Fat Jeff fired from GS...reign of hate and bad taste over.

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by 블라스, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Green Goblin 1964 Registered

"The power of the press triumphs!" -JJJ

2. GFreeman Registered

You should be through trusting anyone's reviews, because they all do it.

3. Timstuff Registered

User reviews are worse for love-or-hate games, because the people who actually buy the games typically want to like it. If a game gets unanimously bad user reviews, there's a good chance it sucks. But if it gets over all "pretty good" reviews, then you can't tell, because a lot of the reviewers might just be in denial that it's not a good game.

This is the real fundamental problem with having game companies advertise on a site that reviews their products. You can't expect to give an honest review of a product without facing potential retaliation from your advertisers. IMO the only real way around this is to focus on getting advertisers that sell products that you don't review.

4. TNC9852002 Banned User

Heh...I never really liked how he reviewed games...

-TNC

5. Zenien Guest

http://kotaku.com/gaming/advertorials/1up-shows-support-for-gamespot-reviewers-328882.php

In the growing wake of the controversy surrounding GameSpot's alleged firing of editorial director Jeff Gerstmann comes a little bit of surprising solidarity.

A bunch of Ziff Davis staffers (including 1Up) made a banner to show their support for fellow game reviewers and marched it the two blocks to the GameSpot building on Friday. The banner, and impromptu march, shows that despite being competition, what may have happened at GameSpot could have wide-spread implications in the game publication industry.

6. WhatsHisFace Registered

Where is this Donahoe?

7. Electro UK Can't all be for nothing

What a wonderful waste of time.

8. Zenien Guest

Better they do that than do nothing.

[​IMG]

9. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

At least Destructoid's waste of time was funny. :)

10. Jerry! Registered

Yeah but it all comes down to the numbers. "Hey it got a 9.7, its near perfect" is just what they care about. Assasin's Creed got a disproportionate score compared to what some of the reviews said about it. I mean IGN's 3 reviews of the game ranged from great to downright horrible. How do you explain that? That really baffled me.

11. Timstuff Registered

I'm glad to see such solidarity emerging from the game journalists in the wake of Jeff getting fired. The fact that this display they put on reached across multiple, competing game media outlets was even more encouraging. As I said before, whether or not you like Jeff is not the issue here. This issue is that Gamespot fired someone for giving an honest review of an advertiser's product, which was not very good, and was fired because of this. There are laws on the books stating that giving an endorsement of a product for payment without publicly declaring the transaction is illegal, so if Jeff was wise, he could probably sue Gamespot over getting fired.

To the people whining that this is a "waste of time," keep in mind, games are these people's JOBS. If you're a scientist and you got fired for making a scientific discovery that big science didn't want you to study, then would it be a waste of time if you and other scientists banded together to protest it? No. So why is that any different from protesting how Jeff writing a bad review for an advertiser's game, and then got fired because big business didn't like it?

12. Zenien Guest

http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor--on-fired-reviewer-328775.php

Gamespot has also closed any user submitted reviews of Kane and Lynch because their own members were firebombing it with 1.0's. A lot of Gamespot forum posters are being banned currently.

[​IMG]

13. GFreeman Registered

I was actually going to buy Kane and Lynch before this.

14. Zenien Guest

[​IMG]

I'd start running if I were you. :o

15. GFreeman Registered

Who is that?

16. Zenien Guest

Someone who looks like he's going to set a building on fire.

[blackout]Jeremy Parish/ToastyFrog[/blackout]

17. GFreeman Registered

So do those people actually work somewhere, or are they just NeoGAF people? If they work somewhere, they probably shouldn't be complaining, since I'm sure they've done it too. Everyone gets paid for reviews.

18. Mr. Smash'n Bash Registered

Take that person I don't know.

19. Zenien Guest

They are 1UP/EGM Staff Members. I don't know if they ever accepted money for a favourable review, but Hsu has talked about how 1UP/EGM has lost tons of revenue support from publishers for not fluffing reviews.

20. GFreeman Registered

I don't believe them. Maybe they refused to fluff up kabuki warriors, but I know they fluffed up Gears of War.

21. Zenien Guest

They drink on their podcast. :o

22. GFreeman Registered

Alcohol is how the devil enters your body and makes you give ****ty reviews.

23. Max J Power Trash Boat

While I disagree with some of his (and other Gamespot writer's) reviews, the reason for firing him is bull****, and makes Gamspot look a lot less credible in reviewing.

24. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, I can't see myself trusting any of GameSpot's reviews anymore (not that I really did before, since I disagreed with a lot of the ones for games I'd actually played). 1Up's looking good if they really don't fluff their reviews. I have a hard time believing any ad-based review site doesn't fluff their material at least a little bit, but I'll check some of their scores on games I've played and see if they match my tastes, at least.

25. Zenien Guest