Favorite Examples of Nighttime Cinematography

ai-artificialintelligence16.jpg

^ That looks like a high schooler did it....

No high schooler can shoot like he can or capture action as well. (Hell most directors in Hollywood can't either.) He's going for true verite style and he did it well, especially considering how different it is from other period pieces.

Roger Deakins. for example Jarhead.

alright, I recognize apocalypse now, social network, fight club, third man, goodfellas, and the insider. what are the other ones?

My Favorite Examples would have to all be Michael Mann and Christopher Nolan's
TDK-Chicago!!
Heat-L.A
Collateral-L.A. Looked amazing highly recomend getting this film on Blu Ray

Agree with all of these examples! :up:

Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, and No Country For Old Men first come to mind.

Adam Greenberg - T1 and T2. I realize people don't like that blue hue that James Cameron uses for color correction but I don't think it takes away from the night shots we get in those movies.

I love Cameron blue. T2 is a fantastic looking movie. I can't think of another movie that looks quite like it. I really love the grainy, rough look of the first movie too.

No high schooler can shoot like he can or capture action as well. (Hell most directors in Hollywood can't either.) He's going for true verite style and he did it well, especially considering how different it is from other period pieces.

No film should ever be allowed to look like a TV film. It's horrible.

That's what I mean by high schooler. They dont know how films should look, so they use the camera on the easiest setting. Hence the film looking like a pile of crap.

Hated Public Enemies. Ugly, poor, and grainy. Like a cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, TV film.

How films should look? So you know more about the cameras than Mann or Spinotti? The whole point was to remove the gloss of film, and the typical period look that people were accustomed to. It's Mann continuing the style he started with Collateral. He's not interested in mimicking film, like Fincher has, he's doing something different. (And no, tv movies don't look like his films.) It's placing you in that situation, rather than observing it.

Verite is truth, by going for Verite he should truth....truth is the truth, pure and simple, whether by night or day, truth is truth and it is reality, his films happened, they had physical people there, shooting, with cameras and set ups... no CGI was used, not fake, it's a real real film and it happened

^ No CGI used? What about that absolutely horrid shot of Depps face mapped on to the stunt doubles body, that they even used in the trailer? Also the blood shooting out of his face.

Cinema verite is fine, but it can and has been done on film. The use of digital on that film was to its detriment. Rather than a movie it looked like the let the special features maker shoot the whole damn thing.

Pretty much every scene at night in Drive. Especially loved the part in the opening chase where they were on the freeway and the Police Choppers spot light was beaming around looking for them.

Verite is truth, by going for Verite he should truth....truth is the truth, pure and simple, whether by night or day, truth is truth and it is reality, his films happened, they had physical people there, shooting, with cameras and set ups... no CGI was used, not fake, it's a real real film and it happened

And it still looked like complete crap. Intentions and goodwill mean jack if you don't have work that is actually worthwhile. The fidelity isn't even there. It's grainy, blurry, murky looking claptrap that is a straight up eyesore.

How films should look? So you know more about the cameras than Mann or Spinotti?
Nice Argument from Authority. Mann and Spinotti's past laurels mean jack**** if you look at an image they made and it just doesn't work.

And no, tv movies don't look like his films.
You're right. A lot of TV flat out looks better than Mann's last 3 movies.

Last edited:
Nice Argument from Authority. Mann and Spinotti's past laurels mean jack**** if you look at an image they made and it just doesn't work.
It isn't an argument from authority, it's common sense. Mann and Spinotti are some of the best in their respective fields for decades. Do you honestly believe they just "picked the easiest setting" or "don't know how films should look?" There is no defined way how a film should look. They chose that route for a specific reason, not because they became inept, despite what you want to believe.

Last edited:
Mann used a new technology and kind of sucked at it. It happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"