Goyer on SuperMax, Magneto, Other Stuff

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: CHECKING IN WITH DAVID S. GOYER
Updates on ‘Magneto,’ ‘Super Max,’ ‘The Invisible Man’ and his next comic project!
By Rickey Purdin

Posted August 29, 2007 10:10 AM

Writer, producer, director. Movies, TV and comics. David S. Goyer has done it all and he’s continuing to do it all, having no less than nine irons in the fire in Hollywood and elsewhere. It goes without saying he’s one of the busiest men in the industry, but he was gracious enough to check in with Wizard Universe to give us an update on some of his projects.

On “Magneto” (2009), the X-Men spinoff film he’s writing and directing about their greatest foe:

“We’re scouting and budgeting now. It’s the origins of the X-Men with Magneto and Charles Xavier. We’ve done some scouts and it mostly takes place in Europe and Argentina. We’re doing budgets and we’re sort of halfway crewed up, and so that’ll be the big question: whether we can bring it in for a price. But that’s all I can say.”

On “Super Max,” a project he’s producing and Justin Marks is writing about Green Arrow being wrongly imprisoned in a jail for supervillains:

“We haven’t even officially turned in a script for that yet. The idea is that they’re mostly sort of third-tier DC villains, but that was part of the fun, that they’re relatively obscure. But Icicle is in it from JSA—from my days on writing that. I mean, people will recognize most of them. What we did was present to DC a list of people we wanted, and then they went through it on a case-by-case basis and told us whether we could have them or not.”

Talks about, Heroes and The Invisible Man....
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/005803362.cfm

I'll be curious to hear more about SuperMax as it progreses!

SuperMax does sound great, but I'm kinda sad that it's going to be the first movie Green Arrow gets. It would be an AWESOME idea for a sequel to a GA movie, but as an origin movie, if that? :csad:

SuperMax does sound great, but I'm kinda sad that it's going to be the first movie Green Arrow gets. It would be an AWESOME idea for a sequel to a GA movie, but as an origin movie, if that? :csad:

But it WON'T be an origin movie, and like Edward Norton pointed out with The Incredible Hulk: You don't always need to start from the beginning, anyway.

Hey at least they are Developing a Green Arow story. If the movie sells well they can make a Prequel. It doesnt always has to start with the origin story. (The Hannibal Franchise is the perfect example). I wonder if we see any other heroes, as a cameo.

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying, and I am REALLY psyched about Supermax, and I don't really know why this bugs me as much as it does.
It's not because I have to see an origin movie, but rather because this makes me kind of scared for any sequel possibilities.
If SuperMax isn't a MASSIVE hit, then would the studio really want to market it's sequel?
Also, unless this movie is called Green Arrow: SuperMax, what would the sequel be called, keeping in mind that it would have to connect to SuperMax in people's minds.

I'm just talking out of my ass, really. I honestly can't wait to see this.

But it WON'T be an origin movie, and like Edward Norton pointed out with The Incredible Hulk: You don't always need to start from the beginning, anyway.

Agreed! I do hope they have him flash back to certain points in his past during quite moments, not so much to give his entire origin, but to pique the viewers' interest about where he did come from and whet their appetite for a second film!

If the script goes through and greenlights production, it will probably be renamed green arrow. I doubt the wb would market a superhero like green arrow with nothing that doesnt connect the name.

If the script goes through and greenlights production, it will probably be renamed green arrow. I doubt the wb would market a superhero like green arrow with nothing that doesnt connect the name.

Doubt it. Green Arrow will serve as more of a point of view character. The real star of the film will be the villains, the usage of Green Arrow is more incidental than anything.

Doubt it. Green Arrow will serve as more of a point of view character. The real star of the film will be the villains, the usage of Green Arrow is more incidental than anything.

That puts it nicely, what my minor beef with this movie was. They obviously aren't going to market this movie as a Green Arrow movie (I think), so why waste a great character, like Ollie, who is also arguably one of DC frontliners, in a movie where he's not really going to be the focal point?

What a F'in great idea. Kick ass way to jump start the Green Arrow franchise. Never liked the character anyway but man what a concept. I hope its executed well.

That puts it nicely, what my minor beef with this movie was. They obviously aren't going to market this movie as a Green Arrow movie (I think), so why waste a great character, like Ollie, who is also arguably one of DC frontliners, in a movie where he's not really going to be the focal point?

The answer to that is:

What a F'in great idea. Kick ass way to jump start the Green Arrow franchise. Never liked the character anyway but man what a concept. I hope its executed well.

^ What he said.

Essentially:

1.) We get to see a cool character, who otherwise probably wouldn't be in a live action film in a cool twist on the super hero genre.

2.) His presence in the film makes it very, very likely that we could then get a Green Arrow film, or film series sometime in the future, where, as stated above, were it not for this film, that probably would have never happened.

3.) To me at least, he just screams of being perfectly suited for something like this.

Well said, odiin.
My worries about this have kind of been leviated.

I just sincerely hope that SuperMax does jumpstart a GA franchise.

Well said, odiin.
My worries about this have kind of been leviated.

I just sincerely hope that SuperMax does jumpstart a GA franchise.

I'm certain it will. His popularity has been building up steadily in recent years. First he was featured as a recurring character in Justice League unlimited, then entered into the live-action realm with a HUGE part in the recent season of Smallville, becoming something of a break-out character there, he will be appearing in the upcoming season of the Batman, and now being featured in Supermax, will, in my opinion, set him over the top making it near inevitable that we will see a solo Green Arrow film in the near future.

The answer to that is:

^ What he said.

Essentially:

1.) We get to see a cool character, who otherwise probably wouldn't be in a live action film in a cool twist on the super hero genre.

2.) His presence in the film makes it very, very likely that we could then get a Green Arrow film, or film series sometime in the future, where, as stated above, were it not for this film, that probably would have never happened.

3.) To me at least, he just screams of being perfectly suited for something like this.

Yeah he seems like an everyman type character in a crappy situation. I hope he doesnt drop that super soap............IM KIDDING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"