Dr. Strange Mini-series this fall

I still think Hudlin played a major race card to make that happen. We're lucky Hudlin didn't want Luke Cage to divorce "that white girl" and marry Misty Knight, because Joe Q would've bent over and let that happen as well.

I don't even like race card accusations, but Hudlin's position as VP of BET is the only reason I can think of that would make Joe Q allow that out-of-the-blue marriage to happen.

110strange2.jpg

STRANGE #2 (of 4)
Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by EMMA RIOS
Cover by TOMM COKER
Who is Stephen Strange? Months ago, in a chance encounter, he saved a woman's life--and since then, she's devoted every waking moment to tracking him down and learning his secrets! But her investigations are taking her down a very dangerous road of magic and mysticism--and straight towards one of Strange's oldest foes!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Kind of disappointed to see that this is going to be more of a Strange-as-seen-by-POV-character series. I was hoping we'd get another straight-up Strange adventure. But it's Mark Waid, so I suppose it could still be great.

2jcup0.jpg

Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by EMMA RIOS
Cover by TOMM COKER
Stephen Strange and his new apprentice travel not to the Ruins of Raggador or the Dread Dimension of Dormammu...but to a small Southern town conducting a bizarre ritual of its own, one that threatens the life of every young girl in the state! Plus: more on the secrets that Stephen himself is hiding from his student!

"Little Miss Infernal Realms"? I don't think it'll be on the Pet Avengers level or anything, but it seems like it'll have more of a comedic tinge than Dr. Strange is usually associated with (outside of the Defenders).

Preview of Strange issue #1 @Cup' of Joe
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23441

1256331740.jpg

1256331742.jpg

1256331819.jpg

1256331821.jpg

1256331829.jpg

Kiel Phegley: Stephen Sanders moved the topic along to another character who has been known to pop in and out of the Avengers over the years, especially recently, when he asked, "After his mini-series, will Dr. Strange be involved in New Avengers or the next event in 2010?"

Joe Quesada: Hey, there, Stephen Sanders, Strange shows up for a little bit in "New Avengers" #59-60, alongside a roster of other guest stars, including Misty Knight, Daredevil and Doctor Voodoo. So yes, we'll continue to see Strange in concert with the Avengers when applicable. As a matter of fact, there's one storyline that we discussed at the Avengers summit that would virtually require his involvement.

The art definitely looks better in color. Not a big fan of Dr. Strange looking like such a dirty slob, but otherwise it looks fun as long as you're not expecting another Dr. Strange: The Oath. This looks very much like its own whimsical, low-key look at post-Sorcerer Supreme Strange, as opposed to The Oath's perfect encapsulation of all that was Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts.

The art's been growing on me. I'm looking forward to this.

Mark Waid Gets "Strange"

10fwcoj.jpg

When readers first meet Stephen Strange in issue #1 of "Strange," how is he adjusting to life now that he's no longer the Sorcerer Supreme?
Better than you'd think, actually. We establish that, while he's only been gone for a few months "our" time, he's sort of been on a mystical "walkabout" that's lasted a lot longer and has given him ample time to reflect on where he went wrong. So, when we first see him, he appears to be rather enjoying his newfound lack of responsibility. But as always with Stephen, you're not getting the whole picture.

How would you describe Strange's role in the Marvel Universe at this point? Has it changed much?
Tremendously. For the first time in his career, he can leave the heavy lifting to someone else (new Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Voodoo) and enjoy life and all its little pleasures that he's not had time to partake of in recent years. But he's still a teacher - and whether he likes it or not, he'll be drawn back into that role.

What can you tell me about the plot and themes of "Strange?" Is this a mini-series with one over arching story that flows from one issue to the next? Or is it more of a series of interconnected stand alone stories that combine to explore the characters' relationships?
A little of all of that. The first two issues are standalone adventures, but the third spills over into the climax of issue four as things get way, way out of hand. Still, the most important part of every issue is the character interaction. We can't afford to waste the opportunity to enjoy seeing Stephen Strange as a relaxed, ordinary guy (with one new, very strong, very dark secret that's percolating inside him and will eventually be revealed at a most inopportune time).

What kinds of obstacles and adversaries are you interested in throwing at Stephen and Casey? In your mind what type of foes make the best foils for Doctor Strange?
Clever ones; ones who require Doc to use his brains more than his mystical might - particularly since he doesn't have much magic mojo left. In a sense, he's been reduced to doing the Sorcerer Supreme equivalent of performing card tricks, and it's wearing on his ego - but it also makes him far more vulnerable than he's ever been before, because after all these years of creating mystic enemies, he suddenly has no real magic with which to defend himself. He'd better hope he can teach enough to Casey to keep them both alive.

Last edited:
I'll say it again. When I first heard Brother Voodoo was becoming the New SS, my first highly cynical thought was,

"Major title taken away from its rightful holder for no reason + Given to unknown hero who happens to be black = This must be Reggie Hudlin's new project."

The Dark Reign era has only added to my sense of cynicism, you see.

DR. STRANGE, AWESOME CHARACTER!!! I'm old school, first thing that popped into my measly brain was of my collection of 1971 MARVEL THIRD EYE BLACKLIGHT POSTER ART. I believe to be the best posters ever made for DR. STRANGE the format fit his character to a tee. Here's aome photo's of some of the greeting cards in my collection for your enjoyment. I have the complete set of all 24 of the greeting cards. To see my collection, check it out at my FLICKR page. Click the link to view my collection.

//http://www.flickr.com/photos/44385839@N08/

4081762164_5735b45a00_m.jpg
4081763952_4a60f47c8f_m.jpg
4076183266_b0109ce332_m.jpg
4076180704_8b5bdc96cf_m.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday Q&A: Mark Waid

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10249.Tuesday_Q&A~colon~_Mark_Waid

Marvel.com: Considering Doctor Strange's current position, how did you go about formulating the direction you wanted to take the character?Mark Waid: I sat down with editor Tom Brevoort and we talked about it and I realized with his magic taken away there are two ways you can go. You can go the traditional, but predictable, way of having him be angsty and upset and enraged and wallowing in misery about his loss, which, we could have done, but it felt like very familiar territory. But the way we elected to go, was taking him sort of on a walkabout, if you will. He's only been gone from our point of view for a few months Earth time, but thanks to what magic he had left, he was able to take a walkabout that took him a bit longer than that outside of the space-time continuum. Now that he's back, he's a little more well adjusted and for the first time in his adult career and adult life, he's enjoying relaxing. He's never been able to relax before. He was a surgeon before [becoming Sorcerer Supreme]. He was studying all the time. He was working all the time. As Doctor Strange he had to be hyper vigilant all the time. Now, for the first time ever, when stuff happens, he doesn't have to be the guy who jumps into the fray. So, he's enjoying this sabbatical and we're seeing Doc enjoy the little pieces of magic that are a part of everyone's life.

Marvel.com: You mention how you could have taken the story in an angsty direction, and interestingly, his origin is extremely so. Like you said, he was a great surgeon, but lost that and became the Sorcerer Supreme to get over his depression and misery.
Mark Waid: Yeah. That's true. He's spent all those years since meeting the Ancient One learning all this magic and rededicating his life to this goal and it was taken all away from him. What has he learned? Has anything really come out of it? He seems really smiley and good-humored and relaxed when we first meet him, but he's got his demons as a consequence of what happened and that will be explored in full as we go.

Marvel.com: How do you see the character of Doctor Strange?
Mark Waid: Here is a character, Stephen Strange, who must love learning. He must love being dedicated to something because, remember, this is a guy who reached the top of his field not once but twice in his life in two different careers. He is a student. He is an academic. He is a polymath. He is very much into learning. That's what I see as his chief characteristic. What that does for us dramatically is that, like I said, we've put him in a position where he spent all his life learning and he doesn't seem to have something to show for it for the first time ever because it seems to have all been taken away from him. So, is he really relaxed into this or is he masking a much greater anxiety and much greater terror in him?

Marvel.com: You mentioned that he has a lot of demons to face, probably both metaphorically and literally. Can you talk a little about that and the main conflict of the limited series?
Mark Waid: A little bit. One of the problems he has is that over the years as Doctor Strange, he has clearly made a lot of enemies. A lot of very powerful enemies. He has tried the best he can since the powers have been taken away to keep that [information secret]. He doesn't really want it broadcast around the magic ether that Stephen Strange is powerless now because that just puts a target on his head. Unfortunately, some of that word has leaked out. While it isn't necessarily common knowledge, every new foe he comes up against in this series, he has to stand there defiantly and gesture and hope he can bluff them into believing he is the Doctor Strange of old. Unfortunately, some of them are well aware.
Marvel.com: It almost sounds like a workplace situation. Demons come up to each other and are like, "Did you hear about Stephen? I heard he got let go yesterday."
Mark Waid: Exactly. All these demons and magical entities are trading mental e-mails going, "Dude, did you hear?"

Marvel.com: Now, you're a big technology buff, but here you are working with magic. What's that like?
Mark Waid: It is hard, but the thing that makes it easy to wrap my head around is that at least magic has its rules. It has its regulations in terms of what it costs to make things happen and what the consequences of your actions are. So, there is some structure and that makes it easier to wrap my head around.

Marvel.com: The series also sees Doctor Strange taking on a student of his own. What can you say about her and their dynamic?
Mark Waid: It's a new girl that Stephen has stumbled across named Casey Kinmont, who it turns out is a bit of an adept. They don't necessarily even like each other. Then have a very contentious relationship. She's a very spoiled, very headstrong young girl who thinks nothing of arguing with Doctor Strange. Without giving too much away, Doc makes a mistake in the first issue and that mistake ends up inadvertently binding him to Casey for the rest of the series.

The art looks exceptional, especially in color. I'm not a fan of Strange dressing like a schlub, but then again he's been demoted from his magical position and it makes sense for him to slacken a little in response. Still, I always saw him as above street level even when he wasn't on a quest.

There is, though, an argument I have heard at other websites about B and C list franchises like DOCTOR STRANGE, as well as NAMOR and NEW WARRIORS that seem to struggle to be relaunched time and again, and flop, and lead Marvel to believe there is no audience for them. The argument is when these B and C list franchises are relaunched in the form of a new mini or whatnot, they are usually NOT relaunched in a premise that plays to the strengths of them or what played well before; there is an attempt to insert some form of "twist" to "spice it up" and whatnot.

NEW WARRIORS is a good example. The first volume of it in the 90's ran for 75 issues; as long as X-MAN basically. Some argue that they happened to catch onto the early 90's fad and rode it long past it's prime, and that is true. Still, not even CABLE & DEADPOOL lasted beyond issue 50 in the modern age. When it ended in 1997 or so, what happened? Did the next relaunches offer what New Warriors fans expected or wanted or loved? No. The relaunch in 1999 got rid of most of the cast and placed the remaining few in universally lambasted costumes (especially Nova) as well as struggled to find a regular artist at launch (back in the 90's, it was considered rare for a new artist to draw every other issue or so for a while). Then the "reality TV" series once again removed a majority of the NW characters in favor of some new ones and had a premise that had so little to do with the NW that one could rightly argue why it wasn't presented as a new franchise with new characters. Finally, after CIVIL WAR seemed to successfully create some "intangible buzz" about the NW's, what is launched for 20 issues? A series that isn't really about them, but about the brother of their founder leading around some spare depowered X-Men. You could argue AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE is more of a NW book than that. Now, I didn't hate it as much as some people, but it was a flawed book and probably turned off many readers with the "twist".

Think of how many times you would love to just see a B or C list franchise relaunched as they were to utilize the strengths you loved, only instead there is some twist that ruins it. "NAMOR is back...but this time leading an orphaned puppy on Mars!" or whatnot. And in this way you could argue that Waid's STRANGE is at risk of that. After all, all the bleating about Strange being awkward to write, or too powerful, goes out the window after something like THE OATH where Vaughan manages to juggle it all brilliantly. There are no poor characters, just poor launches, poor premises, and poor execution, as well as endless editorial excuses for mediocrity.

That said...it is Mark Waid, the art is good and I have read some Dr. Strange material before. So...I will give this a try this week.

ou13lj.jpg

STRANGE #4 (of 4)
Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by EMMA RIOS
Cover by TOMM COKER
In order to save a handful of lives, the powerless Stephen Strange has made a decision that will doom far more--and he has no way to undo it. The price Strange and his new apprentice will pay to set things right is incalculable--and will leave Stephen Strange forever changed!

Has anyone read Strange #1 yet?

I was pretty disappointed with it, I was expecting something more. I don't mind something lighter but that was just too much with the light and reading the rest of those solicits, I think I'll just pass on the rest of this before I'm completely disappointed.

I read STRANGE #1. It was...a bit "meh" for me. The art was a little unexpected and it seemed very mundane and high school ish for Dr. Strange. It seemed as if Mark Waid was trying to make him a poor man's John Constantine, and that isn't something I wanted to see. I also didn't care for him needing to stumble on some rather generic teenage heroine to fight demons for him. It wasn't bad, mind you, and had some moments. The art and color work had some charm. But I wasn't impressed. Had it not been Mark Waid, I may not have even tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"