• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Droid messaging question

Ugfugly

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm an IT guy and quite familiar with technologies but I have not ever purchased a cel phone. The only one I use is the Motorola boulder my work gave me for on call.

Anyways, I bought my wife a Droid since she's a home nurse and wants a way to communicate with me on her down times. The sales person we purchased it from says that using AIM uses text messaging charges and was trying to get me to set up an unlimited text service.

I don't quite understand it since we have unlimited data and the AIM will be using that connection, not Verizon's texting service.

Does anyone have a Droid that can verify if AIM is charged as a text message or a data service?

Thanks in advance

it counts as a text, the only messaging service that does not count as a "text" but rather data, is Blackberry Messenger. If you plan on adding texting, consider how much she would be using. You might not necessarily need unlimited.

$5/month=250 text messages
$10/month=unlimited verizon to verizon text messages and 500 outside verizon
$20/month=unlimited verizon to verizon text messages and 5000 outside verizon

If someone on AIM sends your phone a text, you're charged for the text.

If you're using the AIM application which you can download for free on the Droid Market, it counts as data.

I will warn you, using AIM will help drain your battery life faster. I recommend your wife bring her charger with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"