Enough with the cookie monster vocals!

I also forgot to include in my list of pictures...

arch_enemy.jpg

Angela Gossow, the ONLY chick I've heard doing Death Metal vocals

There are idiotic metal-heads who live by the mantra "If it's not metal, it's crap". I cannot live by that since I'd be missing out on some killer music, even if it doesn't have riffs that would make a paraplegic headbang.

While I like Death Metal, the pictures I posted are only of those death vocalists I respect. I may be a Morbid Angel and Nile fan, but those bands haven't done anything that affects vocals in a big way. Nile has three growlers, yay. Their music kills, but I'll be damned before I can say "That one is the guitarist, that one is the bassist, and the other is the drummer".

Schuldiner invented it. Åkerfeldt and Gossow are the best at it. Everyone else sounds the same.

Mr Sparkle said:
yes....we are both older than everyone else but C lee and superman :sad:
if you're older than me then cheers on the white pubes.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
if you're older than me then cheers on the white pubes.

You have kept your true age shrouded in a cloud of mystery, Wilhelm. You mystic, you.

jag

jaguarr said:
You have kept your true age shrouded in a cloud of mystery, Wilhelm. You mystic, you.

jag
Yeah. I obscure it with all of the Sleestak references, the fact that I'd love to screw Meryl Streep and all of the pics I post of these:
clackers1.jpg

:)heh

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yeah. I obscure it with all of the Sleestak references, the fact that I'd love to screw Meryl Streep and all of the pics I post of these:
clackers1.jpg

Yeah, well now you're REALLY dating yourself. :D

jag

Wilhelm-Scream said:
clackers1.jpg

****, I have no idea what those are. you are old.
I'm guessing 33 to 37.

Mr Sparkle said:
I'm guessing 33 to 37.

They're like an early version of these
clackers.jpg

The balls bouce off each other and go click-clack
clickclacklogo.gif

Mr Sparkle said:
I'm guessing 33 to 37.

Settle down. 37 isn't that old (I'll hit that milestone in June :eek: ).

jag

Duende Verde said:
They're like an early version of these
clackers.jpg

The balls bouce off each other and go click-clack
clickclacklogo.gif

you're like 2 months older than me, stop trying to sound knowledgeable! :mad:

jaguarr said:
Settle down. 37 isn't that old (I'll hit that milestone in June :eek: ).

jag

I hope I'm that cool and have radiohead inspired avatars when I'm that old.

:(:up::)

PLAS said:
it seems that Death Metal is an aquiried taste.

but here's some great albums featuring grunt vox used right:

Carcass- Necrotism, Descanting The Insalubrous
Napalm Death- Harmony Corruption
Death- Human
Paradise Lost- Lost Paradise
Entombed- Wolverine Blues
Obituary- Cause Of Death (here the singer just uses his voice as another instrument, no lyrics at all)
Morbid Angel- Blessed Are The Sick
Sepultura- Arise

although a lot of people like Cannibal Corpse, I find them to be pretty cliche

I never got into death metal. Who ever said the majority of metal vocalist could sing.

Addendum said:
I also forgot to include in my list of pictures...

arch_enemy.jpg

Angela Gossow, the ONLY chick I've heard doing Death Metal vocals

There are idiotic metal-heads who live by the mantra "If it's not metal, it's crap". I cannot live by that since I'd be missing out on some killer music, even if it doesn't have riffs that would make a paraplegic headban

I was that way when I was younger. If it was not metal it did not matter. To me that is like going to all you can eat buffet and getting only one thing over and over. Pointless.

Funny I'm lysting to Arch Enemy right now. Anyway I like more power metal singing but give it some time and the Death or cookie monster volcals will grow on you.

Phantommantis said:
Funny I'm lysting to Arch Enemy right now. Anyway I like more power metal singing but give it some time and the Death or cookie monster volcals will grow on you.

I saw an Arch Enemy viedo, and I could not get into them.

ScottyBBadd said:
I was that way when I was younger. If it was not metal it did not matter. To me that is like going to all you can eat buffet and getting only one thing over and over. Pointless.
Agreed. I'm ashamed that I had that attitude in my high school years. But that was one of the benefits of college- new horizons of music were opened up, and old loves (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, and other Classical Music greats) were rekindled.

Just don't hold it against me that I still can't get into the Beatles.

Addendum said:
Agreed. I'm ashamed that I had that attitude in my high school years. But that was one of the benefits of college- new horizons of music were opened up, and old loves (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, and other Classical Music greats) were rekindled.

Just don't hold it against me that I still can't get into the Beatles.

I am not. I just did not know any better. On top of that everyone else, in my family, was into country, I wanted to go to the other extreme. I am not gonna hold you not getting into The Beatles against you. To me their stuff is too hit or miss.

I have the Church to thank for helping me discover metal. If not for those videos I saw as a 9 year old about "THE EVIL HEAVY METAL MUSIC", I wouldn't have discovered Slayer, Venom, Black Sabbath, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Exodus, Testament, Forbidden, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. etc. etc. :D

Addendum said:
I have the Church to thank for helping me discover metal. If not for those videos I saw as a 9 year old about "THE EVIL HEAVY METAL MUSIC", I wouldn't have discovered Slayer, Venom, Black Sabbath, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Exodus, Testament, Forbidden, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. etc. etc. :D

Same here.

things that Death Metal helped me discover and appreciate:

jazz (Atheist, Cynic, early 90's Death)
electronic/industrial (Godflesh, Pitch Shifter)
goth music (Anathema, Tiamat, Paradise Lost)
more progressive and melodic sorts of music (Carcass, Death, Morbid Angel)
experimental (Lawnmower Death, Naked City)
appreciate well crafted music by recognizing lame muscicianship (Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, a large etc)

it's all a matter of how you look into it

The Incredible Hulk said:
what? no love for GWAR? ;)

bass.jpg
GWAR is not Death Metal, GWAR is GWAR, and that's about it

they do rock like few bands do

PLAS said:
GWAR is not Death Metal, GWAR is GWAR, and that's about it

That about sums it up, too. LOL! :up:

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back