Brian Kirk in talks for "Thor 2"

HighFivingMF

Welp.
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Brian Kirk is in early negotiations to helm "Thor 2" for Marvel Studios and Disney, which will bring Chris Hemsworth's hammer-wielding superhero back to the bigscreen for his next adventure after "The Avengers."
The Irish helmer is best known for directing episodes of HBO's "Game of Thrones," "Boardwalk Empire" and "Luck," as well as Showtime's "Dexter" and BBC's "Luther" and its upcoming "Great Expectations." "Thor 2" would mark his directorial debut on a big-budget Hollywood tentpole.

Kirk rose to the top of the list of directors vying for the job after he showed his abilities to juggle large ensembles of thesps and complex storylines in his TV projects, while also grounding the fantasy genre via his work on "Thrones." The "Thor" sequel is expected to feature a large cast of Aasgardians and creatures in the Norse mythology-set world.

Film already is skedded for release on July 26, 2013. Disney was eager to put the pic on its schedule after "Thor" collected $447 million at the worldwide box office, and the character proves a central figure in "The Avengers."

Although invited back to direct Hemsworth in another "Thor," Kenneth Branagh opted not to return.

Don Payne, who co-wrote "Thor," is tackling the sequel. He also scripted Fox's "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

Production began last month of "Great Expectations," BBC's three-part adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel. Project, penned by Sarah Phelps, stars Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson, Douglas Booth, Izzy Meikle-Small and Vanessa Kirby.

A number of other helmers had been considered for the "Thor" sequel, including Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods"), James McTeigue ("Ninja Assassin"), Noam Murro ("300: Battle of Artemesia") and Breck Eisner ("The Crazies").

Other helmers are also being eyed should Kirk's deal not go through.

A Marvel Studios spokesperson declined to comment.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040898

Well he directed some Games of Thrones episodes, but Im not so sure on this choice

I'm ok with this if it means that most of the movie will be set in Asgard.

Well, at least it's an indication that most of the movie might take place elswhere but midgard...

Best thing about this choice is the guy knows how to direct actors; he'll get some good performances and with the more fantastical elements of the other realms, the work put into making the audience care about the characters will make the film better.

Good choice!

How does his episodes of "Game of Thrones" compare to the rest?

If it can't be Branagh, a Game of Thrones director sounds like a fine choice. I'm usually skeptical of directors who haven't done film before, but every single episode of Thrones was awesome, and the show is of nigh-theatrical quality.

Once again, Marvel is looking at choices that no one would suspect. Left field if it happens.

He actually directer some pretty awesome episodes of game of thrones so I say give the man a chance anyone who handled that material well would be well suited for this universe. alot of that is however attributable to the writing tho.

He...could be good? I have not seen enough from him to judge. I couldn't even tell you what eps of Dexter he directed. But, I'll give him a shot. At least they'e thinking outside the box?

This is so out of left field, it may just be genius! Now..... we wait! :awesome:

He could be good. I've watched Dexter but I don't know which episodes. But I fear Marvel just wants to hire a no-name "Yes-Man"

If true, this could be awesome! Game of Thrones is simply amazing.

A poster in CHUD sort of brings up a good point: isn't the writer more responsible than the director for a TV show's creative direction?

A TV director still has to know whether a certain take has the right performance and nuance before moving on. A showrunner and the writers will develop the storyline but it's still up to the director to work with the actors and frame shots.

I'm very pleased with this choice, his episodes of Game of Thrones are pretty solid. I would have preferred Daniel Knauf though.

I watched all of Game of Thrones last weekend, loved every second of it.
I honestly couldn't tell the tonal differences between episodes, I did notice how there were many different directors but they always felt just as good as the next.
I'm thinking this is indication of directors that can follow the lead of a studio, which isn't a bad thing so long as the studio has good vision.

I watched all of Game of Thrones last weekend, loved every second of it.
I honestly couldn't tell the tonal differences between episodes, I did notice how there were many different directors but they always felt just as good as the next.
I'm thinking this is indication of directors that can follow the lead of a studio, which isn't a bad thing so long as the studio has good vision.

Very true

Interesting choice. Kirk, like Branagh, is also Irish, :-)D) and has worked with Idris Elba on Luther.

I'm not sure how much of Game of Thrones Kirk directed, he was credited on episodes 3, 4 and 5 but I think these are arranged (did he really go to Malta to direct a bunch of scenes in those episodes)?

Regardless we have a director like Branagh who'll focus on the performances and Thor's family drama. I wish him best of luck.

Marvel are so cheap

Marvel are so cheap

In some ways, perhaps.lol, but they've picked great directors for the most part in regards to their franchises in the MCU so far.

Truth be told, hiring a BIG Name for a director could prove to be a double edge sword since they may not respect the material for the film itself as much as other, and lesser known directors would.

Now if they would only do something about Don Payne, just being reminded that he wrote
F4: R.O.S.S worries me greatly. Last thing we want is a camp fest in Asgard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"