Favorite Examples of Nighttime Cinematography

Boom

I got nothin'
Reaction score
I was having an argument with a friend over Peter Jackson's use of the "day for night" technique for certain scenes in The Lord of the Rings (notably Weathertop and Shelob's Lair), and how, in my opinion, it compromised the inherent horror in those chapters - which stems directly from Tolkien's use of darkness.

He asked me, "Well, how else would he have done it?" I directed him to Alien - just one example of a film that, in my opinion, perfectly captures the oppressiveness and primordial horror of the darkness, but at the same time provides a beautiful visual contrast between light and dark imagery.

Then there is the classic scene in There Will Be Blood, where the oil tower burns brightly in the night sky. We see silhouetted bodies outlined by the flames. And the money shot: Daniel Day-Lewis' face, illuminated by fire, floating amongst a pitch-black backdrop.

So my question is this: What are some examples of your favorite examples of nighttime cinematography?

Last edited:
i remember there was this scene in Hot fuzz where after simon peggs character is smuggled out of the town by nick frost to get away from the council, they have an argument behind the car with half there faces illuminated by the red light of the car's rear headlights. i always really liked that use of lighting. also, Luke versus vader in the carbonite freezing chamber in Empire Strikes Back.

Two examples off the top of my head, and they're both from True Grit.

-Mattie Ross is passing by LaBoeuf sitting on the front porch, and the way the fire from his pipe lights his face.

-Mattie, Rooster and LaBoeuf all sitting around a campfire at night, where the only source of light is the campfire. That's one of the first times that I had ever seen a nighttime seen done properly in film. I was impressed. None of those pathetic daytime scenes masquerading as nighttime scenes.

That's all I can think of.

-Mattie, Rooster and LaBoeuf all sitting around a campfire at night, where the only source of light is the campfire. That's one of the first times that I had ever seen a nighttime seen done properly in film. I was impressed. None of those pathetic daytime scenes masquerading as nighttime scenes.
I loved that too. The way Cogburn comes in and out of the darkness :up:.

Oh yeah, I loved the Hot Fuzz car shot.

I dunno...i've always wanted to do a stylized flick in which every night shot has a different color, which gives you the tone of the scene.

If it's a clamer scene, maybe a blue or pink, if it's an intense one, a hard red, or maybe something disturbing with a green.

Could be cool.

Anything Spielberg ever did, most notably scenes in ET, the "Fortune and Glory" shot in Temple of Doom, and the shots in Close Encounters.

Some great use of coloured lighting in night time scenes in Manhunter.

The scene in Bad LT: POCNO where Terence pulls over that couple.

Some great use of coloured lighting in night time scenes in Manhunter.

The scene in Bad LT: POCNO where Terence pulls over that couple.

Your avatar is the best example I can think of. Coppola's masterful use of light and the heart of darkness.

That's a superb example :up:.

Anything Spielberg ever did, most notably scenes in ET, the "Fortune and Glory" shot in Temple of Doom, and the shots in Close Encounters.

Yes, I've read good articles on his love of eyes and light. I wonder if you know that one.

Michael Mann's Heat.

I would also like to add Public enemies when Bale is firing the Tommy Gun while the sedan is moving.

Also at the risk of being flamed on a superhero message board. The Dark Knight's interrogation scene and the final scene keeping Dent's scars in the shadows.

haha yea, how did i overlook that one :D

Just another bit of trivia on Apocalypse Now (still my all-time favorite movie, bar none): there's a nifty callback in the movie that I have rarely seen discussed...

If you'll notice the very first scene shows Willard's face, half in shadow, upside down as he lays on the bed in the Saigon hotel. At the very end, that same scene is referenced with Willard's face *upright* now, the shadow on the other side of his face, and it directly imitates the serene but sinister shadowed Buddha face on the jungle temple.

Not many people catch that, but it's an awesome detail on Coppola's part. The "bookended" images speak volumes about the change in Willard's character.

My Favorite Examples would have to all be Michael Mann and Christopher Nolan's
TDK-Chicago!!
Heat-L.A
Collateral-L.A. Looked amazing highly recomend getting this film on Blu Ray

I would also like to add Public enemies when Bale is firing the Tommy Gun while the sedan is moving.

Blech. That movie looks like ass. Easily one of the worst looking hollywood films i've ever seen. It looked like a high school production film. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Just another bit of trivia on Apocalypse Now (still my all-time favorite movie, bar none): there's a nifty callback in the movie that I have rarely seen discussed...

If you'll notice the very first scene shows Willard's face, half in shadow, upside down as he lays on the bed in the Saigon hotel. At the very end, that same scene is referenced with Willard's face *upright* now, the shadow on the other side of his face, and it directly imitates the serene but sinister shadowed Buddha face on the jungle temple.

Not many people catch that, but it's an awesome detail on Coppola's part. The "bookended" images speak volumes about the change in Willard's character.

Never noticed that in particular, good spot. But yea, it's probably my favourite film ever too. I loved the scenes with Kurtz talking to Willard in the temple. With his face flicking in and out of the darkness.

I have to say the very recent film Drive had some of the best night time cinematography I've ever seen. Every shot of Ryan in the car was brilliant, especially when all the lights go away except for the light reflecting in his eye and all you see is that and the back ground zipping by. I also have to say David Finchers use of cinematography during the night is also just as masterful.

Fincher does this kind of stuff well. The lovers' lane sceen in Zodiac, for example. Or in Se7en, the gluttony set.

Some of the night shots in V For Vendetta are beautiful, although I'm not completely confident about them because of the use of CGI.

I don't know that it was actually shot outside at night, but there are scenes of darkness in "Night of the Hunter" that really creep me the **** out.

Also, Father Merrin's arriving at the house in "The Exorcist".

The night time of Vienna in The Third Man is absolutely astonishing. That movie has my favorite shadows ever.

http://dominus.ttlg.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2.jpg

Dean Cundey's work with John Carpenter is exemplary. The swallowing darkness of the inside of regular old homes in Halloween, the flare lit nightmare of The Thing. It's just fantastic work.

Michael Mann's night time cinematography especially in digital Hi Def camera use at night time makes for some real crystal clear viewing...

I liked the way the night skies looked in Miami Vice, but other than that, I thought it was a really ugly looking movie.

Fincher used the Viper on Zodiac, and that movie looks a hundred times better than Collateral and Miami Vice.

They used the Cinealta on Tron Legacy, and, even before it goes into The Grid, it looks incomparably better than Public Enemies.

I just don't like Michael Mann and digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"