Dr. Strange: The Oath

SpideyInATree

Chillin' Like a Villain
Reaction score
Anybody else really enjoy this so far? :huh:

Definitely has peaked my interest and a pretty emotional story right off the bat. I really love the artwork and the further use of the Night Nurse that we've seen a few times throughout some of the Marvel books. The opening scene with Arana and Iron Fist was pretty humorous to bring us to the quite serious tone of the book.

If you're a Dr. Strange fan I highly suggest picking this up if you already haven't. And if you're not a Dr. Strange fan, like myself, you should pick it up because it's a nice jumping on issue.

Another book my store didnt have.

That seriously sucks. I feel your pain as my store still hasn't gotten Pride of Baghdad and I read on the MySpace page of POB that the first printing is about to sell out...thankfully, I ordered a copy from Midtown and should have that bad boy by next week.

SpideyInATree said:
That seriously sucks. I feel your pain as my store still hasn't gotten Pride of Baghdad and I read on the MySpace page of POB that the first printing is about to sell out...thankfully, I ordered a copy from Midtown and should have that bad boy by next week.

Yeah, my store sucks, though I got to take a gander at it at a friends house, read it halfway through, and must say, another hit by Vaughan and I didnt even finish reading the issue.

Loved it!

I would DEFINITELY support it as an ongoing series, provided the creative team stayed onboard.

I loved it,I haven't read alot of Dr.Strange but this has me right into his character.Alot better then what Danny way did with him in Ghostrider.I also hope Iron fist stays around,the first scene with him and ayana was great.

DOCTOR STRANGE: THE OATH #1 rocked. Here is what I said in the B/T thread:

DR. STRANGE: THE OATH #1: After announcing his leaving of RUNAWAYS in 2007, BKV starts this mini series about Dr. Strange, a character who remains a Marvel mainstay due to frequent appearences (much like Namor), but who hasn't sold a book in ages and even in mini's is often used for comic relief. Here Vaughan wants to write him serious, but not so seriously that it's all brooding, emotastic angst, which unfortunately most of the industry sees as "mature". Turns out Dr. Strange winds up on a slab for Night Nurse after being shot by a "mystically enhanced" revolver that a burglar had, while explaining his plight in astral form. After an obligatory recap of his origin for newbs, we get to the point. Wong is apparently terminally ill with a brain tumor, and Dr. Strange went into another realm to get an elixir that he learned not only can save Wong, but actually cure cancer. Unfortunately, someone else is interested in DESTROYING this elixir, and hired a thug named Brigand to steal it. Is it Baron Mordo, for the upteenth time? Why not? Besides Dormammu, who else does Dr. Strange have for a rogue's gallery? Martin's art is good and Vaughan writes a compelling first issue. Dr. Strange has a goal to fulfill and demonstrated to the reader that not even a Sorceror Supreme is invincible and is still human. And Vaughan & Martin aren't so afraid of "camp" that they only use dark colors or want to turn Strange's cape into a generic trenchcoat (even Romita Jr. is guilty of that one). A compelling first issue and I'll be on board for more. Looks to be another hit for Vaughan, hopefully it'll sell well. His last title that actually sold well was ULTIMATE X-MEN, but that's a major franchise book that'd sell well if it was written by a turnip (like most X-books). For folks who want a little Marvel magic in their lives, pick it up.

I picked it up today and put it back down. I'm dumb, I'll def pick it up next week :(

Dread said:
DOCTOR STRANGE: THE OATH #1 rocked. Here is what I said in the B/T thread:

DR. STRANGE: THE OATH #1: After announcing his leaving of RUNAWAYS in 2007, BKV starts this mini series about Dr. Strange, a character who remains a Marvel mainstay due to frequent appearences (much like Namor), but who hasn't sold a book in ages and even in mini's is often used for comic relief. Here Vaughan wants to write him serious, but not so seriously that it's all brooding, emotastic angst, which unfortunately most of the industry sees as "mature". Turns out Dr. Strange winds up on a slab for Night Nurse after being shot by a "mystically enhanced" revolver that a burglar had, while explaining his plight in astral form. After an obligatory recap of his origin for newbs, we get to the point. Wong is apparently terminally ill with a brain tumor, and Dr. Strange went into another realm to get an elixir that he learned not only can save Wong, but actually cure cancer. Unfortunately, someone else is interested in DESTROYING this elixir, and hired a thug named Brigand to steal it. Is it Baron Mordo, for the upteenth time? Why not? Besides Dormammu, who else does Dr. Strange have for a rogue's gallery? Martin's art is good and Vaughan writes a compelling first issue. Dr. Strange has a goal to fulfill and demonstrated to the reader that not even a Sorceror Supreme is invincible and is still human. And Vaughan & Martin aren't so afraid of "camp" that they only use dark colors or want to turn Strange's cape into a generic trenchcoat (even Romita Jr. is guilty of that one). A compelling first issue and I'll be on board for more. Looks to be another hit for Vaughan, hopefully it'll sell well. His last title that actually sold well was ULTIMATE X-MEN, but that's a major franchise book that'd sell well if it was written by a turnip (like most X-books). For folks who want a little Marvel magic in their lives, pick it up.

I don't think it's Mordo. The shadoy fellow's goal seemed to be getting the cancer cure, not trying to kill Strange. Obviously, he doesn't want a cure for cancer to get out on the market. Maybe it's something as simply as the ownder of a pharmisutical company that makes medications to help deal with cancer who doesn't want a good chunk of his buisness to go belly up.

Also, I rather like Strange's cape being drawn as a coat. That's how Ditcko origionally drew him, interestingly enough.

I like that they cloak was a live. really sweat.

anyway, I also loved that the Oath from the title isn't some oath to an immortal or something: It's the Hippocratic Oath, probably the first oath he ever took.

The Question said:
I don't think it's Mordo. The shadoy fellow's goal seemed to be getting the cancer cure, not trying to kill Strange. Obviously, he doesn't want a cure for cancer to get out on the market. Maybe it's something as simply as the ownder of a pharmisutical company that makes medications to help deal with cancer who doesn't want a good chunk of his buisness to go belly up.

Also, I rather like Strange's cape being drawn as a coat. That's how Ditcko origionally drew him, interestingly enough.
I don't think it is anymore either; in the B/T thread, someone mentioned that BKV said the villian was "new" in this in an interview that I hadn't read.

Like I said in the B/T thread, it was excellent.

I really disliked how they changed his origin in the last Strange mini. Initially Stephen Strange was a pompous ass surgeon who put his work before a funeral for a family member, and mutilated his hands drinking and driving. Becoming Dr. Strange was all about redemption.
The Stange mini changed all this in favor of a "chosen one" swayed by the forces of good and evil. His best friend was an evil demon, there was some angellic broad or something, etc.. Dr. Strange became more about a preordained mission.
It may sound nitpicky but it really changed the dynamics of the character. I guess the crux of it all is that becoming sorcerer supreme was a more interesting vocation when it was about rectifying ones past mistakes, and absolution. These issues were adressed well in his last regular series.
Whatever, I'll probably check this one out eventually.

MiracloFiend said:
I really disliked how they changed his origin in the last Strange mini. Initially Stephen Strange was a pompous ass surgeon who put his work before a funeral for a family member, and mutilated his hands drinking and driving. Becoming Dr. Strange was all about redemption.
The Stange mini changed all this in favor of a "chosen one" swayed by the forces of good and evil. His best friend was an evil demon, there was some angellic broad or something, etc.. Dr. Strange became more about a preordained mission.
It may sound nitpicky but it really changed the dynamics of the character. I guess the crux of it all is that becoming sorcerer supreme was a more interesting vocation when it was about rectifying ones past mistakes, and absolution. These issues were adressed well in his last regular series.
Whatever, I'll probably check this one out eventually.
The STRANGE mini was, IMO, a hackneyed attempt to capitlize on JMS' namepower while telling him to "go nuts" and attempt to "revive" his origin by, apparently, completely ripping off THE MATRIX and throwing in a little DIABLO II while he was at it. I'm glad it didn't take as it was pure drek. THE OATH looks to be better in every single way.

BKV's not out to reinvent the wheel because he doesn't feel it needs reinventing, just a good polishing, which is a healthy mindset to have. He's not afraid of some of the otherworldly aspects of Dr. Strange nor does he want to suck out all sense of humor, like STRANGE did, to turn it into a dark, leather filled emo-tasim. He's just doing Dr. Strange by the book and at his roots; ex-surgen, humanist, Sorceror Supreme, and devoted friend to Wong. Truth be told this would be a great approach to a new ongoing, so hopefully the sales will, for once for a Marvel mini that isn't about heroes acting immature, the X-Men, or Spidey, sell well enough for it to actually become an ongoing.

And before someone mentions how DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON, a mini, became HEROES FOR HIRE, I note that that shift had everything to do with chugging out another CW title, and nothing to do with the sales for DOTD, which were horrid.

Dread said:
The STRANGE mini was, IMO, a hackneyed attempt to capitlize on JMS' namepower while telling him to "go nuts" and attempt to "revive" his origin by, apparently, completely ripping off THE MATRIX and throwing in a little DIABLO II while he was at it. I'm glad it didn't take as it was pure drek. THE OATH looks to be better in every single way.

How was it a rip off of The Matrix? :huh:

The Question said:

I can see it. There was a goofy training montage and the angel/ demon fight scenes could be seen as Matrix- esque.

The Question said:
The Ancient One was obviously Morpheus, Clea obviously Trinity (even starting out with the same "follow the white rabbit" club scene), and a lot of the dialogue just gave me deje vu from that movie. JMS mentioned "Dr. Strange is like Neo" a few times in interviews but he all but copied with STRANGE, I thought. And yes, the training montage, I am sure I could get more specific if I reread it, but why punish my brain so?

Of course, considering that BABYLON 5 pretty much ripped something off of nearly every sci-fi show known to man, from Star Wars to Star Trek to even some X-Men thrown in, one may not be surprised. But people liked Babylon 5, so it's overlooked.

SpideyInATree said:
The artwork isn't too bad either.
If by "isn't too bad" you mean "****ing incredible." I read it more for Martin than Vaughan and I was not disappointed. After seeing his Strange, there's no one I can think of who'd suit Dr. Strange better. Fantastic work from Martin. Vaughan's story was also great, of course. :up:

Dread said:
The Ancient One was obviously Morpheus, Clea obviously Trinity (even starting out with the same "follow the white rabbit" club scene), and a lot of the dialogue just gave me deje vu from that movie. JMS mentioned "Dr. Strange is like Neo" a few times in interviews but he all but copied with STRANGE, I thought. And yes, the training montage, I am sure I could get more specific if I reread it, but why punish my brain so?

I really don't see the Ancient One/Morpheus arguement. I mean, they both fill the mold of the wise old master who can still kick ass. Hardly a new concept. But I guess I'd give you the Clea/Trinity thing. There was a major resemblance there. But still, I wouldn't call it a complete rip-off of The matrix from that.

I quit reading it after the second issue, I believe. Dread made me glad I did after it was finished.

I rather liked it. I mean, as long as you take it as an out of continuity tale, which it was.

When was it official that it was cannon? None of the versions of the characters as presented in the Strange mini have been used in the MU since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"