Dune

I was blown away by Part 1 and watched it like 5 times.
Part 2 was so meh. It was slow at parts and rushed since Paul appeared in the South.
It wasn’t bad, but I don’t feel the urge to watch it a second time soon.
It definitely needed more worldbuilding. I liked the scenes, where they showed more of House of Harkonnen and Corrino. I hope Sisterhood will show more of the world and lore
It's called Prophecy now...
Don't know how accurate this account is.

I thought Kaitain was a huge missed opportunity, we didn't see anything really for it being the capital, just some interior shots that were underwhelming.

Last edited:
World-wide BO is now over $400M. But the international numbers haven't been updated. Once those are in, I suspect the current total will surpass Part 1.

Makes sense. It opened in a quite a few more new countries this week, including Australia and Japan. It's doing great!

Ah, and with that $100M marketing budget revealed, I can do some more accurate MATH. Using averages for studio cuts:

60% domestic week 1: $66,616,600
55% domestic week 2: $35,854,637
50% domestic week 3+: $14,550,000
22.5% China: $4,427,040
40% other International: $107,889,705

Total estimated profit so far: $229,337,982

$190M production budget has been fully recouped and needs about $60M for the marketing budget / P&A. This means that, yes, this movie is going to be making money in theaters. Plus, make extra money with digital, video, streaming, merch deals, etc.

Spice, flowing, and all that.

The above breakdown is fairly consistent across all movies. P&A being lower than the production budget is pretty good. For tentpole summer movies, it can be as much as the entire production budget. It's how you get movies with a $250M production budget that somehow need a billion to break even.

Movie math is insane.

Last edited:
Ah, and with that $100M marketing budget revealed, I can do some more accurate MATH. Using averages for studio cuts:

50% domestic week 3+: $14,550,000
22.5% China: $4,427,040
40% other International: $107,889,705

Total estimated profit so far: $229,337,982

$190M production budget has been fully recouped and needs about $60M for the marketing budget / P&A. This means that, yes, this movie is going to be making money in theaters. Plus, make extra money with digital, video, streaming, merch deals, etc.

Spice, flowing, and all that.

The above breakdown is fairly consistent across all movies. P&A being lower than the production budget is pretty good. For tentpole summer movies, it can be as much as the entire production budget. It's how you get movies with a $250M production budget that somehow need a billion to break even.

Movie math is insane.
Is it just 60% for the opening weekend domestically? I thought they were giving the distributor like a 65-80% in the first week or something.

Is it just 60% for the opening weekend domestically? I thought they were giving the distributor like a 65-80% in the first week or something.
While 60% is the average, studios like Disney have in the past enforced higher percentages. It's why I ended up getting another 10-15 minute round of advertisements after the break in the middle of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (true story). Theaters weren't getting enough of the pie and it really pissed them off.

Which is why most studios now hew closer to that 60/40 split. I believe Wonka also had about a 60% week 1 cut for WB, which I why I grabbed that same number here. Could be that it's slightly higher, but these are always estimates of course.

Next time anyone is at Jaleo in DC please let us know if Jose has added Melange grilled Sandworm Steak to the menu. :funny:

i bet sandworm tastes really gamey like goat or donkey meat.
but probably tough to chew like crocodile meat.

Nah not mine, I don't usually make gifs from cams.
Haha, you mean from an official trailer, right?

tumblr_inline_o0cjavEbDw1s8tmiz_250.gif

Finally saw this. Great film that feels like it's a league above the competition. Can't say how much I appreciate a big swing like this. High level production all round. Love to see it.

... and all that said... The second film kind of cemented them as great films that I like, but don't love. I can't picture the sandworm sequences being done any better, they're utterly spectacular. That is Villeneuve playing to his stengths and it just sings. I'm not a fan of all his choices though. This whole thing should be much weirder. Giedi Prime in its infared glory was stunning, but it was also when I realised there was no colour in the film to contrast against. In some ways I feel like the films have an aesthetic moreso than the places/cultures do.

I want extended editions. Hearing about all this deleted material hurts my heart because I know we are never seeing it. Villeneuve needs to break his rules for this one series. This is a LotR situation where fans will want as much detail as possible.

Just release the deleted scenes. We don't need an "extended cut" if Villenueve is happy with the films as released.

That just doesn't matter in the case of Dune, IMO. Part One is half of a movie. It is now a totally and utterly irrelevant issue with both parts existing.
I'd say it's still highly relevant. I don't view them as one movie.

Yeah, another great hold! It managed to stay above KFP4 despite fewer theaters and being released a week earlier. GB: Frozen Empire performed on par with Afterlife, but slightly lower adjusted for inflation. Updated below for Dune Part Two:

50% domestic week 3+: $28,570,313
22.5% China: $8,119,769
40% other International: $121,964,854

Total estimated profit so far: $261,126,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members