Yates to direct bigscreen 'Doctor Who'

just think it is ridiculous to force a current dr who actor on yates

just think it is ridiculous to force a current dr who actor on yates

I am sorry, but I find that ridiculous. Regeneration is not something that is simply played with. When an actor is the current incarnation of the Doctor, he is the Doctor. He is the brand. There is no one else.

It would be like having two people running around as Bond.

Big Who fan here. I feel if they want to make a film about a time travelling eccentric, that's fine. Just don't bring the Doctor Who brand into it. They should make their own characters. If it's a rogue outside of established Who canon, I wouldn't really see the point. Nor could I get excited for it in the same way as a canon story with Tennant or Smith in the lead. Not an outsider that has nothing to do with the show at all. The majority of fans would view it as an in name only affair.

I also dislike the sentiment that for Who to work in Hollywood, the television charms have to be thrown out or altered. It's quite insulting from where I stand. The program is the program and if they want to make a true Doctor Who movie you go along with it, or don't bother - do something else. You don't have to put anything aside and start from scratch. When you have rich history like Who you embrace it. As Moffat says, it comes down to "we don't just get a movie, we get the movie that everyone wants."

Ya all moffat was getting at is that yates isn't in officially with anyone or if he is the deals haven't been officially signed and sealed. Where is moffat is the current exec producer on dr. Who so he has more say in what's going on. Now if a film is due to be set in tv series myhos and what not. Its most logical who ever is the current actor playing the role should have first dibbs doing film. If iits not and a total fresh start for who then ya a new actor is fine. But it shouldn't be show and a non in canon film at same time. That just destroyes who a bit. When u can share the series continuity and history.

I am sorry, but I find that ridiculous. Regeneration is not something that is simply played with. When an actor is the current incarnation of the Doctor, he is the Doctor. He is the brand. There is no one else.

It would be like having two people running around as Bond.
I already tried that in here. They don't care.

Not really. I now it's crazy sci-fi, I like the concept, I like the director. What more do I need to be interested in a movie? I've been sold on plenty of movies based on books I never read, how is this any different? I'm interested and that's that. I'm not sure what your goal is here. To make me not interested?

I doubt I'll be such a negative nancy about it like fanboys are about everything. That's where fandom and I, of any series or character, diverge sharply. I would have loved to have seen George Millers JLA or even Tim Burton's Superman. If nothing else, it would have been interesting. I always try and remain optimistic about these sorts of things, and if it doesn't work out in the end, oh well, life moves on. No fits of nerd rage needed. Life's too short for such petty cynicism.

Update

Well, Im 4 episodes away from the end of David Tennant's run. Started with Eccleston, loved it instantly. I've watched a couple of Hartnell episode on VHS and a few Tom Bakers on the web. My amazon wish list is full of DW sets from years past that I can't wait to catch up on. I bought a Dalek poster. I'm a full on Doctor Who convert and I love that have such a deep history to dip into and discover.

And I still wouldn't care a bit if they made a big screen movie unrelated to the show.

Hopefully the companions will fill the young and sexy quota and they go with a Doctor who is middle aged. A younger Doctor with Matt Smith still in the role feels wrong. I personally want elderly, just because it is so different than anything we've seen since the revival and there are some fantastic older English actors out there like Geoffry Rush, Bill Nighy or John Hurt who would be fantastic in the role.

Geoffrey Rush would be a fantastic choice. He's great at playing smart characters and he would kill it playing alien. It's a choice that could resonate with new audiences too. He's been long respected and tons of people are familiar with him from the Pirates movies. He has real mainstream appeal. He could feasible headline a major blockbuster, if you're thinking like a cautious studio executive.

I want to see this movie now. David Yates, directing a a big screen Who, with its own continuity, starring Geoffrey Rush as the Doctor.

You know you'd all see it.

David Yates is still convinced he'll be making the film, but not before 2015:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2012/03/doctor-who-movies-on-way.html

ETA: Doctor Who Brand Manager Edward Russell has been in touch to remind us that Steven Moffat's denial of the proposed film is "the absolute truth and final word on the matter."

Bleeding Cool has an article up on Yates' latest based on a direct conversation with Yates. It seems pretty clear that Moffat doesn't have a hand at the table.

and now it's a continuation of the series when before they said it would be stand alone?

the plot thickens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"