Evolution of the Trailer over the years....

Trailers definitely improved over the years. Right now is the golden age of trailer making.

Actually I would encourage a lot of you to look up some movie trailers from the 80's and early 90's, those trailers spoiled EVERYTHING about the movies.

Problem for me is all big budget movie trailers feel like they are all using the same beats, in some cases literally beats with the music and sound effects.

They do seems to come in waves, with popular or creative ones spawning a load of dupes. Anything that gets popular creates hordes of imitators.

Still working my way through but this is an interesting piece. Thanks for posting it. :up:

Loads of 'em. Prepare to be nostalgia-bombed.

[YT]AGNqI6RYBrQ[/YT]

:yay: Nice. Thanks. I remember seeing loads of voiceover trailers, but I couldn't remember or find one that actually began with "In a world" most of the ones I found began with "In a time" or "One man..." or something.

Drizzle has you covered but I am compelled to post this whenever I can.

[YT]fVDzuT0fXro[/YT]

lol, that was funny. I have to check that out.

Trailers are definitely more streamlined these days. I sometimes feel that some scenes are purposefully shot so they will fit well in a trailer, whereas older trailers (I'm talking about 80s/early 90s) often felt more segmented and less flowing, as you would expect if picking random scenes out of those films.

The first trailer I remember being hyped for was Terminator 2, back around 1991. I saw something (can't quite remember what) which announced the trailer would be aired during an awards show of some sort here in the UK, and I recorded it to VHS tape. Watched it ........ then rewinded ...... watched again .............. rewinded .............. watched again ............... and repeat. The anticipation was off the chart.

Of course nowadays it's the norm to have instant access to a trailer, in a variety of resolutions and file types, shared across a variety of different media, streaming services or downloaded as a file to your PC. We're really spoilt when it comes to accessibility of things like this thanks to the internet, but it also has the negative effect of people expecting more and more clips/teasers/info from a film long before it ever comes out. Too much knowledge will ruin the film for you.

I checked out some older trailers and was quite surprised how spoilery some of them are.. The main difference is that back then the media landscape wasnt that much developed like it is now..
no one freezeframed the hell out of trailers and made the information public to everyone..

look the trailer from "the matrix" ..its not that different to todays trailers..
but back then when I saw it in the theater I maybe have seen the trailer once before..local ads.. and that was it..

[YT]vKQi3bBA1y8[/YT]

You have to remember that it was pre-1993 (start of WWW) , pre-1998 (Google), pre-2004 (facebook), pre-2005 (Youtube), mobile apps were rare, and home ownership of PCs were rare in the 1990s. Let alone 1980s & 1970s -- I live through all of these time periods. The general audence knew less in advance --unless youre hardcore cinephile and spoilers were not such a big deal then.

People say that films aren't as original nowadays, but maybe it's more of an effect of the audience going in to watch them having already been exposed to massive amounts of PR, Advertising, trailers, teasers, teasers for the trailers, interviews with cast, and so on.

When you went to see a film in the 70s/80s and even early 90s, it was sometimes a complete shock to the system when it impacted you - be it good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"