• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Fairness Doctorine: Discussion

Boo Fairness Doctrine!
Yeah Free Speech!

Even if it means you guys get to have an entire radio network dedicated to the FairTax.
Sadly, there is not :(

But, you can occasionally listen to Neal Boortz talk about the FairTax on your local Syndicated Broadcasting Sation from 9-12. :woot:

The point would be to silence those who disagree with them. You know, because this shouldnt be a free country unless you agree with their beliefs.

Well, as much as I would like there to be more center left voices out there in radio land....they just don't garner advertising, and therefore make absolutely no money for the radio station......not sure why....but the liberal radioheads just don't seem to get the listeners...

I just keep my radio on NPR and don't worry about it.

Sen. Stabenow wants hearings on radio 'accountability'; talks fairness doctrine

This morning, radio host Bill Press brought up the recent closing of liberal station Obama 1260 when speaking with Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, and talked about whether there needs to be a balance to right-wing talk on the radio dial.

BILL PRESS: Yeah, I mean, look: They have a right to say that. They’ve got a right to express that. But, they should not be the only voices heard. So, is it time to bring back the Fairness Doctrine?

SENATOR DEBBIE STABENOW (D-MI): I think it’s absolutely time to pass a standard. Now, whether it’s called the Fairness Standard, whether it’s called something else — I absolutely think it’s time to be bringing accountability to the airwaves. I mean, our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency. You know, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And, I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.

BILL PRESS: Can we count on you to push for some hearings in the United States Senate this year, to bring these owners in and hold them accountable?

SENATOR DEBBIE STABENOW (D-MI): I have already had some discussions with colleagues and, you know, I feel like that’s gonna happen. Yep.

Although Obama has been publicly opposed to reinstating the fairness doctrine, conservative radio has talked nonstop about the fear of it returning (or perhaps something like it with another name) while there's a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic majority in Congress.

UPDATE: A commenter points out that Stabenow is married to Tom Athans, a liberal talk radio executive.

So, the Attack on Speech just started with a single shot. The Great Senator, DEBBIE STABENOW, married to VP of TalkUSA, the Company that owns bankrupt AirAmerica wants to pass the Fairness Doctorine. You know, when Fascists are in Power, one of the first duties is to Cut off Opposition Voices, either in Print, Radio, or TV. Guess what I think of this STABENOW?

To me, the fairness doctrine is a violation of civil rights.

Let the masses determine what is on the radio....if the show is good, and people listen, it will stay, if it does not get an audience...it will fail...

You know this is a pre-emptive attack on talk radio. It's the main form of media where Liberals have not been able to break through. They already have most of television but liberal talk radio has been losing money.

Leave it alone!

I find the name Fairness Doctrine to be completely absurd since the only reason why the Democrats want this passed is simply because they want to shut up Rush Limbaugh and Fox News for the wrong reasons.

I find the name Fairness Doctrine to be completely absurd since the only reason why the Democrats want this passed is simply because they want to shut up Rush Limbaugh and Fox News for the wrong reasons.

yes.....

NO FAIRNESS DOCTRINE? DON'T BE FOOLED.

Well there goes my fun ... but then again, maybe not! I was really looking forward to Congressional hearings and the whole bit. But White House spokesman Ben LaBold told FoxNews.com that Barack Obama opposes any move to bring back the Fairness Doctrine.
Well then somebody ought to inform Congress and the FCC that this is the official stance of the administration. But remember, the key nowadays is to rename things. Like "tax cuts" is the new name for "welfare." Or "economic stimulus" is an excuse for "government spending." If it is so easy to re-brand a welfare check as a "tax cut," how difficult could it be to re-brand the Fairness Doctrine? Remember that comment from a Democrat congressman earlier this week? The goal of some Dems, including Henry Waxman, is to bring back the Fairness Doctrine but not actually call it the Fairness Doctrine.
Here are two possibilities:
  1. "Localization." Most of the talk shows that cause the Democrats such headaches are syndicated. Instead of the Fairness Doctrine, all the Democrat-controlled FCC has to do is announce a new policy that requires radio stations serving certain sized radio markets to make 50%, 70% or more of their prime time programming local. Syndicated radio programs like Limbaugh and Hannity aren't local. In order to save their licenses to operate these radio stations would have to get rid of one show or the other and substitute local talk show hosts who don't quite have the impact on national policy that the big dogs do. Mission accomplished.
  2. Create a radio version of the "Community Reinvestment Act" that would require radio stations to program for their specific communities rather than the population at large. This law would permit various community groups, like ACORN, to monitor the programming of radio stations in the area and file complaints with the FCC when the programming isn't to their liking. While it is true that community groups can do that now, the new regulations would give their complaints added weight in determining license renewal.
  3. Create local boards to oversee radio stations. Politicians, naturally, would appoint these boards which would be made up largely of community "activists." These boards would have extraordinary access to station policies and documents regarding decision-making processes. These boards would have great influence on FCC license-renewal processes and would, therefore, become de-facto program directors.
Fairness Doctrine? They don't need no Fairness Doctrine. There are plenty of ways they can shut down talk radio. Perhaps Obama does actually have an appreciation for the concept of free speech when it comes to talk radio ... but I see nothing in his history or current actions that would tell us that.

In my opinion Obama should stand trial for impeachment if he doesn't veto any bill that has the fairness doctrine written in it. The oath of office clearly stated that he must protect the constitution.

It wouldn't be a Bill. It would be an FCC regulation, and that doesn't need to pass in Congress.

He still needs to try something and not just say "I'm not for it." He vowed to protect the constitution and if just saying it is the way of vowing now-a-days then I don't want any part of this place.

This Fairness doctrine is plain and simple stupid and unconstitutional.

Indeed, indeed. They don't wany anybody ruining their parade:o I didn't hear any of them calling for this during the last 8 years.

Rush and Fox News are a bunch of jackasses. But they can be as ignorant jackasses as much as they want and if people want to listen to them, more power to them.

If the Democrats want to shut them up. They better start attempting to shut up Air America and MSNBC. Yet I highly doubt they'll do that on account that they see those sources of media as fair.

Maybe we'd all be more supportive of the Fairness Doctorine if it were actually, you know, about fairness.

I see allowing Free Speech and the Liberty to Listen to it as Fair. Some Politicians see otherwise.

Let the freedom of choice drive it.
If people want to listen, the show will succeed...simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"