Eurovision: The Movie

I hate the Eurovision Song Contest, because Finland: zero points, yet... I liked it. 9-/10. Cut 10ish minutes and some dick jokes and would've been a full 9/10. Managed to both parody and and honor the ESC at the same time. Really nice charm to it, the song along scene with previous contestants and winners was a blast and some of the songs are catchy as hell. Husavik for Oscar! Belarus' Lordi copy Moon Fang's "Running with the wolves" deserved a longer version. I'm definitely getting that as a ring tone.

I heard something about this movie and immediately decided not to watch it because I’m kinda down with Will Ferrell comedies. But then I heard Demi Lovato is in it, so... is it worth wasting a couple hours on?

Ok so I just watched this.

Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens were amazing in this, they stole the show... honestly, Rachel was amazing, she didn't phone it in...

Will Ferrel was miscast in this.... he felt like a side character in this.

He should have been the father, with someone like Daniel Radcliffe as the Son.

Great tunes, some camp fun... again Stevens was a hoot in this and some fun cameo's.

Will Ferrel just phones it in, his portrayal in this was like a wannabe 'buddy' from Elf.

I heard something about this movie and immediately decided not to watch it because I’m kinda down with Will Ferrell comedies. But then I heard Demi Lovato is in it, so... is it worth wasting a couple hours on?

She’s in it for maybe only 5 minutes

“I’ll just leave the knife here, in case you have to do more murders!”

That scene had me :lmao:

Dan Stevens and McAdams were great, Ferrell wasn’t as good, but had a few good moments. Music was great and catchy! Volcano Man, Lion of Love, Ja, Ja, Ding Dong were my favourites!

Humour was hit and miss, but it was really funny at times!

Wish I had known about Eurovision before this came out!

7/10

So this pretty much lived up to the Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens hype. Those two were pretty great in this, especially McAdams who has so much range as an actress that its crazy. I also would not mind a Alexander Letmov spin-off movie starring Stevens, but its probably a long shot that something like that will actually happen. Will Ferell is pretty much Will Ferell in this and while I did like his chemistry with McAdams I definitely think you could have gotten someone else for the role like Daniel Radcliffe which would have been a far more interesting choice or hell why not just have Dan Stevens in that role? It was so weird seeing Pierce Bronson as his father too, because age wise they are only like 15 years apart. Still it had plenty of funny moments sprinkled throughout and I'm glad they never went too over the top with it like they usually do in Ferell comedies.

7/10

Just watched this. Could've been shorter and without some of the dick jokes, but overall a feel good movie. My favourites were Husavik and Ja Ja Ding Dong.

I like musical films about songs or song writing like this or Music and Lyrics.

I could see a sequel of sorts with different characters being made, but still about Eurovision.

Last edited:
b2fd0ade480e1bf155660027388f4077b71b6e77.gif

392b8233e143bb7b9be1dfdc1bf220ae10eacd4f.gif

Here's a review I wrote for work.

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga is the latest Will Ferrell offering, pairing him up with Rachel McAdams. For me, Will Ferrell is hit-or miss, and I prefer him when he’s not too much over the top. McAdams (Wedding Crashers, Dr. Strange) has never disappointed.

Fire Saga is about childhood friends Lars and Sigrit who have been making music for years and dream of winning the Eurovision contest, an actual competition where countries compete musically. Lars is more driven to win than Sigrit, who prefers to just have her own musical voice. Much of the drama plays off these conflicting desires and their romantic tension. After all, they’re not brother or sister, or as Lars says “probably not” when asked. Most of the comedy is through mishaps and Ferrell throwing out lines that smell of improvisation. Though he is the co-star, the comedy style has his mark all over it. There is also a part about elves, but I’ll save that for viewers.

One of the things that appealed to me was the setting. Lars and Sigrit are Icelanders, and the rural, isolated town setting offered a style I don’t see much in American cinema. Plus, seeing Ferrell with long hair was just fun. He plays Lars a bit over-the-top in typical Ferell-ish manner, but not at the expense of the character. There is a fair amount of music including a party scene that would be at home in a full musical film. The tension never goes deep, allowing the mood to stay light when jokes aren’t flying. I had a mixed reaction to this. Sometimes it made the movie boring; other times it worked well to keep the fun at the forefront. I’m not a pop fan though I enjoyed the songs. The padded jokes do affect the pace; a slimmer story would have made it cleaner.

If you like Will Ferrell then give this a try. I’d say it’s one of his better movies and different enough to recommend to anyone who at least doesn’t mind him. Give it a try, and maybe you’ll be asking for an encore of “JaJa Ding Dong” too (Watch the movie to get that joke.)

Oh no I have a feeling it’s going to be horrible.

What a shame because Eurovision is ace and it actually does have a good message

ok I am full of regret for this comment because I finally saw it and loved it so much. It really got the point of Eurovision. It’s not about winning, it’s about light. And Rachel madams is so sweet! Highly recommended.

also loved all the cameos

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"