• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

fave horror/scary movie

edgar_c

Civilian
Reaction score
with Halloween 1 day away what is you fave horror/scary movie mine Texas Chainsaw Massacre a true classic

p.s Would say "The Ring" but that movie scares the poop out of me and I was in the army for cripes sakes.

This has been discussed quite a bit since the coming days before Halloween.

Anyway, my pick is:

shining.jpg

Best ****ing horror movie in existence.

Probably The Shining.

The original TCM would come in second for sure.

Alien (1979) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

Scream:D:up: I've probably watched that movie a million times!:o

Kmack said:
Scream:D:up: I've probably watched that movie a million times!:o
That movie has some great kills. The Directors Cut (on the Laserdisc release) has added gore shots which make them even better. :up:

1. Dawn of the Dead (original)
  2. Black Christmas
  3. The Thing (JC)
  4. Night of the Living Dead (original)
  5. Halloween

Hasn't there been like 10 threads like this in less than 2 days ? People sure do search these days, don't they ?

Oh, and shining's the best. And yes, it's a fact. :o

One movie that I feel compelled to metion because it doesn't get much notice in this day and age is The Bride of Frankenstein. OK, it's not scary, but that wasn't the question. It is a horror movie and a classic film at that. Both James Whale directed Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are so subversive and wickedly funny. You honestly have to almost consider them one film as they connect so well. There is just a witty, winking sense of humor through the Bride that ties in so well with the original. And Karloff as the monster is something I rank up there along with Arnold as the Terminator as far as an actor being so suited for a role. He created a memorable rendition of an already memorable literary character.

I don't even think the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was even scary.

co2 said:
One movie that I feel compelled to metion because it doesn't get much notice in this day and age is The Bride of Frankenstein. OK, it's not scary, but that wasn't the question. It is a horror movie and a classic film at that. Both James Whale directed Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are so subversive and wickedly funny. You honestly have to almost consider them one film as they connect so well. There is just a witty, winking sense of humor through the Bride that ties in so well with the original. And Karloff as the monster is something I rank up there along with Arnold as the Terminator as far as an actor being so suited for a role. He created a memorable rendition of an already memorable literary character.

I really like the first one. Still the best adaption, imo. It's short, but damn it was original for it's time. I do like the spin they did on Frankenstein, to make him a big dumb creature, unlike in the book (which is an excellent book, btw) where Frankenstein was a uber genious. Funny, though, because since the movie came out, Frankenstein has been a) Called Frankenstein (when it isn't even it's name) and b) has been know by most people to be dumb.

Great movie. But I was disappointed by Bride. I'm of the few who much prefer the first one's simplicity. Then again, the second one tried to adapt the second half of the novel, and with his own twist on it, which I also do admire.

Oh, and Young Frankenstein IS easily the greatest spoof of any movie ever made. If you watch back to back Frankenstein, bride and Young, it is clear how much of a genious at comedy Brooks was.

gaia_frankenstein.jpg

J Alba's Lover said:
I don't even think the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was even scary.

Scary, maybe not, but lunatic and chaotic ? Hell yeah, and it exceeded at that. What a masterpiece that was. :yay:

Then again, do remember nearly EVER slasher movies ever made since then have tried to mimmick it in one form or another. In it's time, Texas must have been mad. Heck, it still seems original even today by the low standard most people have with these tonedown teen slasher we get.

It aimed more to disturb than scare anyway, it wasn't trying to be suspenseful.

It was like look there's loud noises and camera's going in and out of view.

and the dinner scene was annoying with the camera going in and out of her face while she was screaming.

J Alba's Lover said:

and the dinner scene was annoying with the camera going in and out of her face while she was screaming.

It was unusual, wasn't it ? It seemed weird, hey ? Chaotic and it probably made you feel uneasy watching such a mad movie ? Not like every common big budget horror movie you see on the market in the last decade ?

Be glad you saw it. ;)
TCM became a legend among horror films, and, unlike most horror movies, it was because of both it's shock value and the way it presented it in such an original way. Both camera works and music seem to have stayed in your mind. Loud noise ? More like mad music!

Tobe Hooper succeeded on all fronts.

No i didn't feel uneasy watching it. I thought it was boring for the better part. I mean nothing doesn't happen to atleast 40 some minutes into the movie.

J Alba's Lover said:
No i didn't feel uneasy watching it. I thought it was boring for the better part. I mean nothing doesn't happen to atleast 40 some minutes into the movie.

I'm sure you'll still remember the movie for years, unlike most horror movies out there, and for that reason alone, you should respect it's lasting effects at the very least, imo. ;)

You won't see people talking about the prequel to the remake in 30 years, that I can assure you, heh. Or how it changed horror movie for 30 whole years. Now THAT'S impact!

Btw, nothing also happen in the first 40 minutes of both Excorcist and the original Psycho. And those three movies have had more impact on horror cinema then nearly every others put together. Sometimes taking your time and building tension is a good thing, instead of having everything jump at you at the very beginning.

All i'm going to say what scared people 30 years ago simply won't do it today.

Another movie i don't get wgats so scary is the exorcist.

So sorry if my bubble gum pop culture mind doesnt think the orginal TMC is disturbing or gritty or whatever word you wanna use to describe it.

I just watched it about a month ago and i can't remember much of it anymore.

We talk about best, worst, etc. But there are movies that transcend opinion and changed the face of Horror forever. Like them, hate them, or don't understand them, it doesn't matter for they were the ones that had impacts on countless of generations of young filmmakers.

The original German expressionism wave did that, with brilliant horror movies like Nosferatu and the cabinet of dr. Caligari. Or M. They pretty much invented the horror genre in movies, and deserve the biggest mention.

Pyscho, well, it speaks for itself. Texas chainsaw inspired every gore slashers movies that came out after it. Halloween redefined it for mainstream AND with a better story (but a far lesser direction, though). Alien propelled the Sci-fi horror genre to a whole new level (you know, the kind of level that is actually scary, unlike most great but so darn cheesy sci-fi movies before that).

Jaws, well, it scared a whole generation to go at the beach. And since then, I won't even try to count the number of wannabe that came out (not just in shark movies, but also by great little movies like Tremors who were inspired by it).

The exorcist took the most sacred subject of it's time (religion) and played on it's fear. Oh how marvelous that one must have been back then.

I'd like to mention the Omen, because of how good it is, but it rode on the exorcist's success more than anything else, and aside from sequels and a remake, it didn't inspire as much as the other movies above.

And then there's the movies that didn't inspire anyone when they first came out, but are now seen as pionners and some of the greatest inspirations nowadays: movies like the Shining or the Thing. Both so different from everything else on the market, and yet back then, they didn't launch a bunch of immitators. Of course, now they inspire filmmakers on all level, so they need to be at least mentioned.

While I hate to mention it, Scream also propelled the bad wave of teen movies in the 90's. The wave of tonedown horror about a "who's the killer now ?" kind of movie. Craven at least deserves respect for bringing something that had such an impact.

Ringu launched both a wave here and in Japan, and is a must to mention.

The old universal classics monsters were inspirations for many also. From the invisible man to Dracula to the wolf man, they are still getting remade today.

Romero with his night of the living dead nearly created the zombie genre.

These, imo, are the main big ones. I'm probably forgetting some (and no, i'm not mentionning people's favorite horror title here, but rather the most important ones), so, if someone has an idea of a title who propelled the genre to new level back then, feel free to name it.

There are many important Italian movies out there from the 70's and 80's, but i'm not sure which one should be mentioned. I really didn't care much for Argento's Suspira, but I know how important it is. So, there.

J Alba's Lover said:

The camera zooming in on her showing extreme close-ups of her bloodshot, horrified eyes was showing a complete descent into utter madness; and "nothing happens for 40 minutes" because they were building the atmosphere rather than jumping straight into the horror. Things feel normal for a while, then suddenly get hellish.

Stormyprecious said:
The camera zooming in on her showing extreme close-ups of her bloodshot, horrified eyes was showing a complete descent into utter madness; and "nothing happens for 40 minutes" because they were building the atmosphere rather than jumping straight into the horror. Things feel normal for a while, then suddenly get hellish.

Now, I have nothing against him, he just has VERY different tastes then I do. But you are wasting your time, imo. He prefers the remake and the prequel over the original one, and that should speak volume to how different we are to him, and how LONG it would take to make both of you're views to collide.

Being myself someone who loves to create horror, he's everything I'm not going for. Which isn't a bad thing, well, except when too many people begin to think like he does and my views become the minority. Then, well, I have some huge problems making the movie I want to make, brrr. :csad:

TheSaintofKillers said:
Now, I have nothing against him, he just have VERY different tastes then I do. But you are wasting your time. He prefers the remake and the prequel over the original one, and that should speak volume to how different we are to him, and how LONG it would take to make both of you're views to collide.

Being someone who loves to create horror, he's everything I'm not going for. Which isn't a bad thing, well, except when too many people begin to think like he does and my views become the minority. Then, well, I have some huge problem making the movie I want to make, brrr. :csad:

I'm not telling him that he has to like it, I'm merely pointing out why it was done, which he doesn't appear to understand.

Stormyprecious said:
I'm not telling him that he has to like it, I'm merely pointing out why it was done, which he doesn't appear to understand.

Most people prefer the standard of cinema they got used to by the usual Hollywood movies. When something doesn't follow that line, it usually goes into the "bad" category for them.

That's how mainstream work. And that's how Hollywood likes his public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"