Does Hillary Clinton have too much baggage to win a presidential election?

Taarna

Civilian
Reaction score
Does she have too much baggage to win a presidential election?

Age? She will be 69 for the election. This is old in the eyes of some voters for the most demanding job in USA politics.

Health? “She has to be carefully monitored for the rest of her life,” doctors warned former President Bill Clinton before Hillary was released from the hospital" Blood clots and the risk of stroke are high

Scandals. Benghazi. Private emails. Her's husband's.

Too seasoned? Unlike Mr. Obama, however, about whom we knew very little about before his rise, the Hillary Clinton preview of coming attractions has been running on a near-continuous loop for the better part of 30 years. She has said too much, and voted in ways that can be used in a campaign to her disadvantage.

Bill Clinton was very skilled and clam with crisis Management. Hillary has an angry voice on such matters

Last edited:
Would you ever create a thread like this about a male presidential candidate?

Yes. I think Gingrich has too much baggage. But he is not running in 2016.

Last edited:

Well, with Hillary the question is bigger because she seems to be the only candidate the democrats are seriously considering running. So her viability is therefore a bigger issue than any of the other male candidates.

Well, with Hillary the question is bigger because she seems to be the only candidate the democrats are seriously considering running. So her viability is therefore a bigger issue than any of the other male candidates.

There is our gaffe prone VP, Joe Biden. John Kerry might give it a go. But you are correct the Dem's field is rather thin, which makes it a bigger issue.

This is frankly a legitimate question IMO. This is a person who is the clear frontrunner of the Democratic nomination to the point where she is basically getting a coronation with no serious challenger. This is regardless of gender and there are a lot of issues regarding Hillary. And the way you phrased your question is just one of oh so many issues I have with her.

While I don't think that Hillary has done anything criminal so far, the latest issue has become the last straw for me in regards to her. I really hope she doesn't run for President and allow another Democrat to try and grab the mantle who is far more deserving of the nomination, whether it be a woman like Elizabeth Warren or a man like Joe Biden.

She has a lot of baggage. I can't rule her out from winning the race, because the opposition sucks so bad. But she has a ton of baggage...it's stuff that's hard or impossible to explain or defend. Days are passing by and still no official explanation from her on the private email server. It looks really bad. 6 years without reporting! This is a frigging scandal. How much is it going to hurt her once the race begins? How much is it hurting her right now? I don't think anybody really knows.

My gut feeling is that it's not currently hurting her reputation that much, because it's too early and people are just not paying attention. But in the end, it's all going to come crashing down on her and she's not going to be able to overcome. I think she's being set up for a spectacular failure.

This is frankly a legitimate question IMO. This is a person who is the clear frontrunner of the Democratic nomination to the point where she is basically getting a coronation with no serious challenger. This is regardless of gender and there are a lot of issues regarding Hillary. And the way you phrased your question is just one of oh so many issues I have with her.

While I don't think that Hillary has done anything criminal so far, the latest issue has become the last straw for me in regards to her. I really hope she doesn't run for President and allow another Democrat to try and grab the mantle who is far more deserving of the nomination, whether it be a woman like Elizabeth Warren or a man like Joe Biden.

Interesting reply Hippie. With Hillary there could no singular bomb that ends her political career. It could be death by 1,000 paper cuts.

I have heard good things about Warren. She started out as a Republican, which isn't easy in Mass.

Last edited:
She has a lot of baggage. I can't rule her out from winning the race, because the opposition sucks so bad. But she has a ton of baggage...it's stuff that's hard or impossible to explain or defend. Days are passing by and still no official explanation from her on the private email server. It looks really bad. 6 years without reporting! This is a frigging scandal. How much is it going to hurt her once the race begins? How much is it hurting her right now? I don't think anybody really knows.

My gut feeling is that it's not currently hurting her reputation that much, because it's too early and people are just not paying attention. But in the end, it's all going to come crashing down on her and she's not going to be able to overcome. I think she's being set up for a spectacular failure.

Here's the worry for team Clinton. What if Clinton deleted emails that she did not want the voters to see? Its a private email likely backed up by long term storage in a cloud which can be retrieved. Clinton can not be sure what can be retrieved. And what if there is a smoking gun on Benghazi?

She's walking on eggs shells right now and can not announce anything until this issue is dead or explained.

In politics, an oops I forgot can be over come, but a cover up is devastating. It was a public email brought General Petraeus down.

Last edited:
Interesting reply Hippie. With Hillary there could no singular bomb that ends her political career. It could be death by 1,000 paper cuts.
I don't see this as a career ender for her, but it's emblematic of the problems with Clintonland. This incident IMO shows that the Clintons haven't changed at all since the 1990's and it infuriates me. It infuriates me that the Clintons continue to think that they're the only ones who are above the rules; it infuriates me that the Clintons still rely on the general apathy of the American public to get away with unethical (not illegal, but certainly unethical) activities; it infuriates me that the Clintons still use sycophantic surrogates to attack the media on genuine concerns about their activities; it infuriates me that they rely on the stupidity of Republicans to overreact to weasel their way out of problems; it infuriates me that they manipulate history to gloss over their issues; it infuriates me of their utter disdain for openness and transparency; and it infuriates me that Hillary is dumb enough to continue acting like the Hillary of 2008 that lost to Barack Obama as opposed to taking in the lessons as to why she lost the Democratic primary.

She clearly doesn't deserve to run for President IMO. There are many Democrats, both progressive and centrist, man and woman, who are far more deserving and worthy of the Democratic nomination.

I have heard good things about Warren. She started out as a Republican, which isn't easy in Mass.
I think Warren would be a bomb in the general election, especially if she goes up against Jeb Bush. I think she's far too progressive to be palatable for the general public. I think the only way she can win a general election for President is if she goes up against an unpalatable conservative like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson.

She clearly doesn't deserve to run for President IMO. There are many Democrats, both progressive and centrist, man and woman, who are far more deserving and worthy of the Democratic nomination.

Hate to say this but you have to be pragmatic when it comes to picking a candidate. There is many people I would prefer but chances are they might lose in a general election.

They really need to change the rules for election donations that it makes it easier for a somebody who may not be able to raise campaign funds from Big donors. Sort of sad but it seems like we basically will end up with candidates who can raise the most cash from a small group of people on both sides.

it infuriates me that they rely on the stupidity of Republicans to overreact to weasel their way out of problems

When i heard about the email I thought if done right you could really use this against her, but I bet the Republicans will use it to do something stupid like bring up Benghazi yet again for the 20th time(and it seems I am right)

Hate to say this but you have to be pragmatic when it comes to picking a candidate. There is many people I would prefer but chances are they might lose in a general election.
Yes you have to be pragmatic, but there are plenty of pragmatic Democratic candidates. Joe Biden would bring in a lot of heft for example.

They really need to change the rules for election donations that it makes it easier for a somebody who may not be able to raise campaign funds from Big donors. Sort of sad but it seems like we basically will end up with candidates who can raise the most cash from a small group of people on both sides.
Money is a bit overrated IMO. It's just an easy talking point for both sides to vilify.

When i heard about the email I thought if done right you could really use this against her, but I bet the Republicans will use it to do something stupid like bring up Benghazi yet again for the 20th time(and it seems I am right)
Without a doubt if done right this could be used against her. But just like how the Clintons were able to turn his impeachment for perjury into impeachment for blow job and turned an abused intern into a **** due to Republican overreaction, we'll probably see the same thing here.

Clinton admitted to deleting emails. Which emails?

I don't see this as a career ender for her, but it's emblematic of the problems with Clintonland. This incident IMO shows that the Clintons haven't changed at all since the 1990's and it infuriates me. It infuriates me that the Clintons continue to think that they're the only ones who are above the rules; it infuriates me that the Clintons still rely on the general apathy of the American public to get away with unethical (not illegal, but certainly unethical) activities; it infuriates me that the Clintons still use sycophantic surrogates to attack the media on genuine concerns about their activities; it infuriates me that they rely on the stupidity of Republicans to overreact to weasel their way out of problems; it infuriates me that they manipulate history to gloss over their issues; it infuriates me of their utter disdain for openness and transparency; and it infuriates me that Hillary is dumb enough to continue acting like the Hillary of 2008 that lost to Barack Obama as opposed to taking in the lessons as to why she lost the Democratic primary.

I think Warren would be a bomb in the general election, especially if she goes up against Jeb Bush. I think she's far too progressive to be palatable for the general public. I think the only way she can win a general election for President is if she goes up against an unpalatable conservative like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson.

While a lot can happen in the next six months I think Jeb has what it takes to win the presidency.

He's a fluent spanish speaker with a Latino wife who's pro immigration by republican standards. This means he'll get a higher percentage of the Latino vote, which is very key.

Jeb is backed by the Bush fund raising machine, which is 3-1 in presidential elections. He's also done fine work in Florida as governor, which is the key swing state in 2016.

While hard core conservatives might frown upon Jeb being too moderate on some issues, I think most of them who back Scott Walker would walk over broken glass to vote for Jeb over Hillary Clinton.

For what's it worth, I once briefly meet the man in a hotel in Orlando circa 2006. Jeb was there for some political event and waiting in the hotel lobby. I was 10 feet away from him waiting to check in. He saw me looking at him and said hello.

Jeb's a big man! He really stands out in a room. I'm 6'1" tall, and he had a least 2-3" on me. I thought Jeb had a regular guy vibe, and an easy smile about him. IMO, he can connect well with Joe average voter. If you didn't know who he was you'd think he was a friendly dad taking his kids to Disney world.

Last edited:
While a lot can happen in the next six months I think Jeb has what it takes to win the presidency.

I kind of like Jeb Bush, I have for a few years actually, but as a non-American, I wonder if you feel his marriage to a Latino woman and his mixed-race family will mean a lot of hard-right conservatives will simply stay at home on election day. Not sure if that's still an issue in 2015, but on some level from what I see of movements like the Tea Party and so forth, I sense that some people will vote or not vote along those lines.

Also, that and the fairly serious drug-related offences some of his children have been arrested for.

Last edited:
I think the hard right has become so partisan that they'll vote for Jeb just so a Democrat will not get the White House again.

I kind of like Jeb Bush, I have for a few years actually, but as a non-American, I wonder if you feel his marriage to a Latino woman and his mixed-race family will mean a lot of hard-right conservatives will simply stay at home on election day. Not sure if that's still an issue in 2015, but on some level from what I see of movements like the Tea Party and so forth, I sense that some people will vote or not vote along those lines.

Also, that and the fairly serious drug-related offences some of his children have been arrested for.

Supposes or children hardly matter if they are out of politics and keep quiet. Jeb's wife is very quiet.

Obama's wife made some early noise saying for the first time in her adult life she was proud of the her country, which can be taken that she was not proud of the USA in the past. She also called the USA a mean country. Damage control happened quickly, and the next week she was on Oprah and Ellen to soften her image, then she stayed quiet.

Back to Hillary. She has 10X the smoke of any republican candidate unless Gingrich runs.

I think Hillary is as overrated as Firefly.

I also think this presumptive nominee stuff is going to turn people off. Obama came out of seemingly nowhere. He energized people.

I'm already sick of Hillary.

I think Hillary is as overrated as Firefly.

I also think this presumptive nominee stuff is going to turn people off. Obama came out of seemingly nowhere. He energized people.

I'm already sick of Hillary.

I agree Hilary is Bill without the charisma. She is also far more arrogant and indignant than Bill is.

I have a bunch of liberal friends who are on "quiet time" after her press conference. I hope this ruins her chances cause she basically possesses all of Bill's bad traits but none of his good traits!

Last edited:
That is what did Hillary in during the 2008 Primaries. She acted as if she were the entitled presumptive nominee and Obama genuinely worked for it. He also ran to the left to engage the progressive voting base of primary voters, but Hillary could have overcome that the way McCain and Romney did if she actually tried. And now we're seeing it yet again as if Hillary didn't learn a god damn thing.

Supernews kinda portrayed Hillary a bit accurately IMO
[YT]SOkjamMeizU[/YT]
[YT]-vZ9eyogaw8[/YT]

That is what did Hillary in during the 2008 Primaries. She acted as if she were the entitled presumptive nominee and Obama genuinely worked for it. He also ran to the left to engage the progressive voting base of primary voters, but Hillary could have overcome that the way McCain and Romney did if she actually tried. And now we're seeing it yet again as if Hillary didn't learn a god damn thing.

Supernews kinda portrayed Hillary a bit accurately IMO
[YT]SOkjamMeizU[/YT]
[YT]-vZ9eyogaw8[/YT]

Dude that is SPOT ON especially the Messiah Obama "healing" the leper lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"