Doug Hutchison Is Rorshach! I Shall Not Compromise In This.

ConcreteBlock15

Civilian
Reaction score
Long time lurker, er... sixth time poster... and lifelong WATCHMEN fan (well, since '86 when it first hit the stands!)

As such, I'm torn over the merits of the latest movie proposal ramping up over at Warner Bros. under Zack 'DotD / 300' Snyder - how can this sublime work possibly be successfully translated to the screen in all of it's multi-faceted complexity, yadda yadda yadda? Hurm.

Such doubts aside, if the movie IS gonna happen, then I want the best for it... which is the reason I'm here. I know that what I'm about to lay on ya has been suggested round these here parts before in the existing WATCHMEN casting threads, but never before in its own stand-alone thread, in order to bring it to the attention of the masses and to enlist the active assistance of your good selves.

My proposal is simply this:

Hey, Warner Bros. -

He's the right age, right height (5' 06), has got the right look (unconventional, not typically Hollywood pretty boy), and jeez... can he DO intense and creepy! :

Cast DOUG HUTCHISON as RORSCHACH in your WATCHMEN movie!

With a varied body of work behind him, on stage and screen (he's more than proved his acting chops), the guy who gave us The X Files's fearfully flexible flesh-eater Eugene Tooms, and The Green Mile's slimily sadistic guard Percy (smooshes Mr Jingles, remember? SONOFA*****!) is THE ideal choice to portray everybody's favourite personality disordered, finger snappin' vigilante loon Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach.

Need convincin'? Check him out in these shots; it's the comic come to life!:

DOUGFACE2.jpg

NO! MY FACE! GIVE IT BACK!

DOUGSCACH.jpg

C'MON WALTER... DO IT FOR ME , HUH?

Doug.jpg

YOU KEEP CALLING ME WALTER. I DON'T LIKE YOU.

DOIT.jpg

WELL? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO IT. DO IT!

So convinced am I of this, I've commenced a proactive campaign of support for Mr H in this fanboytastic role (generally, I've been pestering anybody and everybody I can think of that has a part to play in bringing WATCHMEN to the screen!) I've been on to The Man himself via his own official site, and have received this response in my inbox:

Dear *********

Thank you (and others) for your enthusiasm regarding Doug's involvement as Rorschach in THE WATCHMEN movie (o:

Presently, Doug is reading the script and his agents are investigating. The project is still in its infancy as there doesn't seem to be a Casting Director attached, yet, nor casting sessions available. In the meantime, if you and other fans would like to start a DOUG HUTCHISON AS RORSCHACH campaign of sorts and deluge Zach Snyder and Prods at WB with e-mails and such, I'm confident it couldn't hurt Doug's chances to snag the role. If we could get a Worldwide fan base amped up about the idea, believe me: The Powers to Be at WB will listen!

Sincerely,

MC (Doug Hutchison's Personal Assistant)

Well - seems that Doug's interested enough to want to check out the existing script and get his agents on the case! I sincerely believe that he is THE right man for the job, such is his proven ability as represented by his body of work, coupled with his perfect physical characteristics to play the part of Walter Kovacs/Rorschach. This will be the defining role of his career, such is the controversial complexity of the character, Rorschach being simply one of the best studies in sociopathy and most affecting commentaries on the human condition ever to see print in any medium, comics or otherwise.

Rather than being just another wish list casting suggestion, seems there's a chance (albeit in it's infancy) that this one might go on to become a reality - it helps when the object of the support has shown an interest in the project himself!

So, whaddaya say folks? Wanna join the cause and see if, just this once, the fans can make their voice heard and make a difference...?

If so, then I would ask that you join me in doing what Doug's own PA suggests, and start deluging the film makers at Warner Bros. with our support for Mr H in this role. I've invaded just about every comics/movie board going with this in order to whip up word of mouth, and am in the process of getting hold of some influential email addies, so that some strategic messages can be delivered right to the very heart of the WATCHMEN movie making/casting/producing/directing process - watch this space for details!

I Leave It Entirely In Your Hands...

I sincerely thank you for having given up your time to read this post.
NEVER COMPROMISE.

He's definitely one of the better choices and has appeared on many of the cast lists fans do for the movie. I specially like how his face has boyish features much like the character. And, of course, how intense he can be.

Damn... he really DOES look like he stepped right out of the comic book. If they're casting this on looks, then this dude is spot-on. And he was really good in The Green Mile.

This just fresh outta my Inbox, part of an email somewhat relevant to the discussion at hand :

Thanks for the email.

As for Doug Hutchison, I have to agree that he looks perfect! I'm
pleased that his people are already talking to Warners , which is the
correct approach.

Best

-- Dave

Well, if Doug's good enough for a certain Mr Gibbons...
His qualifications to have an opinion on the subject are beyond question.
Nuff said.

Hmm... I admit that Lee Evans would be my ideal choice for Rorschach, but hey, if Dave ****in' Gibbons says this guy is perfect, who the hell am I to argue?

Hutchison for Rorschach!!

Jeffery Combs is still my top choice but this guy is definately good casting.

Admittedly I've never read Watchmen, but I was always under the impression that Rorschach wore a full-face mask & didn't talk.

Just to keep you up to speed with the latest rumblings from Doug's people in sunny LA, thanks to some transatlantic correspondence:

I'm sure we'll be getting hold of the WATCHMEN graphic novel as, hopefully, things move closer to a meeting with Doug and Snyder. As you've observed by his performance as Percy in THE GREEN MILE, Doug is probably one of the most "method" actors in Hollywood I've known and places utmost importance on prolific research. To prepare for his audition for Darabont for THE GREEN MILE, he read Stephen King's novel (then: a six-part series) back-to-back to absorb as many Percy-details as possible ... and that was before getting the part ...

As for the voice thing...

...basically, I told 'em the reasons why Rorschach has developed his... unique vocal style (social alienation, isolation from his fellow man, desensitisation, the intimidatory effect it has on lowlife scum, etc. etc.,... you know the drill.) By way of example, I sent 'em clips of Jeffrey Combs's V.O. work as The Question on the animated JLU show, and told them to combine this with the dulcet tones of Tom Waits in order to get on the right track! I've read on Hutchison's online Green Mile Diary memoirs that he kept his then co-stars highly amused and enthralled on set with his uncannily accurate Michael Clarke Duncan vocal impersonations!

The word from LA-LA Land on Doug's tonsillary talents:

As for Rorschach's voice, I have NO DOUBT Doug can create something Tom Waits-gravelly and as sinister as the character demands. The reason he -- despite his 5' 6'' frame -- can imitate Michael Clarke Duncan so brilliantly is because Doug was always a "Bass 2" in high school. He can reach deeper tones than Hades, sometimes.

I'll keep y'all posted...

He sure looks like him.

But he is not familiar to me.

We'll see how this turns out.

"He sure looks like him.

But he is not familiar to me.
"

PERFECT!

This sums up what this is all about...

Doug Hutchison is a fine actor, proven ability, LOOKS like the character, has done his fair share of big budget studio movies, won't break the bank to hire as part of an ensemble cast in a film that's bound to have a high production cost attached... and isn't SO huge a star that he'll give the game away too early in that the insignificant hobo carrying The End Is Nigh sign in the background is meant for bigger 'n' better things.

This way, we get to keep the big reveal when the NYPD pull that mask from Rorschach's head...
NO! NO NO NO NO NO! NO! MY FACE! GIVE IT BACK!

Sweet.

I think the when Rorschach is revealed it will be less surprising than the book. THe book featured many minor characters just walking into the background frequently many of which might be cut from the movie (at least screen time wise)

Whilst I agree that the movie is far less likely to concentrate on the individual stories of the subsidiary characters (in the probable absence of the Black Freighter pirate comic-within-a-comic, even the newsvendor and the kid reading the comic won't be anywhere near as developed and as fully realised in their own right as they are in print, let alone the cab driver, the watch hawker, and the two cops investigating The Comedian's death.)

However, the bulk of the WATCHMEN story takes place in downtown Manhattan - I'd hope that this being the case, there would be plenty of scope for the sets to be populated with plentiful extras, and that the familiar secondary characters of the comic are at least still included in among this as a respectful nod to fans of the original. Walter J. and his placard of doom can then be fully integrated into these scenes in a manner that will hopefully still lend itself to a decent pay-off later on when Rorschach's mask comes off.

Chris Wallace said:
Admittedly I've never read Watchmen, but I was always under the impression that Rorschach wore a full-face mask & didn't talk.
Gahhhhh! Go read it now!

I only read it about a year ago but I've only been reading comics for a few years.

ampersand said:
I only read it about a year ago but I've only been reading comics for a few years.

I read it in january. I sped through it. Fascinating read (I have to say it's wiser to read one issue every day -- absorb it)

Anyway, I'm warming up to this relatively-unknown-actor-choiche.

Carmine Falcone said:
I read it in january. I sped through it. Fascinating read (I have to say it's wiser to read one issue every day -- absorb it)
That's exactly what I did. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"