Dune

So I bought the book, but wont read it till I finish LOTR.

So, the chances I finish it before the movie come out are slender.

As with anything of this nature I'd take it with a grain a salt.
You'll have to go through the thread because questions are answered individually.
My biggest take aways from it were...
The Emperor and Feyd are mentioned not shown.
Irulan is nowhere to be found as are the Fenrings.
Kynes has been gender swapped.
It ends after Jessica takes the Water of Life.

This is all stuff that's been speculated for awhile with the castings so nothing really spoilery.

Some definite red flags in those spoilers.

I think this would be a hard sell to the mainstream.
Kind of like John Carter.

I love Dune, it's my favorite book of all time. I'm still not convinced that American audiences will be into these concepts.

Dune is high science fiction. It's not popcorn fare. It also gets very trippy and psychological.

I think this would be a hard sell to the mainstream.
Everyone thinks that. But it's a hard sell until it's not. Nobody believed Joker can make a billion. We will see. Maybe it will have stellar trailers. Maybe people will go on Villeneuve... Or maybe it simply comes out in the right place in the right time because stars aligned.

I can only speak for myself: I'll be there day ****ing 1. It's my number 1 most anticipated movie of 2020.

I think their choice of director won't help either. I see it performing like Blade Runner 2049. But I'd be watching it.

And speaking of Joker, I didn't think expect to hit $1 billion but I at least expected it to perform like Venom., over $700 million worldwide. There's always going to be an interest/big audience to the most well known villain of a popular superhero.

Maybe it will fill the void between lackluster Star Wars movies and the next season of Midiclorian. Dune is quality space opera. Based on the script, they prepared some action in the first half of the book. Like
Giedi Prime raid.

Everyone thinks that. But it's a hard sell until it's not. Nobody believed Joker can make a billion. We will see. Maybe it will have stellar trailers. Maybe people will go on Villeneuve... Or maybe it simply comes out in the right place in the right time because stars aligned.

I can only speak for myself: I'll be there day ****ing 1. It's my number 1 most anticipated movie of 2020.

Yeah, I know nothing about Dune. Never read it or seen any adaptations but the director and cast have me 100% interested.

EPbEsSUU0AEG15q

official font/titles for the film from the warner bros panel in france earlier today.

Cool, cool, cool. So did they not shoot the two movies back to back? I thought the idea was they were going to do that. Did they and I just missed it?

They didn't shoot them back to back, but the second movie is being written right now and could film in 2021. Assuming this first movie doesn't bomb and lose them millions.
Carried over the image to this page, so people don't miss it.
EPbEsSUU0AEG15q

They didn't shoot them back to back, but the second movie is being written right now and could film in 2021. Assuming this first movie doesn't bomb and lose them millions.
Carried over the image to this page, so people don't miss it.
EPbEsSUU0AEG15q
hmmmmmffppppffffp

Kind of like John Carter.

I love Dune, it's my favorite book of all time. I'm still not convinced that American audiences will be into these concepts.

Dune is high science fiction. It's not popcorn fare. It also gets very trippy and psychological.

Yeah, but the John Carter movie SUCKED. Taylor Kitsch had the charisma of box of paperclips; the tone was all over the place, shifting from goofy and light-hearted to super serious; the villains were generic and one-note; and the special effects weren't up to the level that they needed to be (amazing considering the money they sunk into it). I would say that the only person who came out of that movie looking good was Lynn Collins, but she pretty much dropped off the map after that so I guess Andrew Stanton screwed her too. I do think the Carter stories could make for a compelling film or TV series, but not the way Disney and Stanton handled it. I remember there was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama there that attributed to the mess that was the final film, but they pretty much guaranteed that it would be bad when they shackled themselves to Kitsch. Maybe that film wouldn't have been so lousy if they had cast the lead role well, I don't know. Carter isn't the most complex hero in literature by any means but he was a lot more compelling in the books than whatever Kitsch and Stanton were trying to do with him.

Anyway, while adapting Dune into a thrilling spectacle of a movie may be a bigger challenge, I think it has a chance to perform much better. I feel like most people are familiar with the property, even if they haven't read the books. The title alone will draw audiences in more than "John Carter," which is such a generic name that if you wouldn't have any idea that it was a fantasy/sci-fi epic if you weren't familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs.

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if Dune flops.

Denis Villeneuve doesn't really make mainstream movies. They are very muted, non bombastic, low on obvious humor, and very cerebral. All of which goes against popular sensibilities.
And it's "high sci-fi" on top of all that.

The movie will be great though. I don't doubt that for a moment
Anyway, while adapting Dune into a thrilling spectacle of a movie may be a bigger challenge, I think it has a chance to perform much better. I feel like most people are familiar with the property, even if they haven't read the books. The title alone will draw audiences in more than "John Carter," which is such a generic name that if you wouldn't have any idea that it was a fantasy/sci-fi epic if you weren't familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I think you are grossly mistaken with that

I think you are grossly mistaken with that

Really? I feel like most people know about it. They might not know the specifics (Paul Atreides isn't a household name like Luke Skywalker) but I feel like most people have heard of it and know a bit about the basic concept. Maybe I'm wrong though. But it's definitely more known than John Carter.

What do you define as "most people"
I don't think if you go down the street and ask 100 people do they know what the property "DUNE" is that they'd know the answer. And if they do, they don't know enough to be interested in what ever happens with the property

For example, prior to the 2011 movie I'd say "most people" knew who Green Lantern was. Prior to the 2008 movie "most people" knew who Iron Man was

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"