Dune

I didn’t love Part 1 when I rewatched it yesterday. Like my first watch, I thought there was too much exposition and not enough charm or personality. A hot take I know but it’s just how I felt. I did however really enjoy the mythology that was introduced and I hoped Part 2 would expand on it.

Dune Part 2 is far better and in my opinion it’s the moment in which it becomes better than Star Wars. The world building really opens up and shines. The first hour is exactly what I hoped we would see following Part 1, which is essentially a hang out movie with the Fremen as we experience their culture along with Paul. We learn more about the Harkonens, and the machinations of the Bene Gesseret witches. We learn dark secrets of the Atreides family. We see the dangers of religious fanaticism and the messianic complex. We see thrilling action sequences with pulse pounding music. This movie is awesome and I am so ready for Dune Part 3.

7/10 for Part 1
9/10 for Part 2

Honestly, couldn't have imaged this after the $30,925,690 box office of the Lynch movie, but the movies have now collectively crossed the billion dollar mark.

Yeah, another great hold! It managed to stay above KFP4 despite fewer theaters and being released a week earlier. GB: Frozen Empire performed on par with Afterlife, but slightly lower adjusted for inflation. Updated below for Dune Part Two:

60% domestic week 1: $66,616,600
55% domestic week 2: $35,854,637
50% domestic week 3+: $28,570,313
22.5% China: $8,119,769
40% other International: $121,964,854

Total estimated profit so far: $261,126,173
funny, now that you mention it: Ghostbusters Afterlife and Dune Part 1 were also released in the same month.

I love that she's fully committed to the toothpick bit, that not only did it make it into interviews... but it's also on covers of magazines.

QUEEN.

Six weeks from theatrical to digital release is more or less the norm these days save for the rare exception like Top Gun Maverick or Oppenheimer. Barbie hit digital in a similar timeframe so I expected the same for Dune Part Two.

Six weeks from theatrical to digital release is more or less the norm these days save for the rare exception like Top Gun Maverick or Oppenheimer. Barbie hit digital in a similar timeframe so I expected the same for Dune Part Two.
The 45-day window isn't necessarily surprising, but we're not even 4 weeks in. Hold that messaging. :downcast:

The 45-day window isn't necessarily surprising, but we're not even 4 weeks in. Hold that messaging. :downcast:
It's not a surprising move from WB. Other studios have made exceptions on digital release to appease directors or producer/stars (Paramount for Cruise with Top Gun, Universal for Nolan with Oppenheimer, 20th/Disney for Cameron with Avatar 2) but WB seems to have stuck to that pattern. It's also worth noting that Dune has pretty much lost its premium format screens if not already then definitely after this week with Godzilla x Kong. With more competition, it makes sense that there'll be more of a focus on the home release but as it is I don't even think it matters. All parties seem to be more than happy with how Part Two has performed that a Part Three/Messiah is practically guaranteed.

That’s about 3 more weekends until a digital release. It should’ve made most of its money by that point and hopefully can push 700M worldwide.

Regardless Dune is a billion dollar franchise now and is filling in the huge Sci-fi gap left by Star Wars being MIA for nearly 5 years.

It's not a surprising move from WB. Other studios have made exceptions on digital release to appease directors or producer/stars (Paramount for Cruise with Top Gun, Universal for Nolan with Oppenheimer, 20th/Disney for Cameron with Avatar 2) but WB seems to have stuck to that pattern. It's also worth noting that Dune has pretty much lost its premium format screens if not already then definitely after this week with Godzilla x Kong. With more competition, it makes sense that there'll be more of a focus on the home release but as it is I don't even think it matters. All parties seem to be more than happy with how Part Two has performed that a Part Three/Messiah is practically guaranteed.
Yeah, that's fair. Profit breakdowns look good and I'm not worried about the third movie. Just think this one might've had a little bit more in the tank even without premium screens. Internationally select theaters have already started booking a new round of Dune: Part Two Imax for in a few weeks. That'll be a waste with it being on digital though.

Either way, the results of the movie do speak for itself. Hope it does well on digital also.

37% drop for an $11.1 Domestic weekend. Also added $18.4M overseas. Both without premium screens. Also ahead of Kung Fu Panda 4 again.

Shhh don’t tell anyone

In my mind Dune has surpassed Star Wars. Sorry Jedi and Sith fans.
Yep. Don't think any of the SW movies are really in the same ball park as Part Two. A New Hope and Empire for Part One maybe, but certainly not Part Two and certainly not the two movies as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"