Brian Kirk in talks for "Thor 2"

Yeah I agree about Payne. They should probably get someone else in kind of like what they did with Zac Penn and the Avengers.

I'm quite interested by the idea of Kirk! I hope he's allowed to make a real go of it and give it a bigger scale and less of a Spy Kids feel.

I wonder what his vision is?

They should have started where they started before. A plot outline by JMS.

Could be quite interesting to see what he does with the sequel. Game of Thrones was a pretty cool show, I still haven't seen all the episodes but the ones I saw they had a good balance of action, story and character development.

From the write up it sounds like it will be strictly an asgard based story, which sounds awesome!

I think Marvel definitely knows what they are looking for in terms of the directors they want to set the different tone for each character. I think this is a SMART choice. Perhaps they are looking for directors who are no so ego-driven...yet in order that they may get the characterizations correct?

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...el/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

According to the trade paper, Kirk rose to the top of Marvel’s list of candidates to succeed Kenneth Branagh “after he showed his abilities to juggle large ensembles of thesps and complex storylines in his TV projects, while also grounding the fantasy genre via his work on Thrones.” He reportedly edged out such contenders as Breck Eisner (The Crazies), Drew Goddard (Cabin in the Woods), James McTeigue (Ninja Assassin) and Noam Murro (300: Battle of Artemesia).

Never seen GOT so not sure about this guy myself, would have preferred someone like Eisner off the list as he has done some good movies.

Still gutted Branagh isnt in the directors chair this time, so much of what worked in the first movie was because of him IMO.

Everyone who has not yet seen GOT, what the hell are you doing... GTFO and go watch you some episodes!!!

Game of Thrones is good, but you are definitely missing out if you haven't read the books it is based on.

As for this director, I have seen most shows he has directed the episodes of so at least he knows how to handle an ensemble cast. Still though, it's an left-field choice to go with after Branagh and I'm a bit worried that since he's a TV director that means he's easier for the studio to control. I hope that isn't the case since Marvel has so far a good track-record with the working relationship with the directors but you never know.

Game of Thrones is good, but you are definitely missing out if you haven't read the books it is based on.

As for this director, I have seen most shows he has directed the episodes of so at least he knows how to handle an ensemble cast. Still though, it's an left-field choice to go with after Branagh and I'm a bit worried that since he's a TV director that means he's easier for the studio to control. I hope that isn't the case since Marvel has so far a good track-record with the working relationship with the directors but you never know.
JJ Abrams was a TV director before he did M:IIIIIIIIIIIIIII, Star Trek and Super 8 and look what happend to him.
Joss Whedon was a TV director, not even a good one, before he did Firefly and still got the gig for Avengers.

JJ Abrams was a TV director before he did M:IIIIIIIIIIIIIII, Star Trek and Super 8 and look what happend to him.
Joss Whedon was a TV director, not even a good one, before he did Firefly and still got the gig for Avengers.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were great shows. What do you mean he wasn't a good TV director :huh:

Plus, Whedon was also head writer of Buffy/Firefly, and one of the 2 heads of Angel. Brian Kirk, to my knowledge, is not a main writer of the shows he has done. Thus, he has less influence.

Last edited:
This may be a good choice or not. However, -even though it's an odd choice if they hire him- one of the assets with Kirk is that he is capable of handling large cast with complex story-lines.

idk, i mean don't get me wrong...i LOVE Game of Thrones, but there's a huge difference between directing a a few episodes of some quality shows and a feature length film. and this is a different case then the likes of Joss Whedon and J.J Abrams, those two were show runners, the creative force behind the show, directors have very little creative influence in the making of episodes. and how one handles an ensemble mostly falls on writing. i would have much preferred edgar wright or duncan jones or matt reeves.

I don't think there that big a difference if you can handle vision and a cast.

David Yates was a tv director before the Harry Potter and had done well.

And I was hoping Matt Reeves as well.

Game of Throwns is no doubt about it one of my favorite new shows.

Admitt it folks, how many of you would love it if a Marvel book landed a high quality series on HBO..... 50 minutes of dern good stuff every week... hell they could leave Thor as just an occaisional cameo and develop an entire sereis based on Asgaurd alone

... I am good with the choice.

True that.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were great shows. What do you mean he wasn't a good TV director :huh:

Plus, Whedon was also head writer of Buffy/Firefly, and one of the 2 heads of Angel. Brian Kirk, to my knowledge, is not a main writer of the shows he has done. Thus, he has less influence.

I haven't seen those but am aware of the following and all, yet he could mean good TV director in terms of getting inspired shots and great performances. Though there's only so far you can go on some stations, especially network.

yeah, people seem to think that just because he directed four episodes of am epic show, that he was part of the creative process, that goes to the show runners, like J.J Abrams and Joss Whedon. this guy could be a hired gun for all we know.

Nothing wrong with that. Steve Moffat was a hired gun before becoming the frontrunner of the new Doctor Who. I'm fairly certain it worked out alright for them.

I just want two things from Kirk.

1. That he has a great vision for the character and can make as incredible a difference as del Toro did when he took over Blade 2 and...

2. That Marvel leaves him alone so he can do that.

You guys do realize that Brian Kirk only directed 3 episodes of Game of Thrones season 1. He is not responsible for the entire season 1.

I think its a decent choice if he is good with actors and handling large ensemble casts. Let's face it, Thor had great performances by Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston. It also had great looking Asgard and costumes and interesting story of Loki. However, the action scenes were meh.

He can't be any worse than Kenneth Branaugh when it comes to staging action sequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"