Brian Kirk in talks for "Thor 2"

Plus, Whedon was also head writer of Buffy/Firefly, and one of the 2 heads of Angel. Brian Kirk, to my knowledge, is not a main writer of the shows he has done. Thus, he has less influence.
Good, another example would be Spielberg. Before his breakthorough in H-wood he was just another hired gun for episodes of TV shows like Columbo.
Most people have to start somewhere. Not everyone can start with MTV clips or advertising.

You guys do realize that Brian Kirk only directed 3 episodes of Game of Thrones season 1. He is not responsible for the entire season 1.

I think its a decent choice if he is good with actors and handling large ensemble casts. Let's face it, Thor had great performances by Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston. It also had great looking Asgard and costumes and interesting story of Loki. However, the action scenes were meh.

He can't be any worse than Kenneth Branaugh when it comes to staging action sequences.

I read somewhere that Kenneth Branagh was only tasked to handle the dramatic performances of the actors and the screen shots. The action sequences were choreographed by the same crew that handled Captain America. Having seen both movies, I wonder sometimes if they saved all their A-game for Cap, because it was seriously lacking in Thor.

I read somewhere that Kenneth Branagh was only tasked to handle the dramatic performances of the actors and the screen shots. The action sequences were choreographed by the same crew that handled Captain America. Having seen both movies, I wonder sometimes if they saved all their A-game for Cap, because it was seriously lacking in Thor.

Having a director like Joe Johnston to stage action sequences helps. Most of the action scenes in CA reminded me of Star Wars Return of Jedi and Raiders of the lost Ark. Joe worked on both those movies. His experience+the action crew made CA's action scenes better choreogrpahed and more enjoyable. Though I am still very mixed about that montage action sequence...it should have been properly staged.

Thor's battle with the Frost Giants is far better than in any fight in Cap, oh and his fight with Loki was better than Cap's fight with Redskull as well.

So I don't see how Cap's action scenes were so much better than Thor's.

Last edited:
Thor's battle with the Frost Giants is far better than in any fight in Cap, his fight with Loki was better than Cap's fight with Redskull as well.

Agreed, BigThor.

Thor's battle with the Frost Giants is far better than in any fight in Cap, oh and his fight with Loki was better than Cap's fight with Redskull as well.

....could have been longer :D tho I still liked it.

Agreed
icon14.gif

....could have been longer :D tho I still liked it.

That's what sequels are for, Spider-Man 1 didn't really have any "mind blowing" fights but SM2 had some of the best CMB fight scenes ever.

Personally, I thought Captain America's action scenes were poor and corny. I felt no emotion, and no thrills in the action scenes.

Thor's action scenes on the other hand, I thought they were better staged, and has more emotions going through the scenes. It could definitely be more epic in the sequel. Marvel shouldn't hold back their budgets for these films.

Thor's action scenes on the other hand, I thought they were better staged, and has more emotions going through the scenes. It could definitely be more epic in the sequel. Marvel shouldn't hold back their budgets for these films.

This :up:

I think you are looking at the Thor film with rose-tinted glasses. Sure, the battle at Jotunheim was very enjoyable, but after that? We get the fight versus Shield, Destroyer, and last Loki. The fight versus Shield looked very weak (especially against the last guy). The Destroyer fight was too short. The fight with Loki lacked intensity.

I am a Thor fan, I am not a fan of Captain America, but even I have to admit that Cap's chase scene, motor cycle scene, train scene, fighting against Hyrda soldiers (before being captured), freeing the Howling commandos, and fight inside the hydra bomber are more satisfying and exciting than what we have been given in Thor (except for the Jotunheim scene, which was very dark and too fast to properly appreciate in the first place).

I think Cap had better action scenes than Thor did, also. Thor had some good ones, don't get me wrong, but Cap's I think were just better overall. The battle in Jotunheim was good, but I felt Cap's assault of the Skull's Hydra base to free Bucky and the others was better.

I think you are looking at the Thor film with rose-tinted glasses. Sure, the battle at Jotunheim was very enjoyable, but after that? We get the fight versus Shield, Destroyer, and last Loki. The fight versus Shield looked very weak (especially against the last guy). The Destroyer fight was too short. The fight with Loki lacked intensity.

No, I'm looking at them with "I flat out think Thor's action scenes were better glasses". As you can see from the numerous post that agreed with mine, I'm not the only one that thinks so.

The Destroyer scene may have been short but Thor created a freaking TORNADO, oh and imo Cap's fight with Red Skull was inferior to Thor vs. Loki (no matter how much intensity it lacked)

Edit: For the record I think Cap had pretty good action scenes, I just think Thor's were a bit better.

Last edited:
I'm gonna stay out of this debate. Enough in crowd Marvel arguments on this forum lately, LOL!

It's not a debate, it's just a matter of personal preference...it's all good.

I think the Frost giant battle was the best single action sequence of the two films but Cap had more consistant action and a better end fight. After the frost giant battle, none of Thor's other action sequences measured up to it. The end fight in Thor was just jump-thrust spear-block with hammer-jump back-repeat....it wasn't really all that well choreographed or innovative. The emotion of the two characters is what saved it. In Cap's end battle they did creative stuff like the zero-G fighting while the plane was diving, and Red Skull's end was handled very well...very ROTLA-ish(in a good way).

That's my 2-cents on the debate.

Oh and I'm fine with Kirk directing Thor 2. Tom Hooper directed John Adams for HBO before he went on to direct The King's Speech to a best picture win. When it comes to these movies, it's equally important if not more so that the STUDIO have the right idea in mind and be able to support the director rather than just trusting in the director himself/herself, no matter who he/she is. In that sense I have confidence in MS's ability.

No worrys here. But just a quick question: Is Branagh at least staying on to produce? I'd be even happier if that was the case.

so is it official that brian kirk is directing yet? he's not my ideal choice, I mean, better action is a common desire for the sequal, but everyone seems fine with the guy who directed three episodes of a tv show that SKIPPED OVER the big battle scene? but whatever, if he's chosen, i'll live with it, he doesn't seem like a bad choice, i just think we could have gotten better.

When it comes to the action directing, I'm more interested in who's the assistant director, stunt coordinator, things like that. You hire folks who know their stuff and have a great eye for what looks cool action-wise and then just make sure they are sympatico with the movie's director on how he wants the film to look. Peter Jackson didn't know didley-squat about action prior to LOTR but he had capable, talented people who DID and they collaborated effectively.

I think the Frost giant battle was the best single action sequence of the two films but Cap had more consistant action and a better end fight. After the frost giant battle, none of Thor's other action sequences measured up to it. The end fight in Thor was just jump-thrust spear-block with hammer-jump back-repeat....it wasn't really all that well choreographed or innovative. The emotion of the two characters is what saved it. In Cap's end battle they did creative stuff like the zero-G fighting while the plane was diving, and Red Skull's end was handled very well...very ROTLA-ish(in a good way).

That's my 2-cents on the debate.

Understandable, but I'd take Thor's fight with Loki over Cap's fight with Red Skull although it is pretty close.

Nooo! They can't replace Kenneth Branaugh. :( He did so well with the first movie.

You're a few months too late.

Not that I have any say whatsoever in who Disney hires as the director for the sequel! :oldrazz:

Anyways, I would have thought that they'd want to retain Mr. Branaugh's services for the sequel considering the first movie was better than it ought to have been based upon the subject matter and whether or not your typical movie goer would accept the world of Marvel's Thor comics. I suppose there is hope for Branaugh to return for a future sequel though. I guess he's just really busy with future movie and/or theater productions that he just didn't have the time to commit to a sequel.

After much thinking....I'm actually quite excited about this choice for director.

Marvel has made good choices so far so i'm going to trust them till they give me a reason not to. They have an excellent track record so far.

I honestly just believe that Branagh did not want to go right back into production on Thor II with no break, which they pretty much wanted him to do.

I think Marvels production schedule is what some involved are finding difficult. It takes up a HUGE part of a directors life to make a good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"