Has there been a band like the Pixies?

No see, this is exactly my point.

They have achieved ALL of that. But never have they recieved mainstream recognition. More people know who Pete Doherty is. And less people like Pete Doherty's music.

But they did have mainstream recognition in the time they were releasing albums. They have headlined major festivals in England and America.

I'm not sure what you are basing your "success levels" on.

ha!
i don't think the Pixies are underrated at all!
i think they are one of those bands that are meant to be appreciated by a cult following and NOT meant to be exploited by the "Music Television" that the hoards of teens pay homage to even though there IS NO MUSIC ON IT.:dry:

The only band that has even gotten close to the Pixies in modern times, for me, are the Arcade Fire.

devo?

edit: also, it's a common misconception that the band were called "the pixies", they weren't. The band's name was simply "Pixies"
pedants_preview.gif

ha!
i don't think the Pixies are underrated at all!
i think they are one of those bands that are meant to be appreciated by a cult following and NOT meant to be exploited by the "Music Television" that the hoards of teens pay homage to even though there IS NO MUSIC ON IT.:dry:

Exactly. Who wants to see Pixies songs played over Soda commercials.
The Pixies where more popular in the UK and parts Europe than they where in the America.

Exactly. Who wants to see Pixies songs played over Soda commercials.
The Pixies where more popular in the UK and parts Europe than they where in the America.
:up:
that is SOOO true!!
i would rather go to a Frank Black and the Catholics concert and hear EVERYONE singing along to EVERY song because they are true fans than going to a Pixies concert, that was held together by fame, in front of a crowd that only knows the songs that were played on the Mtv.

the other advantage is that it allows them to stick to small intimate venues. I'll take a gig with a couple of hundred fans over an enormodome any day :)

Live music is rubbish, though. I'd much rather just listen to the CD.

I don't really care how popular any band is or isn't, as I'm secure enough in my own belief about any given band's talents, or lack thereof.

Live music is rubbish, though. I'd much rather just listen to the CD.

I don't really care how popular any band is or isn't, as I'm secure enough in my own belief about any given band's talents, or lack thereof.
are you serious!?!?!
no way.
live music is the BEST!!
of course i may be a little bias seeing as how i was raised and live in the "capital of live music" city.:heart:

I think standing there watching people play musical instruments is fairly ridiculous, and tend to avoid it as best I can (which is rather tricky, given that I'm in a relatively successful band of my own). I enjoy the final product, ie. the album/single/music video, but watching music bores me.

Well having seen the Pixies perfrom live in Dublin, I'd have to disagree.

Live music rocks. It was awesome standing there in the crowd, singing along to every song that was pumped out. Fantastic atmosphere. I felt very lucky that the Pixies came back together and I could see them live.

I think you are 100% undervaluing their popularity and their influence. They are easily one of the best bands from the 80s and early 90s and have influenced a huge plethora of bands from Nirvana to Burning Airlines to The Wannadies. I just don't think how you can say they are underrated - OK maybe your friends don't talk about them all the time and maybe they aren't on National Radio every day but they have been had both critical and commercial success for close to twenty years and released their last album in 1993.

burning airlines!!! :up:

saying the pixies didn't get any mainstrem recognition is inaccurate. they've been featured in several major motion picture soundtracks, like fight club (the climactic ending scene) and unbreakable.

stephen colbert said it best when talking about the decemberists, "why can't they be like every other indie band and rip off the pixies?"

the pixies have influenced thousands of bands over the last 15-20 years. that's a better legacy than commercial success, in my opinion.

some of my favorites are: archers of loaf, built to spill, vitreous humor, hot snakes, modest mouse and spoon, to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"