Emotionally Scarring Children's Movies of the '80s

That Skeksis Emperor death scene is still disturbing as all hell.

Any movie where
the family dog dies or
the mother animal dies

I have a friend who hasn't watched ET since 1982. She's still that upset over it.

The Gate

Saw that as a kid and lived with the belief it wasn't outside the realm of possibility for a few years . Not a kids film but I don't think my parents knew otherwise

The Neverending Story WAS upsetting as hell :csad: I remember the wolf really scared me, too.

Definately agreeing with plenty of those.

I also remember the opening scenes of 'once upon a forest' when the baby animals return home to find their parents have all been killed very distressing.

Oh and the bit in 101 dalmations were cruella goes bezerk while driving freaks me out!

Judge Doom melting that little cartoon shoe in his barrel full of "dip" in Who Framed Roger Rabbit was absolutely mortifying when I saw it in the theater. I was probably 4 or 5 years old at the time. When he goes completely wacky at the end of the movie too, that's some pretty crazy stuff. It gives me goosebumps now.

They don't don't make 'em like that anymore.

Regarding "E.T."...did anyone actually think he was really dead? I was three when I first saw it and even then I was like, "There's no way he's dead." That ending, though...:csad:

The Gate

Saw that as a kid and lived with the belief it wasn't outside the realm of possibility for a few years . Not a kids film but I don't think my parents knew otherwise

Funny to see someone mention this film, as I just watched it recently seeking out 80's "puppet fantasy." I'm actually trying to compile a list (and I'd love suggestions) of films that are similar with Harryhausen type stop motion animation and silly creature effects from the 80's. So far I've got Dark Crystal, Legend, Labyrinth, Troll, The Ewok movies made for television and a few others.

Regarding "E.T."...did anyone actually think he was really dead? I was three when I first saw it and even then I was like, "There's no way he's dead." That ending, though...:csad:

I seem to recall someone telling me that he came back to life before I saw the movie, but the scene was so sad I remember thinking there was no way he could come back to life after that.

I watched it a few years later with a kid I was babysitting, who'd never seen it before, and when he "died" she was so upset. I just told her to keep watching, something magical was going to happen, and when his heart lit up as Elliot was closing the box she literally jumped up and started clapping. It was so cute.

Not 80's bu for me, Alien Resurrection. As a die hard Alien fan since I was 5, my dad took me to see Resurrection when I was 7 i think. Or 6.

The Newborn scared the **** out of me. I never expected that.

I did not watch the movie in it's entirety until I was 12.

That ladybug in A Bug's Life still scares me

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Garbage Pail kids. Awful and terrifying as a kid.

The librarian ghost lady in the beginning of Ghostbusters, I was 8 when it came out and wasn't expecting such a freakish sight from a comedy.

The librarian ghost lady in the beginning of Ghostbusters, I was 8 when it came out and wasn't expecting such a freakish sight from a comedy.

My name wife let our 3 year old watch that, and the little girl thinks that scene is so funny. I was expecting her to get scared, but none. Laughs her little butt off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"