Favorite Games of Franchises

Spidey-Bat

Ours is the Fury
Reaction score
I'm bored and it's been almost a year since there was a thread on favorite games.

This one is on favorite games on your favorite franchises. I'm only taking into account franchises with more than 2 games, so no Uncharted, Killzone, or the like.

Here are a list of some if you need a refresher:

Super Mario Bros.
Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Metroid
Pokemon
Mario Kart
F-Zero
Castlevania
Smash Bros.
Star Fox
Mega Man
Resident Evil
Street Fighter (I'd include MvC in this)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Metal Gear Solid
F-Zero
Halo
Prince of Persia
Splinter Cell
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto
God of War
Kingdom Hearts
Ratchet & Clank

Super Mario Bros. - Super Mario World Super Mario 64 is a close second, but I ****ing love Super Mario World. Not as many power-ups as Super Mario Bros. 3, but the cape is great (bring this back, dammit! I don't want Mario as a Bee or a Spring) and it was Yoshi's debut.

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time This is like choosing which child you want to save and which one you want to die. All the 3D Zelda games are great and LttP is up there with them. I'd give the edge to Ocarina of Time since it is (or was) the origin story of the series and was pretty groundbreaking in bringing the franchise to 3D. I'd put LttP second.

Metroid - Super Metroid Metroid was a really good and ambitious game for it's time but Super Metroid really took the game to a whole new level and made it far more easy to play. Graphics were top notch for their time (and still look good, IMO), new power-ups were added that have become staples in the series. To put it simply, it is the definitive Metroid game and has been for 16 years.

Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Country I love the series and am really looking forward to the new one on Wii. All 3 on the SNES are just about the same but the first wins because you actually play as Donkey Kong. However, I think Donkey Kong Country Returns will beat it out. The SNES games have so-so graphics (I think they tried to make them psuedo-3D. Shoulda just gone with something like Super Metroid or Super Mario World) and DKCR looks like it will add some new things like combo moves.

Kirby - Kirby: Squeak Squad A recent title but my fav of the series. I like it more than Super Star because it's one large game, you can have a bunch of power ups and activate them whenever. Not much to say on this series because they're all pretty similar. Kirby and the Crystal Shards on the 64 might be my 2nd favorite since you could combine power-ups. The rest of the game was kinda meh though.

Pokemon - Pokemon: SoulSilver Silver, Gold and Crystal were the best generation of Pokemon. Back then adding new Pokemon was exciting whereas some people just roll their eyes at it now (I don't). So naturally the DS remakes are the best. You have all the great new features from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with some other tweaks, you can have Pokemon follow you (first time since Yellow), you get to visit Kanto (the RBY territory) and Johto (introducted in GSC) and some other new areas, and it has the most pokemon you can collect on one cart (There are maybe 20 that you can't and most were legendaries from DPPt as well as the starters). Plus online trading and battling.

Super Smash Bros. - Super Smash Bros. Brawl I played Melee more but Brawl is the better game. More characters, more to do, online. It was overhyped with that website and some hate it because it fixed the glitches people took advantage of in Melee (such as wavedashing. I could never do them so I never cared).

Mario Kart - Mario Kart Wii The graphics aren't as good as Double Dash for some reason but I find it more fun. More characters, you can use bikes or karts, and the heavy characters are actually usable (in Double Dash, you get hit once in a heavy kart and it's over). The only problem is the blue shell somehow has a tendency of hitting you just as you are about to win first place.

Star Fox - Star Fox 64 Much like Super Metroid, Star Fox 64 is the definitive Star Fox game and it's ironically a remake (sorta). It's almost unfortunate it is so great because any subsequent game can only be just as good as it. Assault and Command are the closest but the former had bad on-foot segments (very good soundtrack though) and the latter was somewhat repetitive. I liked the unique ships and alternate endings though.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic 3 + Knuckles This combination is the best. Sonic 3 was the best game of the series and playing it with S&K allowed you to play as the the best character, Knuckles. Everything has been downhill since Sonic 3, too.

Resident Evil - Resident Evil 4 (Wii Edition) I've only played 4 and 1 (GC Remake). I hate the tank controls of 1. 4 I absolutely love and am glad they made the change to a more action-horror. I liked the use of the cursor for aiming instead of the analog stick.

Kingdom Hearts - Kingdom Hearts 1 I liked the first 2 just about the same. But the first had a less confusing storyline and it's one of the few games where I maxed out my character and did just about everything possible (still haven't beaten Sephiroth :csad:).

Mega Man - Mega Man X The NES games are too hard. I liked this one since it added some things like wall jumping and felt easier to me.

God of War - God of War I

Those are the only ones I have a strong opinion on.

Last edited:
Devil May Cry 3 - I like the fact that they gave Dante his sarcastic and brash demeanor back. The difficulty was pretty high, but once you mastered his moves, you could put any enemy through hell.

Tekken 6 - IMO i feel like Tekken gets better with every game that comes out. Even if your not into the storyline of the games, the fighting itself is very solid and it moves fluid.

Doom 3 - I remember playing the original Doom and I was like "well i guess its cool." Years later I played Doom 3 and it was hard for me to put it down, there's moments that will creep you the **** out, great game.

Super Street Fighter 4 - This is exactly how you do a next gen 2D fighter, it combined the best of the original 2D games and redone all of the characters and stages to fit with todays graphics. Pretty much it killed those forgettable EX games.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks - Don't get me wrong, the fighting games are cool to a degree, but this game stands out to me and I regard it as being the best of the MK games. Come on, you get to play as Kung Lao and mutilate anybody with that sick ass hat. I said it before and I'll say it again Liu Kang < Kung Lao

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - This game was a few steps in the right direction, I was glad that they gave it the over the shoulder viewpoint. I'm not the biggest Ghost Recon fan, but GRAW definately stands out.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - If you remember that horrible Prince of Persia for the Dreamcast, it probably would have put you off from ever wanting to play another one. Luckily this game had everything going for it, good controls, cool moves, good storyline.

Fight Night Round 2 - I was glad when Knockout Kings evolved into Fight Night, the control scheme was perfect, and it's downright hilarious to instantly K.O. someone and watch them ragdoll all the way to the floor.:awesome:

My list got way too long, so I narrowed it down to franchises that I really like and have more than three full games.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Final Fantasy IX
Halo: Combat Evolved
Mega Man 3
Mega Man X2
Metal Gear Solid
Rainbow Six 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Street Fighter IV
World of Warcraft

Hrm...what franchises have I played...

Halo - Halo 3; although I bet Halo: Reach will change my mind.

Assassin's Creed - Assassin's Creed; I enjoy the Third Crusade setting moreso than the setting for ACII and Brotherhood. Very eager to see what the third game of the main series has in store.

Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2.

Gears of War - Gears of War.

BioShock - BioShock 2.

Fable - Fable II.

I know; I haven't played as much as everyone else...but, I'm very picky when it comes to games, lol. I'm picky with everything, really, haha.

Halflife
Fear
System Shock 2
Homeworld
Battlefield 2
Baldurs Gate II
Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear
Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)
Dirt 2
MDK
Team Fortress 2
Arma II
Rome: Total War

Alot of these don't have a third game, there's actually not too many that come to mind.

Last edited:
Hrm...what franchises have I played...

Halo - Halo 3; although I bet Halo: Reach will change my mind.

Assassin's Creed - Assassin's Creed; I enjoy the Third Crusade setting moreso than the setting for ACII and Brotherhood. Very eager to see what the third game of the main series has in store.

Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2.

Gears of War - Gears of War.

BioShock - BioShock 2.

Fable - Fable II.

I know; I haven't played as much as everyone else...but, I'm very picky when it comes to games, lol. I'm picky with everything, really, haha.

He said games with MORE than 2 titles, most of those don't have more than 2 games in their franchise, altho i guess they will eventually.

I said I was only considering franchises with 3 games or more. I'm not going to be a dictator with rules.

I said I was only considering franchises with 3 games or more. I'm not going to be a dictator with rules.

Haha, it doesnt really matter any way, all of those games either have 3 games or more or will within the next year or so.

Okay I gots a few.

Metal Gear Solid - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: No only the best in the series but my favorite game of all time. MGS3 is a homerun hit with a great story and the most hardcore stealth the series has offered. Gameplay was perfect, a patient, slow trudge through the forest packed with awesome weapons and the best graphics the PS2 has to offer. Amazing, amazing game.

Runner up - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: The latest entry takes 2nd place, despite being a PSP game. Returning to the Snake Eater story with controls that hold up surprisingly well on the system, packing in so many Extra OPs that the game nearly never stops, a stunningly good entry.

Fallout - Fallout: The second entry in the franchise though awesome doesn't change enough and the thrid is pretty horrible imo. Fallout is the perfect blend of turn-based fighting in an RPG packed with atmosphere, black comedy, and dogmeat. Everything Fallout 3 gets praise for either started here or was a stripped down version of. Without question, the ultimate post-apocalyptic game.

Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions: This PSP remake turns out to be one of an FF n00b's favorite games of all time. Challenging, with a great story and plenty of content, this is the PSP game to beat for RPGs.

Metroid - Super Metroid: I honestly think we'll never get another game as unique, intellegent and all-round compelling as Super Metroid. I love the original games and the Prime series, but the way this one just captures the atmosphere so incredibly well with the structure of upgrading that can be picked apart endlessly by speed running etc, just fantastic.

God of War - God of War: Chains of Olympus: The PSP game that could holds a personal high note for me as it was the game that got me back into the series. I really didn't enjoy God of War, the design was amazing but the combat system just wasn't sharp enough. CoO showed me that things had been refined into a much better experience, making me go back and complete the awesome God of War 2 and eventually the stunning God of War 3.

Jak series - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy: The focus on platforming, Crash Bandicoot-like attacks, no gun, and a lighter tone make this still the best Jak game, one of Naughty Dog's best, and one of my favorite games. Jak and Daxter is an epic adventure that I've enjoyed playing time and time again and sealed Naughty Dog off as masters of game development for me.

Just a few of mine I guess.

Halo- Halo 3
Call of Duty- Call of Duty 4
Half-Life- Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Capcom Vs.- Marvel vs Capcom 2
Spider-Man- Spider-Man 2
Mario- Super Mario Bros 3

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - I saw that game as a rather good ending to the Fatal Fury fighting games. I remember being suprised to see that SNK had the balls to change Terry's design, it looked awesome IMO, but cant ever turn your back on the classic red vest and Chuck Taylors.

Medal of Honor: Frontlines - I considered this game to be the last of the good MOH games, everything else seemed to not be as good as this game.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 - the game had it all, cel-shaded look to mimic the show, the fireballs were perfect. They should have stopped here.

Spider-Man 2 - Even though it had a few elements from the film, the fact that you could take a bad guy, jump of a building doing a spinning piledriver all the way down to the city streets instantly makes this game awesome.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Badass guns, badass enemies, and a gun that made the sky look like Armageddon. Turok was great

Super Mario Bros. - Super Mario World
Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
Mega Man - Mega Man 3
Resident Evil - Resident Evil 3
Street Fighter - SFIV
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic 3
Prince of Persia - Prince of Persia (2008)
Final Fantasy - FFX
Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas
God of War - God of War 1
Kingdom Hearts - Kingdom Hearts 1
Mortal Kombat - Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Metal Gear - MGS3

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)

Mario Kart (SNES)

Midnight Club 2 (PS2)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (XBOX)

Zone of the Enders (PS2)

Those are some of my all time favorite games.

Grand Theft Auto - Grand Theft Auto IV

Max payne - Max Payne

Fallout - Fallout 3

Elder Scrolls - Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

Red Dead - Red Dead Redemption

Metal Gear Solid (I don't have a Playstation 3. I have an Xbox 360, so i haven't played Metal Gear Solid IV) - MEtal Gear Solid III

Splinter Cell - This is a tough one. It would have to be a cross between Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Splinter Cell Double Agent.

Assassins Creed - Assassins Creed II

Spider-Man - Spider-Man 2

Halo - Halo COmbat Evovled (I'm not a big fan of Halo though. I still think the coolest sooter is Duke Nukem.

I have alot more I can list.

My favorite series is Halo, I just love the lore the series has....oh, and the gameplay is quite excellent too.

Haha, it doesnt really matter any way, all of those games either have 3 games or more or will within the next year or so.

See, I'm not in the wrong here, lol.

And, Assassin's Creed is pretty much a franchise in its own right. Not all of the games are on 360 or PS3, but it has at least six games already to its name.

And..all of those games I lsited have their respected third game coming up soon except for BioShock...man, I hope they don't waste that opportunity over a BioShock 3.

Super Mario Bros. - Gotta go with Mario 64, it had one of my favorite elements of Mario in the varied worlds, Normal, Snow, Fire, Water, Subterrian, etc., plus giving us true 3D platforming.

Legend of Zelda - I'm going to give this one to A Link to the Past, it was a great game that totally expanded the universe, loved the dark world dynamic. Ocarina was great, but that damn water temple drops it a couple points.

Metroid - Metroid Prime without a doubt, loved the way the game made the move to 3D. Seeing the world through Samus' eyes was awesome and helped the isolated feel of the series, plus the use of the different visors and the way you could switch beams, instead of just building upon the last powerup was great.

Donkey Kong - I gotta go with Donkey Kong 64, I'm a sucker for "collecting" platformers like this and the Banjo Kazooies. I didn't mind in any way playing the same level 5 times to finish it with each character, I thought it was great.

Mega Man - The original, no doubt about it, While 2 and 3 were great, I found them to be pretty damn easy, especially since you had the passwords. The original had to be played in one sitting, which made it so much harder, plus that Dr. Wily stage is ridiculously hard.

GTA - San Andreas, it was the first I really played all the way through, I thought it was incredible building upon the GTA3 engine/design. 4 was good, but drops down for me since you couldn't buy any properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"