Don't copy Marvel. Up the scale. Make a CRISIS or KINGDOM COME movie!

luca_frontino

Civilian
Reaction score
Justice League would look just like a carbon copy of Avengers. WB should start work on a bigger premise: hundreds of superheroes in the same picture.
My suggestion is to start with Crisis on Infinite Earths (retitled into CRISIS, so to have CRISIS 2, CRISIS 3, etc.).
Also this way we could have both Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill as Superman.

Another choice is a Kingdom Come movie adaptation, paving the way for prequels based on the characters the audience will respond more positively to (like, maybe, Captain Marvel).

Crisis (either Infinite or Final) and Kingdom Come films would be far too early.

What do you mean? That audiences should learn the origins of all DC characters before that? That's ridiculous. I started reading DC with a crossover and enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was a story featuring dozens of super-heroes together, more than The Avengers. Certain characters can't support their own movie alone and a crossover is the best way to lit them up.

Throwing hundreds of superheroes onscreen won't make it a good movie.

What do you mean? That audiences should learn the origins of all DC characters before that? That's ridiculous. I started reading DC with a crossover and enjoyed the hell out of it, because it was a story featuring dozens of super-heroes together, more than The Avengers. Certain characters can't support their own movie alone and a crossover is the best way to lit them up.

Dude, the general audience wouldn't know what the hell is going on. And they're not going to do any pre-readings of the source material.

World's Finest is the better route and would be just as big or even bigger than The Avengers.

A plot where the separate DC universes intertwine would be cool.

But I doubt it'll happen or would even work.

It would probably suck....

...and I would be there at midnight to see it just in case. :)

Kingdom Come would probably work. It's a self contained story, and is self explanatory. It makes good use of a narrator, so most of what the audience would need to know can be revealed. It's scope is massive, but I think it's dismissive to say that wouldn't work. It's a brilliant story.

Well, Nolan doesn't want the characters to be in the same universe. But if you have each hero's separate universe collide, even for one movie, it would be an immense thing...probably :p

I'm all up for a Kingdom Come adaptation but it has to be built up. It's more of a finale type of film,

Kingdom Come (DC crossover movie)

Superman - Henry Cavill
(His technical immortality leaves a little wiggle room on the age I feel)
henry-cavill-man-of-steel-superman-suit-large.jpg

Batman/Bruce Wayne - Ed Harris
appaloosa.jpg

Diana/Wonder Woman - Kate Beckinsale
kate-beckinsale-van-helsing-2_2.jpeg

Joker death scene cameo - Jack Nicholson
jack-nicholson-7.jpg

Lex Luthor - Gene Hackman
hackman3.jpg

Riddler - Matthew Frewer
matt-frewer-3.jpg

Magog - Stephen Lang

Catwoman - Helen Mirren
Helen-Mirren.jpg

Green Lantern (Alan Scott) - Michael Douglas
MV5BMTQ3NzMzOTQ3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE0MzY1Mw@@._V1._SY314_CR12,0,214,314_.jpg

Billy Batson (Adult) and Shazam/Captain Marvel - Tom Welling
Tom-Welling-tom-welling-1313876-723-566.jpg

Red Robin (Dick Grayson) - Jim Caviezel
jim-caviezel-black-suit.jpg

The Specter - Brad Pitt
brad-pitt-2.jpg

Norman McCay - James Cromwell
james-cromwell-afi-fest-2011-premiere-of_3600666.jpg

Flash - Probably Doug Jones and cgi. I don't believe he has any lines
abe_sapien.jpg

Green Arrow - Sean Connery
images

Last edited:
yeah lets start a franchise with a story thats deals with years of continuity and wipes it all out at the end or a story that's a complete what if that relies on people knowing every ones intricate back story

marvels idea and pattern works and is the best way to introduce minor or lesser known characters

I'd prefer a JLA film first,I don't see how some would think it'd be an Avengers rip-off when the characters&story would different enough and besides..Even casuals know that just cause Avengers came to theaters first it don't mean their the only one in it's type of form in the comics!!

Different tone/vibe&look would be enough difference to check it out!

Optimus, you realize that Jack Nicholson weighs about the same as an adolescent sperm whale, right?

An old Joker is one thing. A fat one? No thanks.

JL ain't happening for probably a decade. IMHO.

WB is not in competition with Marvel. They are in competition with Sony and Fox and Disney.

The Hobbit is likley to be their next HP.

And WB has bought up a ton of book rights over the past few years. Potential franchises that, given history, are likley to be more profitable than DC stuff. That is where I think WB will focus now. Popular book/novel properties.

WB could ditch DC and it basically would not hurt their bottom line. WB does not need DC. Fans don't get that but it is the reality.

If anything I suspect WB will do fewer DC "stuff" over the next decade.

Last edited:
I don't see The Hobbit as the next Harry Potter. It's only going to be two films, as opposed to the eight that Potter had.

Last edited:
The closest WB is going to come to a "new" Harry Potter is actually doing something with their options for Terry Brooks' Shannara series.

And, yes, they are in competition with Marvel. Especially since Marvel is now a Disney subsidiary.

The closest WB is going to come to a "new" Harry Potter is actually doing something with their options for Terry Brooks' Shannara series.

And, yes, they are in competition with Marvel. Especially since Marvel is now a Disney subsidiary.

WB has bought up a number ofbook rights recently and Shannara is among the most promising.

Marvel gets 100% of it's reveue from comic book films. WB gets way less than 10%. WB is not in competition with Marvel. Two totally different models.

DC films have generally not worked for WB. All it has now are hopes in a rebooted Batman series.

Other than that I would not be surprised to see WB do even fewer DC films than they have in recent years.

Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Haha!

This thread is hilarious, ridiculous and sad at the same time.

Kingdom Come (DC crossover movie)

Superman - Henry Cavill
(His technical immortality leaves a little wiggle room on the age I feel)

He did age.

Superman_(Kingdom_Come)_13.jpg

And that's a really fail cast, but the concept of doing "Kingdom Come" now is a bad one anyway.

We haven't even introduced 90% of these characters to general audiences and they're expected to care about a film that shows them already established towards the end of their careers?

It wouldn't be able to compete with Avengers which already used story elements from "Kingdom Come" while introducing audiences to the characters, building, and setting up future sequels and future franchises within that universe.

He did age.

Superman_(Kingdom_Come)_13.jpg

And that's a really fail cast, but the concept of doing "Kingdom Come" now is a bad one anyway.

We haven't even introduced 90% of these characters to general audiences and they're expected to care about a film that shows them already established towards the end of their careers?

It wouldn't be able to compete with Avengers which already used story elements from "Kingdom Come" while introducing audiences to the characters, building, and setting up future sequels and future franchises within that universe.

Exactly!

The team-ship has sailed and Marvel owns it.

Anything JL will look like an attempt to copy Marvel.

TA had the perfect storm - first team superhero film, buildup of solo films, beloved characters and to boot Marvel is seen as "it" when it comes to superhero films.

TA is on the road to 1.3 - 1.4 plus billion WW.

WB isn't going to try IMO to compete on the team film level. The odds are it would be a disaster and especially a rushed JL fim in the next 2, 3 or 4 years.

Plus TA2 could be bigger than TA given patterns.

Eventually WB will do JL but only after the TA "madness" has passed. That will be years - IMO JL is a decade away at best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"