Amy, and Rory.

Their "Classics" are actually re-colored collected reprints of the old Doctor Who comic strip from the Doctor Who Monthly magazine. Those old comics feature the Doctors who were on the TV show in the 70's and 80's.

"The Forgotten" is a really good miniseries featuring the 10th Doctor and Martha. I highly recommend it.

So, no Eccleston Doctor for me, huh? I suppose I should've expected that, since he only made one season. Hurm...

Ok, so I will check out the Tennant and Smith stuff. Any recommendations, except "the forgotten"? And wasn't the forgotten the story where the 10th Doctor has to remember who he was and sees a brief adventure of all his past selfes? So Eccleston has to have at least a small part, yes?

"Agent Provocateur" is another good one. It's the first Doctor Who comic IDW ever made. It stars the 10th Doctor and Martha.

Thing is, IDW got the rights to make their first few Doctor Who comics from the BBC right around the time Martha was on the show. That's why she's featured in a few miniseries and a couple of one-shots like "Whispering Gallery." Donna is only featured in a couple of one-shots (Autopia and Cold Blooded War). IDW didn't get the chance to make a full ongoing comic until the Specials gap when the Doctor was traveling alone. So a majority of IDW's comics feature the 11th Doctor, or the 10th Doctor either alone or with Martha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"