Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I'm really hoping that Franklin (and even Valeria) does indeed appear in this next film, and that Susan is Susan Richards, not Susan Storm. It would be great to see something different with this family dynamic than the previous F4 films. Judging by his past work, I know that Matt Shakman can do a lot with an ensemble cast involving children.
Well, Reed and Sue originally married in the "Fantastic Four Annual #3" book, published in 1965. Before that, they were romantically involved but not officially hitched. Marvel didn't introduce Franklin until 1968, and Valeria's arrival took an extremely long time after that - she showed up in 2002.

If true, then that’s certainly….different.

There is a way this could work for me.

If they are meant to be in the main MCU, but Kang shenanigans led to them not existing in that universe. So Secret Wars is restoring the universe to what it should be

Yeah I heard about this alternate universe business, I don't know how to feel about that.

I feel like the alternate universe concept was always going to be on the table especially after the Valentines drop. Like we had to know it'd be there in some capacity imo.

They're gonna have to sell me both on the 60s setting and the alternate universe thing. Conceptually, I don't like either thing. They'll have to convert me. I also still think this means Doom and the FF have no prior history unfortunately. But that's me making a guess based on the info

I'm actually not that opposed to an alternate universe setting. It could allow them to do something different and not be held back by some of the shared restraints that the MCU has.

I just don't understand what is so difficult about putting them in the present day and letting them become the world's new favorite heroes.

I’ve long held that the 60s setting is necessary to distinguish the MCU franchise from the two previous failed attempts. It allows them to be the MCU’s actual First Family, puts the audience in an era we haven’t witnessed before, provides separation from the growing number of modern day super teams, and offers a fresh visual palate. But having them exist within an Elseworld seems like overkill.

I’ve long held that the 60s setting is necessary to distinguish the MCU franchise from the two previous failed attempts. It allows them to be the MCU’s actual First Family, puts the audience in an era we haven’t witnessed before, provides separation from the growing number of modern day super teams, and offers a fresh visual palate. But having them exist within an Elseworld seems like overkill.
Wouldn't that sort-of still be the Eternals?

Wouldn't that sort-of still be the Eternals?

I don't know if I would consider them a family and they are not really superheroes and definitely not human. Given how the Eternals movie came out I would be okay if Feige and company decided to ignore them.

This has long been rumored so not surprising. X-Men will probably come from an alternate reality as well.

I wonder if that would work in the mainline continuity? I've always gotten the impression that Iron Man was the first public hero since Cap in the MCU and I'm not sure how you'd reconcile that with the FF being a celebrity team fighting giant monsters in Manhattan in the 60's. But off course we're talking about movies based on comic books where retcons are common place!

This has long been rumored so not surprising. X-Men will probably come from an alternate reality as well.
I don't think the X-Men will be. They have started to plant the seeds for mutants to appear down the line.

I wonder if that would work in the mainline continuity? I've always gotten the impression that Iron Man was the first public hero since Cap in the MCU and I'm not sure how you'd reconcile that with the FF being a celebrity team fighting giant monsters in Manhattan in the 60's. But off course we're talking about movies based on comic books where retcons are common place!

The 40 year gap between the FF's adventures and Tony's announcement helps with that. How often do we talk about events that happened that long ago? Also, the FF's adventures occurred during the cold war and the spread of information was much less instantaneous. If Shakman's reboot stays away from the celebrity heroes idea, shadowy government agencies could have kept their adventures off the front pages.

The 40 year gap between the FF's adventures and Tony's announcement helps with that. How often do we talk about events that happened that long ago? Also, the FF's adventures occurred during the cold war and the spread of information was much less instantaneous. If Shakman's reboot stays away from the celebrity heroes idea, shadowy government agencies could have kept their adventures off the front pages.
I'm admittedly ambivalent on dropping the celebrity angle and the FF becoming a covert team.

If they were to go with the them being from the 60's of Earth-616, my approach would be to start the film then, but have the majority take place in outer space or in another dimension so you can have that classic Star Trek/Lost in Space feel. Then at the end when they return to Earth you can have a twist where its now the present day due to time dilation shenanigans.

From the perspective of someone like Nick Fury, they're a team of explorers who disappeared 60 years ago.

They could be a 60s team who did a mission off world that left them stranded and the government covered it up. Part of their arc could be having it all finally be unsealed and them finally being publicly recognized for their heroism.

Kinda similar to Cap’s story, but I never felt him being in a new time period was explored enough.

Last edited:
If they do an alternate universe, I hope they pull the production design directly from the FF 1-100.

That could be fun to see with all Reed’s goofy gadgets etc.

If they don’t do that, I’d wish they would just set it in the current MCU.

If they do a 60s setting it’s easier to adapt characters like red ghost. I bet he has the potential to be a really fun villain

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"