• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Batman portrayal and why

Affleck for me is the best Batman, while Bale edges out the Bruce Wayne by a hair. JL will help me figure it out.

For now...

Batman :

1. Affleck by a mile
2. Keaton
3. Bale

Bruce Wayne :

1. Bale
2. Affleck
3. Keaton

And deservedly so. Not only did Bale put out a better performance than everyone on this list, his Batman gets something across that guys like Keaton and Affleck don't: Batman is not just a damaged, dark, brooding vigilante, he is also a hero.

Hear, Hear.

Bruce Wayne

Keaton: C
Kilmer: B
Clooney: D
Bale: F
Affleck: F

Batman

Keaton: A
Kilmer: B
Clooney: D
Bale: F
Affleck: F

Best Overall: Val Kilmer

Bale, but just for sh**s and giggles, Clooney.

Why?

tumblr_mwd9cqoqnd1rrkahjo5_250.gif

You would think after his passing these kids would get a clue about Adam West... It really is sad he's not listed in the poll.

You would think after his passing these kids would get a clue about Adam West... It really is sad he's not listed in the poll.

Especially in that Batman 1966 was the first feature length theatrical release of a Batman movie and not only got good reviews but was moderately
successful at the box office. I asked the OP to change the poll to include Adam West, but was ignored.

Personal Bias aside, Adam West is really the only Batman on the same level as Bale.

West was essentially Post-1940/Pre-1969 Batman come to life.

Kevin Conroy on Batman TAS and Justice League TAS. His portrayal of the Gotham Knight is without equal.

Kevin Conroy on Batman TAS and Justice League TAS. His portrayal of the Gotham Knight is without equal.

Yes. Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm was a theatrical releases. So Kevin Conroy should be on the list too.

Personal Bias aside, Adam West is really the only Batman on the same level as Bale.

West was essentially Post-1940/Pre-1969 Batman come to life.

West is my second choice. I think the two of them are far above the rest, at least as far as live-action Batmen go.

Affleck for me is the best Batman, while Bale edges out the Bruce Wayne by a hair. JL will help me figure it out.

For now...

Batman :

1. Affleck by a mile
2. Keaton
3. Bale

Bruce Wayne :

1. Bale
2. Affleck
3. Keaton

I feel similarly. I can appreciate the different takes on Bruce Wayne, but the question comes down to Bale and Affleck. Batman is supposed to be a world class athlete and possess elite fighting skills. That disqualifies most of the field in terms of being the best. Only Affleck and Bale are believable in that essential part of the character.

My concern with Affleck as Batman isn't his look, which was outstanding, but some of his movements. There were times in BvS that he was slow and not particularly fluid. Although to be fair, that isn't all Affleck's fault. Affleck's stunt double stated that he wasn't particularly sharp on some days, like the Knightmare scene, so that issue might be resolved in JL.

Christian Bale because he's the best one, obviously. :o :oldrazz:

On a slightly more serious explanation, he captured the brooding and pain that was in Keaton, but he also brought a nobility and a true sense of purpose to Bruce. You could see his pain and anger in the eyes, and even the boy in his face even as it aged, but you also got a sense of passion and genuine affection for his city... and how he would do anything to save it and his parents' legacy.

Plus, I liked how he approached being Batman on a macro level of cleaning up the city and really using Batman as almost a political campaign, and enlisting trusted people to help build its shadow across the city. While less pure comics where "the mission will never end," it actually shows a cunning to Bruce as he does not approach crime by merely attacking the symptom (rich guy beating up poor people). He is trying to clean the city up economically and ethically, so as there not to be the environment to breed more crime.

Keaton's Bruce was more anti-social and damaged, and just doing it to satiate his own demons. And Affleck's Batman is just a raging *******. He kills like Keaton, but unlike Keaton, there is kind of a sadistic joy about it, and he has that obnoxious Ayn Rand "might makes right" fascist crap that Miller and Snyder drool over. He also doesn't view it as making the world a better place, it's about proving his manhood and... screw that interpretation. The only way to salvage the Affleck Batman is to have a page one rewrite once Matt Reeves comes onboard. Even then though, he lacks the presence and nuance of Keaton or Bale in the role.

Bale. Best combo of Batman and Bruce Wayne. Strong performances and given the best material to work with.

I would say Bale is in contention for being the worst Batman. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion in this thread given some of your responses.

As Bruce Wayne I found him dull and awkward, as Batman I just found him outright ridiculous.

That's not to say Bale isn't a great actor, I just think there was a massive misunderstanding somewhere.

Bale. IMO, he gave us the most nuanced and comic accurate portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne to date. There's a few things I would change, mostly TDKR related, but so far he is the measuring stick.

I really want to love Affleck. He has an even more comic accurate look and the best bat-suit put to film. If Matt Reeves really gives us a film noir/detective story, we could be in for something special. But I'm still not sure if Ben can pull off the emotional weight of playing Bruce. But as long as Snyder isn't attached he has a chance.

On a slightly more serious explanation, he captured the brooding and pain that was in Keaton, but he also brought a nobility and a true sense of purpose to Bruce. You could see his pain and anger in the eyes, and even the boy in his face even as it aged, but you also got a sense of passion and genuine affection for his city... and how he would do anything to save it and his parents' legacy.

Plus, I liked how he approached being Batman on a macro level of cleaning up the city and really using Batman as almost a political campaign, and enlisting trusted people to help build its shadow across the city. While less pure comics where "the mission will never end," it actually shows a cunning to Bruce as he does not approach crime by merely attacking the symptom (rich guy beating up poor people). He is trying to clean the city up economically and ethically, so as there not to be the environment to breed more crime.

Keaton's Bruce was more anti-social and damaged, and just doing it to satiate his own demons. And Affleck's Batman is just a raging *******. He kills like Keaton, but unlike Keaton, there is kind of a sadistic joy about it, and he has that obnoxious Ayn Rand "might makes right" fascist crap that Miller and Snyder drool over. He also doesn't view it as making the world a better place, it's about proving his manhood and... screw that interpretation. The only way to salvage the Affleck Batman is to have a page one rewrite once Matt Reeves comes onboard. Even then though, he lacks the presence and nuance of Keaton or Bale in the role.
This is not talked about enough. Many fans don't understand that Nolan's Batman had a very noble, effective plan of reducing/ending crime in Gotham. It is much more intelligent and credible than the simplistic "patrolling" city streets idea that many fans clammer to see.

Keaton's psycho eyes and gruff (yet not overdone) voice made him the most memorable, iconic and intense Batman.

The chemistry he had with the villians easily overshadowed the others who played it a little too straight.

Also I never bought that Bale could kick people's ass cause his bat mask and suit were so laughable.

Keaton made a decent Bruce Wayne but it's Conroy who defined the role.

Exactly this.

I guess for me it will always be Keaton since Batman 89 was the film that introduced me to Batman in general. I was so blown away by his portrayal and the character because it was unlike any other fictional character I had known up to that point.

He wasn't Chris Reeve's Superman or Luke Skywalker, he was dynamic, mysterious, and most of all a bada**. His portrayal and that film made me a Batman fan, and seeing that film in a packed audience back on opening weekend was a treat as well.

While I prefer Bale's multi-dimensional Bruce Wayne in terms of how the character is written, Keaton is still my favorite.

I really don't like Affleck's Batman at this point. Yeah, he looks like the comic, and fights better than any of the others, but its just not Batman to me...yet. After JL my view may change , but what i've seen from BvS just didn't cut it.

I thought Kilmer did a decent job and was closet to Conroy's version at the time imo. He was certainly the most heroic of the Batman's in my view, but just didn't have the material to really do much more with the role.

I would say Bale is in contention for being the worst Batman. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion in this thread given some of your responses.

As Bruce Wayne I found him dull and awkward, as Batman I just found him outright ridiculous.

That's not to say Bale isn't a great actor, I just think there was a massive misunderstanding somewhere.

Thats a much better description of Keaton's Bruce Wayne than Bale. Bale was by far the most lively Bruce Wayne we've had yet.

Keaton is the best Batman for my money. Bale is easily the best Bruce Wayne.

Affleck is strong in both aspects of the character, could be great if he gets to shine in a good movie. Hopefully he and Reeves come through.

The list is missing Adam West.

Robin: Are you gonna feed those letters to the bat computer?
Batman: They're made out of noodles...easy to digest

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"