Evangeline Lilly gushes over working with Marvel

Flint Marko

Bring me Thanos (P)
Reaction score
This could probably go in the Ant-man section, but I felt that it was of interest to Marvel films as a whole because it describes her experience working with Marvel, and it's a bit different than some would like to think.
In an interview with comic vine they asked her what it was like working with Marvel, and she said the following:

CV: Can you tell us anything about your experience filming Ant-Man?

EL: Honestly, it’s easy for me to talk about it. I’ve had such a wonderful experience. Marvel Studios has shocked the pants off me. I really expected to be walking into a great big machine that would be so well oiled and anybody new with new ideas or new contributions would just be a pain in the butt. Marvel could not have been more opposite to those expectations. They’ve been collaborative in a way that makes me feel like—and I know you’re going to say this is bullcrap but it’s totally true—in a way that makes me feel like I was working on a little indie project. I mean, it was that intimate and that collaborative. I just had a wonderful experience.

CV: Well we’re all waiting. Everything is about Age of Ultron right now and we’re waiting to hear anything about Ant-Man.

EL: [laughs] I know. It was incredible and I’ve never experienced this before. I just wrapped on the film. They’re still shooting. They’ll be shooting into December. Then they’re going to turn the film around and have it in theaters by July. That’s unheard of, that’s an incredibly quick turnaround. You won’t have to wait very long. You’re going to get some news about it very soon.

Like I said, that's a little bit different than what some people would like to think about Marvel and how they make movies. It's also a bit surprising since this movie has undergone the most turmoil of any production yet; you'd think they'd have an extraordinary amount of studio control at hand but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Here's a link, for those of you who want to read the full interview, those are the only two marvel related questions:
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/interview-evangeline-lilly-talks-about-her-squicke/1100-150433/
Like I said if the mods want to move this to the Ant-man section that's fine, I just felt this could possibly spark a wider discussion.

I'd give anything to shock the pants off of her.

I'd give anything to shock the pants off of her.

giphy.gif

You ain't alone.

She's not the first to say something like this. Whedon, James Gunn and The Russo's echoed the same sentiments, Favreau as well while he was doing the first IM. Its probably not a coincidence that those guys probably made the best 4 entries in the MCU.

Makes you wonder what really happened with Thor 2. Now i actually think that movie is ok and not nearly as bad as most people make it seem but its clearly a step below the rest and it was the production accused the most of studio interference.

T"Challa;30132739 said:
She's not the first to say something like this. Whedon, James Gunn and The Russo's echoed the same sentiments, Favreau as well while he was doing the first IM. Its probably not a coincidence that those guys probably made the best 4 entries in the MCU.

Makes you wonder what really happened with Thor 2. Now i actually think that movie is ok and not nearly as bad as most people make it seem but its clearly a step below the rest and it was the production accused the most of studio interference.

Who knows,maybe they just chose the wrong guy to do it,and I enjoyed that movie a lot. I can definately see
Taylor having problems in juggling all the aspects of his first big-budget movie and not getting used immediatly to the whole process. He also did not show any passion for the material.

Last edited:
Who knows,maybe they just chose the wrong guy to do it,and I enjoyed that movie a lot. I can definately see
Taylor having problems in juggling all the aspects of his first big-budget movie and not getting used immediatly to the whole process. He also did not show any passion for the material.

I believe there was major head butting going on during that movie. There were rumors months before the release that Marvel was not happy with Alan Taylor and that they would probably never hire him again. I also don't think they were happy with him crapping on Gunn about the GOTG epilogue. I think they are looking for a certain kind of synergy with their directors and Taylor just wasn't the right fit.

Even so, despite it all, I thought he turned in an immensely entertaining movie. I really enjoyed the Dark World but feel I always have to defend myself for saying that. I don't get the hate at all and frankly don't want to because it diminishes my enjoyment of what I thought was a really solid effort. I loved Winter Soldier but Dark World is still my favorite Phase 2 film. Based on what I've seen thus far, I suspect Whedon's next Avengers will take the cake though.

Yeah TDW is a blast for me too,I just hope they find the ultimate Thor director for Ragnarok. Kyle-Yost duo and Feige's words got me very excited for it.

Marvel seems like a pretty damn cool company if you ask me. Not only do (most)people have nice things to say about them, but then you read things like what they did for Bill Mantlo and its nice to see the good side of corporate America. I really think that the current high ups at Marvel really do respect these creators and their characters.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08...f-guardians-of-the-galaxy-courtesy-of-marvel/

SEE IDRIS ELBA?!! THIS IS WHAT YOU SAY WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU ABOUT WORKING ON A MARVEL FILM, YOU UNGRATEFUL HACK.

I'll be surprised if you EVER work again after those incendiary asinine comments you made. Who do you think you are, huh?

;)

She better not turn around and say anything bad about them. Or I will treat her just like Elba.

yeah even if its just "I was having so much fun shooting my dream role, it felt silly to go back to the tights" she will get blasted out of Marvel and called an ungrateful hack

SEE IDRIS ELBA?!! THIS IS WHAT YOU SAY WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU ABOUT WORKING ON A MARVEL FILM, YOU UNGRATEFUL HACK.

I'll be surprised if you EVER work again after those incendiary asinine comments you made. Who do you think you are, huh?

;)

Idris is a top ten actor in the MCU... I noticed the wink but you dont type all of that without meaning some of it.

Wait...so Marvel learned the secret to good film making ISN'T being a large, power hungry film making entity and instead keeps things personal yet professional? NO WAY....who would have thought... ;)

T"Challa;30132739 said:

Wow...first I heard of Thor 2 being only "ok" I'm actually a little surprised. I freaking loved the film.

Wow...first I heard of Thor 2 being only "ok" I'm actually a little surprised. I freaking loved the film.

It's quite hated in some parts around here. I think it's one of Marvel's weakest efforts, but it's still a solid movie.

I also think it was only "ok". The film also made me feel sad for Christopher Eccleston. He already gets lots of complaints from fans who don't like the fact that he hasn't returned to Doctor Who and that he has said he didn't always enjoy working with the production team. Now he had this Sci-Fi role, which he seemed really exited about, specifically about how it was more than just another generic bad guy who's evil for the sake of it. Then so much of him got cut that he's actually the villain with the least motive and personality in the MCU.

I just found it so.... disappointing
it's not a bad movie, but everyone wanted Thor's version of Winter Soldier, and that's not what we got
If TDW was like, the first film Marvel had done, everyone would've loved it

it's not a bad movie, but everyone wanted Thor's version of Winter Soldier, and that's not what we got

I always thought that if TDW came out before 2012 it would have been more successfull,now we are kind of spoiled lol. I believe Ragnarok will be his TWS though.

I wish EL would tell us if she becomes Wasp in the Ant-Man movie or not.

Yeah, but I think the first Thor is still better. And I'm not gonna defend TDW because I felt that Marvel really dropped the ball on that movie. Alan Taylor is probably not the best director they could've hired, particularly after the brilliant hiring of Gunn and the Russo Bros., but the script is weak as well, especially the 3rd Act when it was a climatic battle without any tension and way too many Darcy & Intern show.

I hope Marvel will learn their lessons and make Ragnarok the best Thor and one of the best MCU movies ever.

Yeah, but I think the first Thor is still better. And I'm not gonna defend TDW because I felt that Marvel really dropped the ball on that movie. Alan Taylor is probably not the best director they could've hired, particularly after the brilliant hiring of Gunn and the Russo Bros., but the script is weak as well, especially the 3rd Act when it was a climatic battle without any tension and way too many Darcy & Intern show.

opinionated.gif

I hope Marvel will learn their lessons and make Ragnarok the best Thor and one of the best MCU movies ever.

I'm down with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"