Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Ant-Man Quantumania was worse yet it didn't flop as hard as The Marvels, so how do you eXplain that?

Moving away from Superman seems like a valid point. I still don't think November is a fitting month for the Fantastic 4.
Historicially speaking, January and February are the worst months of the year to release a movie. There's a reason why they are referred to as "Dump Months" in the industry. Generally speaking movies do better during May/June/July and November/December. However this isn't always the case as there have been outliers here and there like Deadpool and Black Panther. Also Ant-Man didn't have to deal with a 6 month long strike and it had the benefit of coming out 1st in a year of a lot of bad or mid superhero movies.

When I think of Fantastic Four, I think "summer blockbuster". But Marvel have proven themselves able to capitalize on a release in any month. Still, they might want to release it during the summer to maximize ticket sales.
I mean after what happened to The Marvels, I'm not sure anymore.

I'm interested to see the performance of Captain America Brave New World and Thunderbolts in Feb/May. If they do well or underperform, it could play a part on Fantastic 4's success at the boX office. I wish we are getting The Fantastic 4 first before those two movies.

Historicially speaking, January and February are the worst months of the year to release a movie. There's a reason why they are referred to as "Dump Months" in the industry. Generally speaking movies do better during May/June/July and November/December. However this isn't always the case as there have been outliers here and there like Deadpool and Black Panther. Also Ant-Man didn't have to deal with a 6 month long strike and it had the benefit of coming out 1st in a year of a lot of bad or mid superhero movies.

I also feel like Ant-Man had better marketing. It seemed more like an event film. And it didn't require you to have watched Loki the way The Marvels required you to watch both WandaVision and Ms. Marvel. Plus Majors was something of a draw at that point.

I think as long as F4 offers something fresh, doesn't require previous reading, and is actually good then it should be fine.

I also feel like Ant-Man had better marketing. It seemed more like an event film. And it didn't require you to have watched Loki the way The Marvels required you to watch both WandaVision and Ms. Marvel. Plus Majors was something of a draw at that point.

I think as long as F4 offers something fresh, doesn't require previous reading, and is actually good then it should be fine.
This is a good point. The Quantumania trailers were pretty good for the most part. Especially the second one. The Marvels trailers didn't really offer much to get general audiences interested.

Ant-Man Quantumania was worse yet it didn't flop as hard as The Marvels, so how do you eXplain that?

Moving away from Superman seems like a valid point. I still don't think November is a fitting month for the Fantastic 4.
Better marketing campaign, IMO. That and I think Ant-Man 3 hurt The Marvels a bit. Had it come first, I think it would have done a lot better. The Marvels also came out after a long string of bad CBMs, between all the various cinematic universes

I know Reed has had facial hair in the comics, and with any other actor I feel like this wouldn't be a problem, but all I can see is Pedro Pascal in an F4 suit.

That being said, the suits in that fan art look awesome. I've always been a fan of the blue and black.
tho, I agree Pedro's natural facial hair, doesn't really work for Reed {an is too much of a signature "Pedro Pascal" look } yes, they probably wanted Pascal for his name and popularity to a degree, so, they don't want him unrecognizable in the role ... but, I also like to see something unique for his look, something that makes his Reed standout and him bend into the role more

but, I'm not sure clean shaven is the way too go here (maybe like 10 years) but, if you're going to do older bearded Reed, double down, go all in on it...
give him that really full/long/thick beard (which I don't think we've seen Pascal in a full on beard like that before)
1708465304606.png

...an this could be used to shape out his facial features more into fitting Reed's thicker elongated kinda look

Last edited:
If it's a 60s movie, Reed won't have a beard. Beards like that were not exactly the norm in that era. So if he has facial hair, probably will be a mustache at most

If it's a 60s movie, Reed won't have a beard. Beards like that were not exactly the norm in that era. So if he has facial hair, probably will be a mustache at most

To be fair, there were some hippies in the 60s with beards. If it is set in that time period, maybe Reed had one to express his counterculture side lol.

To be fair, there were some hippies in the 60s with beards. If it is set in that time period, maybe Reed had one to express his counterculture side lol.
But going by the Valentines Day thing, it doesn't look like that's what they're going for. It looks like they're going for a more standard Baby Boomer era family vibe. So a beard wouldn't fit that

But going by the Valentines Day thing, it doesn't look like that's what they're going for. It looks like they're going for a more standard Baby Boomer era family vibe. So a beard wouldn't fit that

Good point.

I could see Reed having the beard maybe in a sequel. But not in this one

This is on my wishlist too, I mean it would be great to see this eventually in the MCU skyline:

FourFreedomsPlaza.jpg

The FF come back in the present day in the sequel, the Baxter Building becomes Four Freedoms Plaza in their honor.

This is on my wishlist too, I mean it would be great to see this eventually in the MCU skyline:

View attachment 80725

The FF come back in the present day in the sequel, the Baxter Building becomes Four Freedoms Plaza in their honor.
I imagine Baxter Building is what we will see in this movie, but Four Freedoms Plaza will be the more modern version. Maybe they buy another building or the Baxter Building modern day once they left became a piece of crap, so they renovate it

Reed's always been a bit of an eccentric, and doesn't "conform to the social norms"... he's also known to get lost in his work/ lose track of time and not really focus on things like, stopping to shave or even care that much about his appearance

Reed's always been a bit of an eccentric, and doesn't "conform to the social norms"... he's also known to get lost in his work/ lose track of time and not really foucus on things like, stopping to shave or even care that much about his appearance that much
Reed is probably going to be working for the government as a scientist, and government employees were clean shaven. Reed only got the beard in the comics in more recent years, so it isn't like Reed was against that social norm when they wrote him in the 60s. So I don't see the beard being a thing. If this were a modern day FF, I would say bearded Reed was likely. But this is a 60s period film, and more clean shaven Reed evokes that era more.

Last edited:
I get that to a degree
but {hypothetically speaking} just cause it's set the 60's doesn't mean it's going to follow the 60's comics... the timeine is all twisted backwards

it's in the 60's but seems to be an older already established F4 team, so, we may not be going to see those same early years version of the characters...

could be as if the modern era characters were in the 60's, as far as we know (an keep in mind this may be set in an alternate Earth's 60's, what is or isn't the "norm" could be completely different)

just saying

Regardless if it's an alternate Earth or a proper 60s, it's going for a 60s vibe and beards don't scream 60s vibe unless your characters are hippies or something, and clearly what Marvel Studios posted doesn't showcase that kind of vibe. So if the goal is to make it feel like the 1960s, then Reed is more than likely not going to have the beard. But ultimately, doesn't it really matter in the end? The facial hair isn't going to be what is really important here lol

View attachment 80725

Assuming they’ll do a retro story with them ending up in current time, I’d sort of like an opening with them settling into their new time mysteriously in a way that would pay tribute to the opening pages of FF1: “Who are these strange people who have rented the top floors of this skyscraper?”

Then a flashback to show the retro story.

Yes, successful, middle-aged men in Manhattan in the 60’s would have been clean-shaven with short, well-groomed hair.

But more importantly, that’s how Reed was drawn in the early ‘60s.

To go to all the trouble of creating a ‘60s setting and then not giving us the FF appearing as if they were pulled straight out of the early issues wouldn’t make any sense.

Either do full Kirby or don’t go retro.

Anyone else think it odd to start with Galactus and Silver Surfer?

Unless this is an alternate reality where Galactus technically “wins” it basically robs the movie of any tension.

Like we know fantastical elements existed pre-Iron Man but it has been largely covert( Antman and Wasp, Captain Marvel) or hidden Black Panther and Namor.

While it would be nice to see Howard Stark and Peggy again, The Fantastic Four being full fledged in the era of tv kind of takes the heat out Fury‘s ” you thought you were the only one”

Also it would be cool to get one off variations of 60s heroes in an alternate Earth like Panther or grey Hulk.

Anyone else think it odd to start with Galactus and Silver Surfer?

Unless this is an alternate reality where Galactus technically “wins” it basically robs the movie of any tension.

Like we know fantastical elements existed pre-Iron Man but it has been largely covert( Antman and Wasp, Captain Marvel) or hidden Black Panther and Namor.

While it would be nice to see Howard Stark and Peggy again, The Fantastic Four being full fledged in the era of tv kind of takes the heat out Fury‘s ” you thought you were the only one”

Also it would be cool to get one off variations of 60s heroes in an alternate Earth like Panther or grey Hulk.

Starting with Galactus and Surfer is definitely a choice.

I always had it in my mind that Galactus would be a Big Bad like Thanos.

Starting with Galactus and Surfer is definitely a choice.

I always had it in my mind that Galactus would be a Big Bad like Thanos.
I don’t think Galactus works as a final villain. His motivations are just primal. You can’t really stop him. Just bypass one planet for another.

Doom is the only villain that works in a Thanos way. And Marvel messed up the Skrulls which definitely would have worked as a long form story in movies.

Kang has always sucked. I mean the comic version.

I don’t think Galactus works as a final villain. His motivations are just primal. You can’t really stop him. Just bypass one planet for another.

Doom is the only villain that works in a Thanos way. And Marvel messed up the Skrulls which definitely would have worked as a long form story in movies.

Kang has always sucked. I mean the comic version.

But that's why I thought he would work. All the goings on with the Snap would entice his cravings for Earth specifically, and through the course of the phases he would ravage planet after planet until he found his way here. In doing that, they could've introduced the Shi'Ar, the M'Kraan Crystal, all that fun cosmic stuff. Then all the heroes get together to stave him off in a final battle on Earth, but they know that Galactus is always lingering in the cosmos.

At any rate, I agree with you about Doom and the Skrulls. I'm sure theres still a way to salvage the Skrulls at least.

I've always had the idea that marvel can have a more traditional, ugly, evil/take over the world type Skrulls By making them another class or "race" even. Maybe they're more forceful, ruthless, and dangerous than the class of skrull we currently are aware of. Seems like an easy fix.

And there's always the multiverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"