• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Don payne writing thor 2.

That, and remember this: Zak Penn is not a good writer. But, he wrote TIH's early drafts. TIH was a good movie. If they can get enough out of Penn to touch it up into a good script, same can be done for Don Payne.

Norton heavily rewrote Penn's draft.

Well Protosevich did a damn good job on the first draft, I don't see why not give him another chance now that everything is layed out

Agree with this 100%. Why the heck not Marvel? I say Protosevich SHOULD be the one to map out Thor's sequel. I mean, come on! He loves Thor.

It befuddles me why Marvel keeps turning to Penn and Payne. I'm guessing because they're easily controlled and closely tied to the company. For some reason, bold outside talent = bad in the Marvel Studios-verse. They really need to be drawing exciting, talented writers into their stable and not relying on the same safe lackies.

This multiple writer business is also problematic. They managed to get away with it on Thor - although few would call the film a masterpiece in any way, shape or form - but too many cooks in the kitchen spells disaster. *Cough* Green Lantern *Cough*. Choose smart right off the bat and the last minute clean-up crew wouldn't be necessary.

Zak Penn writes scripts that are cheap to film.

It befuddles me why Marvel keeps turning to Penn and Payne. I'm guessing because they're easily controlled and closely tied to the company. For some reason, bold outside talent = bad in the Marvel Studios-verse. They really need to be drawing exciting, talented writers into their stable and not relying on the same safe lackies.

This multiple writer business is also problematic. They managed to get away with it on Thor - although few would call the film a masterpiece in any way, shape or form - but too many cooks in the kitchen spells disaster. *Cough* Green Lantern *Cough*. Choose smart right off the bat and the last minute clean-up crew wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah. Probably the same way they rely on Chris Yost for their animated flicks, that has always "befuddled" me, too.

And I also agree about Thor not being a masterpiece. Well, let me clarify that, I did like Thor. No-no, I LOVED Thor. Seriously. Buuuut, somehow, there was something missing in the dialogue, you know? The Asgard stuffs were great. But on the Earth scenes? I dunno. I kind of wish there was some more, ummmm, "gravitas" (that word has been used often in that movie by movie critics). There funny lines, and with multiple viewings, I have seen how different crowds reacted similarly to the same scenes (you know, "I want a horse", "we have a robin hood, xena, jacky chan"), but the Earth scenes lacked weight (except when Thor was about to die, now, THAT has got me choked up every single time). So, yeah, I am agreeing with you, I think they SHOULD improve on the writing this time around, and I hope they wouldn't skimp out on the fight scenes (the Destroyer in under 10 seconds, really?).

I hope they wouldn't skimp out on the fight scenes (the Destroyer in under 10 seconds, really?).

Heck yeah, I think the fight scenes in Thor were pretty good but they can DEFINATLEY improve on them in Thor 2.

I mean it's Thor, not only is he a powerhouse himself but he also has some very powerful/skilled villains in his enemy list.

I wouldn't worry about this this guy so much because writers have to write with in the confines of what the studio wants. Fox probably had a checklist of what they wanted and the man didn't have free reign. Studios also say this is gonna cost to much, go back and rewrite, then they bring in other writers for cost effectiveness. I could go on and I could be wrong on this but it most
often is the case. Look at GL. That movie looked like it reeked of studio interference and the suits wanted a checklist of things put in.

I just cant imagine Marvel hiring this guy unless they saw something in him.

To play Devil's advocate for a sec, studios would rather hire a proven writer or director who's had some success in the past despite that person making a mediocre product instead of taking a risk with new talent.

Last edited:
I just don't think Don is a very good writer. The writing was not the strong point of Thor, to be honest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"