Dune

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Hunter Rider, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I didn’t like him in Little Women. He seemed kind of miscast.

2. Marvolo Registered

If you want to understand Chalamet's potential as Paul in Dune go watch The King on Netflix.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  3. Marvolo Registered

This would be more appropriate for a full trailer. The first teaser will probably be reserved like the BR49 teaser.

OutOfBoose likes this.
  4. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

Fair point, but i at least wanna see Paul, Gurney, the Baron and at least one sandworm in the teaser trailer.

5. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

I think the new movie should separate itself from the Lynch version. Means it shouldn't homage or use music from that movie.

6. DarkKnight88 Registered

I’m sure that’s their big money shot for the teaser ending on a sandworm screaming towards camera.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  7. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

I'd prefer just a glimpse at the two opposing houses for a teaser. Group or individual shots of Atreides and Harkonnen. Dying to see the costumes, make up and interiors. And cinematography.

Or maybe it will be some exterior shot of the planet with a tease of Shai-hulud.

8. TheVileOne Registered

How did Blade Runner 2049 have terrible marketing? They gave it a huge push.

9. TheVileOne Registered

I mean Dune did the whole space opera thing before Star Wars did and made it cool for films.

Yes they are very different like night and day. But I think similarities are sort of the mythology and world building around them. Frank Herbert didn't just create a sci-fi story, he created a whole mythology, a whole history. Every concept every idea is sort of thought out and has an explanation.

10. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

It was, but in hindsight, you couldn't tell what it was even about. It was so vague. It just sold it on the Blade Runner name. And since it's a cult movie, that's not enough. I do think you could have gotten people interested in it more if we had just known what the hell the basic premise was.The trailer make it about some guy gets involved in some conspiracy... or something? How are people supposed to care if it's as vague as that?

Would it have guaranteed it to be a huge hit? No, it's a film that may have been overestimated and expensive for it's own good when it comes to success, but I do think it wouldn't have outright bombed the way it did. It could have been more of a Fury Road thing at best. Stellar? No, but the success to failure ratio would have been lessened.

11. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

That and they were REALLY banking on Harrison Ford coming back when he doesn't show up until the third act. The whole movie up until that point is about finding him, which the trailers didn't make clear.

12. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Yeah, I think they were trying to ape the whole legacy TFA thing. Deckard isn't quite as iconic as Han Solo.

It could have just been marketed as a replicant detective in a world of replicants trying to solve a mystery of a dead body or just come out and say a replicant is pregnant. That doesn't give anything away about the main story. It's the premise.

KaijuDude1992 and Schlosser85 like this.
  13. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

And then Ford showing up in the third act could have been a surprise reveal.

14. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

The thing they should have kept secret was K's story. That to me is the real story and mystery of the movie.

You can definitely market a movie with a robot detective solving a mystery about robots that can conceive. That's something interesting enough where people could be curious in the very least. At least they'll know what movie they would pay to see.

#1889 Doctor Jones, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  15. TheVileOne Registered

That was by design. WB and Denis Villeneuve didn't want us to talk about the story at all. I got the riot act after I saw the press screening not to talk about all the plot details in my review.

But even if they were more upfront about K being a replicant, I'm not sure that would've changed very much. Admittedly, the movie is very long.

And the movie never promised that Harrison Ford was going to have a huge role.

16. Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Exactly, and it was a mistake. I think our aversion to spoilers can go too far. Especially if we're robbed of a basic premise.

But yeah, I agree, it wasn't, but I can at least say that people could have been interested in the movie if they knew what it was about. It's a step above what we got. To me, you can't sell most movies if you don't know what they're about, and Blade Runner is not SW, where you can afford to be more vague.

17. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

18. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

This, end the first trailer with this shot, with something large in the background to show the scale of a sandworm, and people will be interested.

19. green fear is the mind killer

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 8.06.29 AM.png

In case you don't want to sing Happy Birthday while you wash...

20. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Not long now. Looking forward to big things.

21. OfficerK LAPD

I don't think the cinemacon stuff is released to the public though. We might get some articles and tweet reactions from people who saw it. Usually they'll have a cast member or two present and we might get an official poster (different from the leaked one with the stock image background). I'm remembering the BR2049 stuff at cinemacon 2017, all we got was some articles/journalism about what people saw, there was nothing for us to see.

22. Mysteryman Registered

I saw one of these set to the Voiceover introduction to Shatner's Trek Series

23. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

Considering the tight lid, even some articles or tweets will do at this point.

KaijuDude1992 and OfficerK like this.
  24. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Man I'd take anything at this point as well even if its just detailed descriptions just to keep my own hype going, especially since we aren't likely getting a trailer until WW84 in June.

25. OfficerK LAPD

Yeah they're playing it close to the chest with this movie. There is pretty much nothing to look at if you want to get a vibe for it. It's driving me nuts, all we got is some semi assembled ornithopters and a leaked poster with a stock image background. And now that all sorts of stuff is either being delayed or cancelled by coronavirus hysteria it worries me. I honestly see that getting worse, not better by fall 2020, so they might go light on the marketing in a wait and see approach in case they push the film into sometime 2021.