Doom Eternal

I don't worship Quake's levels. But game design was compensated by advanced movement and physics. Tricks really enriched gameplay.

Doom 64 - one of many conversions of Doom. There's nothing special about it. Only aura of exclusivity, because it was locked on N64 for decades.

Doom 64 is largely tonally different than it's direct predecessors. Less midi metal madness and more medieval horror. It actually does what Doom 3 tried to do better than Doom 3. Quake's movement and physics may have been revolutionary in 1996, but it doesn't make up for the poo poo brown level design and uninspired weapon selection. To me, Level design is King when it comes to viewing Boomer shooters through a contemporary lens and I personally feel Doom 64 has aged far better than Quake. Quake doesn't even get interesting until about halfway through the third episode.

Doom 64 is largely tonally different than it's direct predecessors. Less midi metal madness and more medieval horror. It actually does what Doom 3 tried to do better than Doom 3. Quake's movement and physics may have been revolutionary in 1996, but it doesn't make up for the poo poo brown level design and uninspired weapon selection. To me, Level design is King when it comes to viewing Boomer shooters through a contemporary lens and I personally feel Doom 64 has aged far better than Quake. Quake doesn't even get interesting until about halfway through the third episode.
You're talking about poo-poo palette of of Quake, when it's exactly how Doom 64 looks. Like it lifted aesthetic and art direction from Quake. Instead of techno environments everything is brown, dull and dirty. With a hint of Gothic.

You're talking about poo-poo palette of of Quake, when it's exactly how Doom 64 looks. Like it lifted aesthetic and art direction from Quake. Instead of techno environments everything is brown, dull and dirty. With a hint of Gothic.
It's actually not. Doom 64 uses reds, blues, greens and shadows far better than the original Quake. There's actual color in Doom 64. This is coming from someone who's completed playthroughs of these games within the last two months. Quake doesn't really hold up. It was a technical marvel for it's time, but it's not a particularly good single player game. I was surprised at how well Doom 64 holds up with proper mouse and keyboard with Doom 64 EX.

Last edited:
My copy was delayed. So that sucks, but Soul Calibur 6 is keeping me plenty busy.

Frankly right now buying digital is not only the more convenient thing, but probably the more responsible and safer thing to do.

I'm about to start this.

Frankly right now buying digital is not only the more convenient thing, but probably the more responsible and safer thing to do.

I'm about to start this.
I'm a PC gamer and I cannot remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game (other than console exclusives). My PC does not even have a disc drive.

I'm a PC gamer and I cannot remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game (other than console exclusives). My PC does not even have a disc drive.

I only buy physical copies when they are significantly cheaper than the digital version. Physical copies just feel so damn inconvenient.

This was everything I wanted and more thus far. They definitely nailed the "Evil Dead on an Avengers budget" tone they were going for.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much. I am addicted!

I was pretty surprised when mine came without a drive too. I am ready to go fully digital. I just need cheaper prices for older games and I’d buy everything eventually. We have 1GB internet here now although I am locked in for another year to my current contract. Once I get that full digital will be that much more convenient.

I only buy physical copies when they are significantly cheaper than the digital version. Physical copies just feel so damn inconvenient.
You say that but when your internet is slow or worse, down, the hard drive the game was on fails or they no longer offer it for download, what do you do?

You say that but when your internet is slow or worse, down, the hard drive the game was on fails or they no longer offer it for download, what do you do?

I usually keep about 10 - 20 games installed at all times just in case the internet goes down, but I've been meaning to buy a 4TB HDD so I can keep all my games backed up.

do you have to play the prior Doom game to understand the story? does it give any kind of recap?

Depending on the game, not all the necessary data is on the disc to begin with. I have yet to run into a title on steam that has been pulled from sale that I could not redownload. Even after their pulled, if you can find a key for it, it will still activate and you can download it. In the current digital market, across all major platforms, the only thing I haven't been able to redownload is PT. That's one title in the literal 1000 games I own digitally.

do you have to play the prior Doom game to understand the story? does it give any kind of recap?
This one jumps right into the action. No setup or explanation or recap. That being said, it's the sort of game that is enjoyable regardless of whether you played the last. And the game has an extensive codex with info about the worlds, factions, characters etc. The codex entries are found throughout the game. Plus the Doomslayer has very little characterization beyond "brutally kill Hellspawn" so it's not as if you missed any serious character development if you didnt play the last game.

While that might be true for now it is not always going to be true. At least with a physical copy you can play it if they don't force you to redownload information. The older games that aren't so tied into the internet are why I still keep physical media. If a game requires redownloading the data but it is no longer avaliable from an official source, there are unofficial ones to get it.

This one jumps right into the action. No setup or explanation or recap. That being said, it's the sort of game that is enjoyable regardless of whether you played the last. And the game has an extensive codex with info about the worlds, factions, characters etc. The codex entries are found throughout the game. Plus the Doomslayer has very little characterization beyond "brutally kill Hellspawn" so it's not as if you missed any serious character development if you didnt play the last game.
ok, thanks.

so, you're telling me there are no slice-of-life/dating simulators for Doomslayer in this game? :o :oldrazz:

While that might be true for now it is not always going to be true. At least with a physical copy you can play it if they don't force you to redownload information. The older games that aren't so tied into the internet are why I still keep physical media. If a game requires redownloading the data but it is no longer avaliable from an official source, there are unofficial ones to get it.
There would have to be a massive Doomsday event for that to happen. The combined efforts of Valve, CDPROJEKT, Epic, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have essentially put GameStop out of business at this point. It's not a question of if they close their doors, it's a question of when. These digital market places aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The physical market is drying up. The only reason console manufacturers even have disks anymore is retailers won't carry their hardware without games to sell with it.

Back to Doom Eternal, as much as I love this game as an FPS, I don't think it's getting enough love as a platformer. I honestly expected to hate the expansions they've made to the platforming segments, but everything works and works well.

Last edited:
You say that but my copy of Tetris is going away in a month, completely unplayable and gone forever once the license expires. That is not going to be the last time a game you "own" will disappear when a license expires or the app is no longer supported or any number of other future realities.

But for now I will have Doom Eternal and all the previous editions in hardcopy so I won't worry about that. I just see this as a sad end to an era where you actually owned something you bought.

You say that but my copy of Tetris is going away in a month, completely unplayable and gone forever once the license expires. That is not going to be the last time a game you "own" will disappear when a license expires or the app is no longer supported or any number of other future realities.

But for now I will have Doom Eternal and all the previous editions in hardcopy so I won't worry about that. I just see this as a sad end to an era where you actually owned something you bought.
That's EA and mobile gaming in general for you. There's a reason I didn't include Origin, Google and Apple. Despite the casual market, they're not viable core gaming platforms and they frankly never will be. What I love about phasing away of physical media is I can take my entire libraries from Steam, GOG, Epic and Xbox and put them on any PC I want with almost no effort without proprietary hardware. The only thing I have to keep in mind are the limitations of the machine. I typically play 2D and lower end games on my laptop on the go and beefy powerhouses like Doom Eternal on my main desktop.

Last edited:
Battle Mode is cool but I already miss 2016's multiplayer. I know they didn't have much passion for it but the death match is actually one of my favorite online multiplayer modes. Especially free for all!

It's like a rated r halo! I have Doom 64, 2016 and Eternal installed so I guess it doesn't really matter when I go back to that nose anytime..if there's players still playing

Almost finished with the main campaign then it's secret hunting and Master levels

I'm probably just half way. Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and it is tough for me but I still love it and can't get enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"