• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

fave horror/scary movie

My favorite horror film(s) is George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead (Land of the Dead just seems to me like a personal homage to the trilogy with lots of in jokes and references...but it doesn't hold a candle as a stand alone).

My next favorite(s) would be The Exorcist and The Shinning.

I also like the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre (By the way the title is suppose to be two words since Tobe Hooper did not know the correct spelling of "Chainsaw").

TheSaintofKillers said:
We talk about best, worst, etc. But there are movies that transcend opinion and changed the face of Horror forever. Like them, hate them, or don't understand them, it doesn't matter for they were the ones that had impacts on countless of generations of young filmmakers.

The original German expressionism wave did that, with brilliant horror movies like Nosferatu and the cabinet of dr. Caligari. Or M. They pretty much invented the horror genre in movies, and deserve the biggest mention.

Pyscho, well, it speaks for itself. Texas chainsaw inspired every gore slashers movies that came out after it. Halloween redefined it for mainstream AND with a better story (but a far lesser direction, though). Alien propelled the Sci-fi horror genre to a whole new level (you know, the kind of level that is actually scary, unlike most great but so darn cheesy sci-fi movies before that).

Jaws, well, it scared a whole generation to go at the beach. And since then, I won't even try to count the number of wannabe that came out (not just in shark movies, but also by great little movies like Tremors who were inspired by it).

The exorcist took the most sacred subject of it's time (religion) and played on it's fear. Oh how marvelous that one must have been back then.

I'd like to mention the Omen, because of how good it is, but it rode on the exorcist's success more than anything else, and aside from sequels and a remake, it didn't inspire as much as the other movies above.

And then there's the movies that didn't inspire anyone when they first came out, but are now seen as pionners and some of the greatest inspirations nowadays: movies like the Shining or the Thing. Both so different from everything else on the market, and yet back then, they didn't launch a bunch of immitators. Of course, now they inspire filmmakers on all level, so they need to be at least mentioned.

While I hate to mention it, Scream also propelled the bad wave of teen movies in the 90's. The wave of tonedown horror about a "who's the killer now ?" kind of movie. Craven at least deserves respect for bringing something that had such an impact.

Ringu launched both a wave here and in Japan, and is a must to mention.

The old universal classics monsters were inspirations for many also. From the invisible man to Dracula to the wolf man, they are still getting remade today.

Romero with his night of the living dead nearly created the zombie genre.

These, imo, are the main big ones. I'm probably forgetting some (and no, i'm not mentionning people's favorite horror title here, but rather the most important ones), so, if someone has an idea of a title who propelled the genre to new level back then, feel free to name it.

There are many important Italian movies out there from the 70's and 80's, but i'm not sure which one should be mentioned. I really didn't care much for Argento's Suspira, but I know how important it is. So, there.

You did a great job with that list.
And for those that dispute the ones on the list...the question was "fav horror/scary movie" not scariest movie. In my mind, that leaves a lot to interpretation. To me, that means the best film, not necessarily the scariest.

1) The Evil Dead (any of them)
2) Halloween
3) The Thing (80')
4) The Fly (86')
5) They Live

The Shining
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness (I don't think of it has horror, but some do)
Shaun of the Dead
From Dusk Till Dawn
Dawn of the Dead (2004, haven't seen 1978)

Evil Dead II

Rosemary's Baby

The Hills Have Eyes ('80)

Prognosticator said:
1) The Evil Dead (any of them)
2) Halloween
3) The Thing (80')
4) The Fly :wow: (86')
5) They Live:wow:

Very Solid

How can you have only one?

Exorcist and original Dawn of the Dead will have to arm wrestle for it.

Max J Power said:
From Dusk Till Dawn
Dawn of the Dead (2004, haven't seen 1978)

Very Solid again-Please, do yourself a favor and see the '78 version yo'll be better for it...or sicker. The remake was very well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"