Emilio Estevez's 'Bobby' Wows Venice Critics

TrailerCues

Sidekick
Reaction score
For director Emilio Estevez, his new movie about the assassination of Robert Kennedy in 1968 is a call to young people to shake off their cynicism and engage in the political process.

His first feature film in 10 years, which impressed critics in Venice where it is one of 21 entries in the main competition, "Bobby" focuses on the lives of people working at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on the night Kennedy was shot there.

The ensemble cast includes Sharon Stone , Demi Moore, Anthony Hopkins and Lindsay Lohan , who offer a slice of American life during the political turmoil of the late 1960s.

Real news footage of Kennedy at rallies, mass protests against the war in Vietnam and grim images from the conflict are woven into the narrative, and audiences today are bound to draw parallels with the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, his spokeswoman, Lisa Kasteler, announced that the 44-year-old actor/director is engaged to Sonja Magdevski, a print reporter who also teaches creative writing. No wedding date has been set, Kasteler said.

Estevez was previously married to "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul. They divorced in 1994.

Estevez, making his comeback from the movie wilderness with a moving story, said "Bobby," which was written in 2000, was not an indictment of the U.S. administration. But he added:

"It has become frighteningly and very sadly relevant and it has become more and more relevant as time goes on," he told a news conference after the press preview and ahead of the film's official world premiere later on Tuesday.

More broadly, he viewed his film as a call to political arms for young people today.

"The nation changed that night," said Estevez, who recalled shaking hands with Robert Kennedy when he was a boy aged five.

"It was the third strike. It was the turning point. I believe we went into a free fall after that ... (Richard) Nixon was elected president ... and we became cynical and resigned and it was the death of decency, it was the death of hope.

"I think we have yet to recover from that. I think we are still grieving."

LOHAN BRINGS GLAMOUR

Lohan brought celebrity glitz to the festival, with paparazzi following her every move as she navigated the waterways of the exclusive Lido beach front. She is in Venice with her boyfriend Harry Morton.

Inevitably she was asked about the tabloid press' fascination for her and her private life, but she brushed aside the questions.

"I don't think being here is about what attention I get in the tabloids," she told reporters.

"That has nothing to do with it. This is about working with a great group of people who are very passionate. It's more about the material, what's there on the table," added a black-haired Lohan, who was wearing a green dress and jumbo shades.

For Estevez, who directed his father Martin Sheen in the film and appeared himself, "Bobby" was a welcome return to the world of movies.

"I feel like I've been in my basement working on my own little algorithms and out came this picture from this twisted brain," he said.

"I'm just so very proud to be coming back into the game and to be embraced by this festival and by the business in general. It's difficult not to weep when I think about it."

Lohan plays an idealistic woman who marries an old friend to save him from the Vietnam front, while Moore portrays an alcoholic singer bitterly aware of her advancing years.

Hopkins is the old hotel manager, while Moore's real-life husband Ashton Kutcher plays a hippie who encourages two of Kennedy's campaign workers to take LSD for the first time, with hilarious consequences.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/m...obby-wows-venice/20060905102809990001?cid=918

I wasn't aware he directed this.
Well good for him :up:

this is going to be a great movie. Also, I like the title, "Bobby". thats my name.

DAMN :eek:
Emilio Estevez wowing critics with a film at the Venice festival ??!!??

Who've thought the man behins such films as Loaded Weapon would make such a movie.
Great for him !

so the guy turns around, and tip his hat, just like this...

and who do you think that guy was?!

emilio estevez, the mighty duck man, swear to god.

and i was all like "EMILI-OOOOOOOO!"

TrailerCues said:
For director Emilio Estevez, his new movie about the assassination of Robert Kennedy in 1968 is a call to young people to shake off their cynicism and engage in the political process.

His first feature film in 10 years, which impressed critics in Venice where it is one of 21 entries in the main competition, "Bobby" focuses on the lives of people working at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on the night Kennedy was shot there.

The ensemble cast includes Sharon Stone , Demi Moore, Anthony Hopkins and Lindsay Lohan , who offer a slice of American life during the political turmoil of the late 1960s.

Real news footage of Kennedy at rallies, mass protests against the war in Vietnam and grim images from the conflict are woven into the narrative, and audiences today are bound to draw parallels with the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, his spokeswoman, Lisa Kasteler, announced that the 44-year-old actor/director is engaged to Sonja Magdevski, a print reporter who also teaches creative writing. No wedding date has been set, Kasteler said.

Estevez was previously married to "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul. They divorced in 1994.

Estevez, making his comeback from the movie wilderness with a moving story, said "Bobby," which was written in 2000, was not an indictment of the U.S. administration. But he added:

"It has become frighteningly and very sadly relevant and it has become more and more relevant as time goes on," he told a news conference after the press preview and ahead of the film's official world premiere later on Tuesday.

More broadly, he viewed his film as a call to political arms for young people today.

"The nation changed that night," said Estevez, who recalled shaking hands with Robert Kennedy when he was a boy aged five.

"It was the third strike. It was the turning point. I believe we went into a free fall after that ... (Richard) Nixon was elected president ... and we became cynical and resigned and it was the death of decency, it was the death of hope.

"I think we have yet to recover from that. I think we are still grieving."

LOHAN BRINGS GLAMOUR

Lohan brought celebrity glitz to the festival, with paparazzi following her every move as she navigated the waterways of the exclusive Lido beach front. She is in Venice with her boyfriend Harry Morton.

Inevitably she was asked about the tabloid press' fascination for her and her private life, but she brushed aside the questions.

"I don't think being here is about what attention I get in the tabloids," she told reporters.

"That has nothing to do with it. This is about working with a great group of people who are very passionate. It's more about the material, what's there on the table," added a black-haired Lohan, who was wearing a green dress and jumbo shades.

For Estevez, who directed his father Martin Sheen in the film and appeared himself, "Bobby" was a welcome return to the world of movies.

"I feel like I've been in my basement working on my own little algorithms and out came this picture from this twisted brain," he said.

"I'm just so very proud to be coming back into the game and to be embraced by this festival and by the business in general. It's difficult not to weep when I think about it."

Lohan plays an idealistic woman who marries an old friend to save him from the Vietnam front, while Moore portrays an alcoholic singer bitterly aware of her advancing years.

Hopkins is the old hotel manager, while Moore's real-life husband Ashton Kutcher plays a hippie who encourages two of Kennedy's campaign workers to take LSD for the first time, with hilarious consequences.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/articles/_a/emilio-estevezs-bobby-wows-venice/20060905102809990001?cid=918

Emilio Estevez is one of my all time favorite actors in Hollywood. I'm gonna go see Bobby, it looks good to me.

I was wondering what happened to this film.

im really looking forward to this film....RFK was the man.

Emilio is back! And it looks like he's back with good material. I was getting tired of Demi Moore and Anthony Michael Hall being the only two survivors of the Brat Pack. I am damned proud of him.

Also, I'm curious as to how well Ms. Lohan can perform when she's in a serious role. All she's done so far are dopey comedies.

Mr. Credible said:
so the guy turns around, and tip his hat, just like this...

and who do you think that guy was?!

emilio estevez, the mighty duck man, swear to god.

and i was all like "EMILI-OOOOOOOO!"

:woot:

This is a movie I've been looking forward too. Glad to hear about the good reviews!

Lindsay Lohan and Nick Cannon represent the exact opposite of what RFK represents. Estevez is a clear out-of-touch idiot just for the cast he assembled.

This would be like having cast Paris Hilton in "All the Kings Men".

BT18 said:
Lindsay Lohan and Nick Cannon represent the exact opposite of what RFK represents. Estevez is a clear out-of-touch idiot just for the cast he assembled.

This would be like having cast Paris Hilton in "All the Kings Men".

Wow.... Mr. Judgemental here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"