• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man Donald Glover wants to be Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
People.....Gilpesh is just trolling the thread trying to start an argument....please ignore him.
but isn't that the point of a message board? to promote debate? i'm gonna back gil on this one in spirit if not method. otherwise this thread would consist of a handful of people agreeing with each other and gang-flaming anyone who disagreed with them.

Here's a trick I did a few days ago to my 9 year old nephew. I told him that Glover was going to be Spider-Man and showed him a picture. He hit the roof and wouldn't have it,

"He's not Spider-Man,he isnt the same colour as he is in the comics. I dont like him". He was then on the verge of tears.

The point to that is people will be confused,especially little kids. They will never accept and like, a huge change like that.

Well that's because your little nephew is racists. :whatever:

:doh: swear the mentally of some of you posters in here is frightening...i just read 2 pages of gibberish but my fav. is posters complaining about this thread still being open, BUT YET they are in here posting for another 2 pages! ha ha

lets contradict ourselves some more why dont you..."i want this thread closed" but at the same time you're continuing to post in here! ha ha oh god!!! ha ha

:facepalm:

Here's a tip. Look up the word "facetious." The world will make a lot more sense.

Fury turned black on a whim in a comic? Suuure. Spidey turned black because Glover could play it well? **** THAT YOU PIECE OF ****, YOU'RE WRONG AND I HOPE YOU DIE!

Did anyone say "I HOPE YOU DIE!" Have I not taught you anything about a straw man arguement?

And AGAIN! That's right, AGAIN! What is it about Glover that makes him a good Peter? Is it the fact he looks nothing like him? Or is it the fact he's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too old? Or is it the fact he is just the right amount of racists in his own standup to be Peter? Or is it that he is an "F" list actor and isn't very good? Oh I see. He's a standup comic and Peter is funny as Spider-Man. He's perfect!

I swear people are sheep. They jump right on the nearest band wagon. Even more so when it's dressed up like a NAACP anti-racists campaign.

but isn't that the point of a message board? to promote debate? i'm gonna back gil on this one in spirit if not method. otherwise this thread would consist of a handful of people agreeing with each other and gang-flaming anyone who disagreed with them.

THANK YOU

I've been saying that since I first started posting on message boards a decade ago, there's a difference between sharing opinion, arguing, and trolling

but so many people (especially this particular board) are so quick to pull the "troll card" it's beyond ridiculous. Just another term that lost meaning due to getting tossed around and being mis-used too damn much.

I'm positive 90% of the posters here don't even know what the hell "trolling" even means.

Are you calling me "troll ignorant"? You're racist! :cmad:

Are you using magic to turn things around on me? Your a witch!

And racist! :cmad:

Oh, and I signed your petition...:bh:

hulk-moving.gif

69.gif

Last edited:
You cannot be serious. I'm just trying to get rid of the people that won't let others actually discuss Donald Glover and Spider-man.

You know, all the people saying the exact same things like, "White MLK next? Black Batman?" or "This thread is still going?" Barely anyone is actually talking about the subject.

Kinda how people are just saying "Lets have Glover for Spider-Man" without even giving any real reason for it?

I mean why should he be Spider-Man? Because some obscure website wanted him and because of some stupid twitter account?

Lets look at the facts

He's black
He's too old
He's not that good of an actor
He probably can't carry a big blockbuster
People won't accept it
Things in the Spider-Man mythos would have to change
Spider-Man is too great of an ICON to get a drastic change

Now I'd like to hear your reasons why he should be Spider-Man.

Kinda how people are just saying "Lets have Glover for Spider-Man" without even giving any real reason for it? I mean why should he be Spider-Man? Because some obscure website wanted him and because of some stupid twitter account?
Lets look at the facts

He's black
that's the only fact you presented, the rest are opinions.
Now I'd like to hear your reasons why he should be Spider-Man.
because i think he'd turn in a more entertaining performance than any of the other candidates listed.

That's your opinion. Now list some facts.

Besides, his opinions on why he shouldn't outweight by far reasons people think he should.

Reasons Glover should play Spidey

"he MIGHT give a good performace because he's funny...and stuff..."

Not because he's a proven actor with a list of movies under his belt showing off his ability to act and carry a movie.

Reasons Glover shouldn't Spidey

"he doesn't look like Peter Parker at all"
"he's way too old for a high school Peter Parker"
"he isn't a good actor"
"he has never done an action movie before"
"he seems kind of racists when you watch his standup"

I am so amazed how quickly people are willing to jump on a bandwagon. A little over a month ago you didn't even know who Glover was. Now all of the sudden he must be cast. What about Glover makes you think he'd turn in a more entertaining performace than all the other actors listed? Is it because he's a comedian? Because he sucks. He's terrible. There's a reason none of us have heard of him until he demanded to be able to audition for a part he is way under qualified to even talk about.

Last edited:
And AGAIN! That's right, AGAIN! What is it about Glover that makes him a good Peter? Is it the fact he looks nothing like him? Or is it the fact he's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too old? Or is it the fact he is just the right amount of racists in his own standup to be Peter? Or is it that he is an "F" list actor and isn't very good? Oh I see. He's a standup comic and Peter is funny as Spider-Man. He's perfect!
Er...

Did anyone say "I HOPE YOU DIE!" Have I not taught you anything about a straw man arguement?
Yes. You just showed me a great example of it. Thank you.

I swear people are sheep. They jump right on the nearest band wagon. Even more so when it's dressed up like a NAACP anti-racists campaign.
They jump on the nearest band wagon? Like hating on Donald Glover because he wants to try and be Peter Parker?

Kinda how people are just saying "Lets have Glover for Spider-Man" without even giving any real reason for it?
Except you know.... watching him act and then thinking he could play a good Parker. Exactly like how every other white guy gets suggested.

Lets look at the facts

Yeah.... 'facts'.

I love how you conviently ignored the rest of my post that was chock full of good points.

Last edited:
I am so amazed how quickly people are willing to jump on a bandwagon. A little over a month ago you didn't even know who Glover was.
Except people who watched him on Community for almost a year. :dry:

Now all of the sudden he must be cast. What about Glover makes you think he'd turn in a more entertaining performace than all the other actors listed? Is it because he's a comedian? Because he sucks. He's terrible. There's a reason none of us have heard of him until he demanded to be able to audition for a part he is way under qualified to even talk about.
Except people who watched him on Community for almost a year. :dry: :dry:

I notice something in your posts now.... you complain about strawmans, to then go on a strawman bender. Then you complain about bandwagoning, to then jump on 'the hate this Donald Glover guy' wagon.

How the reasons against him far outweight the reasons for him.

Except people who watched him on Community for almost a year. :dry:

Except people who watched him on Community for almost a year. :dry: :dry:

I notice something in your posts now.... you complain about strawmans, to then go on a strawman bender. Then you complain about bandwagoning, to then jump on 'the hate this Donald Glover guy' wagon.
So I take it you've been watching him on the Community for almost a year. And that still doesn't change the fact he hasn't been in a movie. He's unproven. He's an F list actor at the age of 27 for a reason.

And that wasn't a "straw man" arguement because that's all you people have. "He seems funny and he seems like he can act." That's all you have. I'll give you it was a embellished version of your reason. But that isn't a "straw man" arguement. You actually said people told you that they hope you die. Obviously no one said that. That was a "straw man" arguement. For a guy with a chip on his shoulder and an apparent superiority complex you're kind of ignorant.

Last edited:
You actually said people told you that they hope you die.
Did I say that people were personally telling me that? Or was I merely trying to embody the vitriol that people on this board have when it was suggested that Glover play Spidey? (It was the second one if you get stuck)

How the reasons against him far outweight the reasons for him.
those reasons are your opinon, as is the weight you give to each. personally i think that the potential for an entertaining performance he could give outweigh anything you've presented as a negative. as gil said, i've been watching comunity from the get go so i've got more than a month's worth of recognition for the guy. why is it so hard for you to accept that some of us think this is a good idea? no is saying you have to like it but there is no reason to flame anyone who does

So is Adam Sandler. He should be Spider-Man. Oh, how about Jim Carrey? He might be too old but that doesn't seem to matter. I got it! We should get Gabriel Iglesias! He's funny as heck, and an added bonus is he isn't white. Score!

I think what's making this frustrating is that the people against letting him audition are already so convinced of their position that they refuse to actually listen and constantly call people stupid for disagreeing with them. They're also claiming their opinions as facts.

Here are the facts of the situation, on both sides:
-Peter Parker has been drawn as white since his inception
-the character of Peter Parker has nothing to do with his race; he is the everyman
-Sony has been aware of the #donald4spiderman campaign since at least day one, meaning that they are not likely to give Glover an audition at this point
-giving Glover an audition has been endorsed by Stan Lee and Brian M. Bendis

That's about all we have in terms of concrete facts. As far as opinions, here are mine:
-Donald Glover is very talented, as I've seen since I became aware of Derrickcomedy in 2006
-he can play the personality of the character very well and looks like a black Peter Parker anyway
-any concerns about his acting would be overcome if he did an audition and beat out actors who are more proven and look more like the role, especially given that he'd be working with a director whose focus is on the performances
-audiences are smart enough to get what's going on and will get over their issues with it if the movie is made well enough
-his age is a bit of a concern, but he can play younger characters. Still, he'd be more perfect for the role if they were going with college instead of high school

So is Adam Sandler. He should be Spider-Man. Oh, how about Jim Carrey? He might be too old but that doesn't seem to matter. I got it! We should get Gabriel Iglesias! He's funny as heck, and an added bonus is he isn't white. Score!

Weren't you just getting on someone's case about straw men?

Also, I don't think you seem to get that nobody wants Donald Glover to be able to audition just because he's black. It's because he could play the character well, but happens to be black, so why not give him a shot?

People.....Gilpesh is just trolling the thread trying to start an argument....please ignore him.
Will do. Shame though, I remember him being one of the more intellectual posters.

I mean why should he be Spider-Man? Because some obscure website wanted him and because of some stupid twitter account?

Lets look at the facts

He's black
He's too old
People won't accept it
Things in the Spider-Man mythos would have to change
Spider-Man is too great of an ICON to get a drastic change
I am so amazed how quickly people are willing to jump on a bandwagon. A little over a month ago you didn't even know who Glover was. Now all of the sudden he must be cast. What about Glover makes you think he'd turn in a more entertaining performace than all the other actors listed? Is it because he's a comedian? Because he sucks. He's terrible. There's a reason none of us have heard of him until he demanded to be able to audition for a part he is way under qualified to even talk about.
Thank you.
I love how you conviently ignored the rest of my post that was chock full of good points.
A lot of the Pro-Glover side has been ignoring many posts in the thread.
Also, I don't think you seem to get that nobody wants Donald Glover to be able to audition just because he's black. It's because he could play the character well, but happens to be black, so why not give him a shot?
Show me where anybody here has said no to him auditioning.

that's the only fact you presented, the rest are opinions.

No they're not I posted facts

He's too old - The studio is looking for a highschooler, Glover's 27, to quote Yoda, "He's too old"

- He really isn't. Looking at imdb, he lost the role of Barack Obama to Fred Arminson, that's how much of a sucky actor he is, he lost a role of a black guy to a white actor. :doh:

He probably can't carry a big blockbuster - It's true, he's never had a huge blockbuster.

People won't accept it - again, this is fact

Things in the Spider-Man mythos would have to change - Yes they will, like Aunt May, Uncle Ben and others

Spider-Man is too great of an ICON to get a drastic change - This is not even debatable.

because i think he'd turn in a more entertaining performance than any of the other candidates listed.

That's it? Really? lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back